+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never paid board but I moved out at 17 to go to uni. While I lived at home and was at high school, I got a casual job when I was 14 and a half. I saved $50 a week from my pay and the rest was mine to spend on entertainment (usually $30 extra).

Mum and Dad paid my rent while I was at uni, while I used my savings to pay for my Uni textbooks and fees. By second year at uni I had a part time job which I used for entertainment, food etc. I didn't receive anything from Centrelink.

As for my DD, I probably won't charge her board while she's at high school and probably won't charge her while she's studying full time at uni (well, if she does go to uni).

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I didn't. And no, I don't think I will charge my kids board unless I have to. I would just make them pay for their own car, phone, that type of thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkzy View Post
    Sounds similar to my brother. Late 20s, still lives at home, is cooked and cleaned for (including having his laundry done and anything he wants he can write down on the shopping list)...my parents go away a lot of weekends just so he can have the house to himself . No wonder he won't leave home...

He pays a little each week, think it's around $50. Not much considering he's on 40k a year.
    Yea mine will never leave, he has it to good. Including a free babysitter when his kids visit. & has no savings at all.

He has a full time well paying job also. Kinda frustrating as my mum never let up on me even in hard times, and i dont get babysitting.

And i forsee this becoming my other brothers situation also as hes a teen & is treated as thou his an infant. Haha

Anyway, if my kids had a job i suppose i would charge an amount (once yr12 has finished) i guess you would need to as you would no longer recieve a ftb income for them.

However i do like pp about saving that money & surprising them with it when they move out.

For me, my concern, i want my kids to stay home untill they finished uni, got a great dream job/well on tgeir way to the dream job.

And are finacially stable with savings!
    I want them to know how hard life is to tge point their strong enough to deal with what life tgrows.

However i want it to be easy so tgey can successfully set tgemselves up & because tgey have tgeir whole lives to see the pains of life.

But tgeir still my littles babies, i hope they never leave me hehe

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did. From 15 or 16 I think from memory. I won't ask that of my kids...

Or maybe I will and then take that money and secretly save/invest it and surprise them when they're adults.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions. Either way, I wouldn't pocket it myself, let's put it that way. I hated it then and I still think it sucks But my mum has bled me of cash for a long time now so I should be used to it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I will charge my kids board if they aren't studying. But they can live for free in my place and just pay for their own phone and petrol etc if at uni or tafe. Hopefully this will be incentive for them to be educated. yes I paid board once I got centrelink and I think that was fair but I was really broke and I think that's half the reason I chose work over study. The other half is lazyness!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I started paying board when I started working part-time at 12 and 9 months (or was it 13 and 9 months you could start back then?) anyway...it started out at $50 a week and when I started working fulltime it went to $200 my parents covered food (normal family meals), utilities and internet I had to pay for everything else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did pay board from the time that I was 16 or so.
    I paid $50 a week, plus food.

I was working and getting $150 a week, and then Youth Allowance, so mum kept my YA and I contributed more if it was reduced due to greater earnings.

I think it will depend on my own financial status if I will charge board or not, but I do think that teenagers need to have some idea of living costs so they can learn what it is like in the big bad world

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents' approach was that as long as we were studying full time we didn't have to pay board and they would cover all of the necessities - food, text books, home phone/internet, car rego etc. Anything else - mobile phone, petrol, hair and beauty, clothes, holidays we had to cover ourselves.

Once we stopped studying we had to pay board (from memory it was about $250/month) which covered food, home phone etc.

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    no. my brother has to pay a bit, like, $40? which is nothing for what he earns (even when he was doing his apprenticeship) and doesn't even come close to paying for his food but mum thought it was important to do that. not sure what she did/does with the other three, or with my sister who's already out and living with her fiance. i do know that she encourages them to have a job.
    but she never charged me any, and in any case i would never have been able to afford it. never got youth allowance, never occurred to me or my parents to get it, and dad's a partner in a law firm so they would never have approved it anyway.

i don't know if i would with my kids. i guess it would depend on their work/study situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter has been working since she was 14 she didnt have to pay bord till she was 16 years old now she pays 100 dollars aweek for bord and 30 dollars a week for a computer we bought for her that she wanted and she agreed to pay it back .