+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When we were still living at home and no longer studying we each paid a % of our earnings to our parents as "board" - we got a very good deal!!

Me + DH = DD! (4/4/10)
    & now baby #2 is on the way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I had to pay board as soon as high school was finished and I got a full time job to save to go overseas to live at 18. My parents also took my Austudy whilst I was at high school to pay for my weekly bus fare to school, tex books etc.

Do I think it's fair to charge children board? Yes, obviously not an exhorbitant amount, but I know it helped me to learn to budget, economise and value responsibility. At the time I thought I was really hard done by, but now I think it put me in good stead to be able to live independantly without hand outs from my parents once I left School etc.

Will I charge my children board?
    It's a long way off yet, but with three DDs and the cost of sanitary items, hell yeah I will charge them board! In all seriousness, yes, I think I will charge them board when the time comes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Did you pay board as a teenager or young adult while still living at home?

15yo, both my parents moved out. I stayed at home (free rent & electricity) and my father gave me $30pw to pay my own expenses, and feed the two dogs (fox terriers). The house was shared by myself, my brother (19yo), and a boarder. We each did our own shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc.

16yo, I got Austudy (approx $45pw) and free rent (including electricity). I still had to feed the dogs (including buying their food).

17yo, My father sold the house so I had to move out. The dogs went to Dad, and I was looking at a share house for $50pw ($200pw split between four). Instead my mother offerred me a room for $50pw so I took that instead. I got free electricity and household consumables (toilet paper, laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent), but was still otherwise completely independant (including shopping and cooking my own food).

Do you think it's fair to charge your children board, or does it depend - i.e.: age and how much they work?

The money has to come from somewhere, so yes I do think it is reasonable. I had always planned on separating each childs Family Payment and itemising all their expenses to take from that - but the record keeping got too much and it fell by the wayside. (Note: For this purpose, I was always intending on treating them as receiving the maximum rate of Family Payment irrespective of it being reduced by my income.)

Will you charge your children board?

Options are basically either:
    * I keep the Family Payment / Youth Allowance and cover all reasonable expenses (If childs income is high enough to reduce payments, then they make up the shortfall), or
    * Child keeps the Family Payment / Youth Allowance and pays board. (If my income is reducing the rate paid by centrelink, then I need to subsidise the child by that amount.)
    Last edited by sweetseven; 04-01-2012 at 23:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No I never did but DH did, his parents made them all get part time jobs when they turned 14 , he is adamant he won't do that with DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes i did but not to my parents as i wasnt living at home as a teen. When i moved back home at 20 as i was pregnant, mum kept my keycard and i had rarely any money apart from travel money.

Then once coop was born some weeks i was paying up to $400 a fortnight and i also had to get baby stuff out of it including food as mum didnt shop for him.

I hated paying board at home as i personally felt like i overpayed.

My sister only ever payed $50 a week but that was usually given back to her.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did in a way. Once I was 18 I was studying part time and working full time. I was also not home a lot - at work during the day and out quite a few evenings having dinner with friends, etc. The big thing that I did use at home though was electricity so I paid half of it and then my mum and nan split the rest. So it was about $200 a quarter. Not a lot but like I said I only really slept and showered there, and laundry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, never paid any board or any bills. I moved out at 21 but then back in and out a few more times until finally moving out for good at 26. In that time I never paid board or for food or bills. Unless there was something I bought myself while at the shops like snacks etc.

I wasn't studying either after high school. I worked part-time from 14 and full time from 17. My money was mine to save and spend as I wanted. I did pay my own phone bill and car bills etc though (with help from mum and dad on rego/insurance sometimes).

I won't be charging my kids anything, nor would I charge my step kids anything if they lived with us full time. Unless they were still living at home at 30, haha. Then I probably would! I would expect them to cover their mobile phone though and car/petrol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Once I finished school (17) I paid board I was living at my (now ex) boyfriend's parents house. I had a mortgage by 19.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I started working at 14, and paid $100 a week until I was 17. (I earnt $200 a week)
    but my mum actually saved around $50 of that each week, and we used to to get a car when I moved out. (I had no idea she was saving it)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    What is youth allowance? Does it go to parents or child? It's it income tested? I never got it I don't think unless my old man kept it? I used to get child endowment when I was young, four times I yr but I think that stopt in high school, is it same thing.
    You get it if under 25 (I think) and studying. But I'm pretty sure you don't get it in highschool? I thought it was just a uni/tafe thing. I wasn't entitled to it while living at home because there was a means test and my parents earnt too much. I got the full amount once I had moved out of home.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast