+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No I didn't. I moved out just after my 18th birthday but had been working full time for three years before then. I saved my money, my p's didn't need the money and they would rather see us save than pay them to live in their house. My sister moved out at 21..my p's gave her the ultimatum to get out or start paying board (as she had finished uni then) so she got out!

I won't charge my kids board unless we really need the money, or they waste their money. If they waste their money then I'll charge board but put it in a savings account for them so they have something behind them when they wake up to themselves and be sensible.

DH always says he'd rather our kids moved out and we helped them financially while they got on their feet rather than our kids paying board and living at home forever! He moved countries when he had just turned 17, me out of my house at 18 and none of our kids are welcome to live with us past the age of 25 (DH says 20, I say 25!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope but once i was 15 i was paying my own way entirely as i was a mum. My mum however tried to charge me double what she was allowed & rooted me out of money for years!

My brother though whos in his thirties still lives at home, & still pays nothing & is cooked & cleaned for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    You get it if under 25 (I think) and studying. But I'm pretty sure you don't get it in highschool? I thought it was just a uni/tafe thing. I wasn't entitled to it while living at home because there was a means test and my parents earnt too much. I got the full amount once I had moved out of home.
    You start receiving it from the age.of 16 if studying and your parents income is low enough. FTB for the child stops and youth allowence kicks in. You would get the choice of having the money paid directly to the child or the parent could keep it.
    I know youth allowence has changed recently- not sure how though. It's been 10 years since I received it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Last edited by HarvestMoon; 05-01-2012 at 07:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, I never paid board. No, I won't be charging my kids board.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    My brother though whos in his thirties still lives at home, & still pays nothing & is cooked & cleaned for
    Sounds similar to my brother. Late 20s, still lives at home, is cooked and cleaned for (including having his laundry done and anything he wants he can write down on the shopping list)...my parents go away a lot of weekends just so he can have the house to himself . No wonder he won't leave home...

He pays a little each week, think it's around $50. Not much considering he's on 40k a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    You start receiving it from the age.of 16 if studying and your parents income is low enough. FTB for the child stops and youth allowence kicks in. You would get the choice of having the money paid directly to the child or the parent could keep it.
    I know youth allowence has changed recently- not sure how though. It's been 10 years since I received it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    As it stands atm on your 16th birthday your parents stop getting FTB and the child gets YA. The child decides who gets the money. This is about to change and it will go back tot he old system where mum and dad get as ftb while the child is still at school. This is because the kids weren't giving the money to mum and dad to help look after them (which is what the money is suppose to be for)

Once a child turns 18 the money can no longer go into mum or dad's account.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I did.

I got austudy?? and I also worked at Coles 3 arvo a week.

My parents kept the austudy and I kept my Coles money. I never knew how much austudy I got though. Might have only been $10 since I worked.

Yes I will be charging my kids board. I think it helps lessen the blow of paying rent or mortgage if they are used to giving money in exchange for somewhere to live.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I paid board to my mum. She moved out of the family home when I was 17 because she met someone who lived interstate. Because I was a 2nd year apprentice at the time (earning $270 a week), she rented the whole 3 bedroom house to me for $100 and I had to pay power/internet etc. I lived there alone for almost 2 years til I finished trade before she sold the house.
    When my son starts working, I will be charging him board. It taught me financial responsibility. Hopefully I am in the position by then to put the whole amount into a bank account towards DS's house deposit though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I paid board depending on how much I made. By the time I was 16 I was working 5-6 days a week and going to school. I worked till 1am got home at 2am got up for school at 7am pretty much everyday.
    I didnt really have a choice at the time.
    It was to much for me and my school work suffered.
    Then the weekend was more work.
    In one way I learnt a lot about life but in another way it was too much for a 16 yr old kid.
    I would never put my kids through that. I will charge board but I won't expect then to work more then one or 2 days a week.
    I had to buy all my own books, clothes, school uniform everything.
    It sucked at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes. As soon I finished grade 12. I think it was $50 per week ( i had a full time job). It didnt bother me as it was alot cheaper then moving out.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub