+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We all know people like that lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I paid board when I started working at 15 what I didn't know was
    Mum and dad put it aside and when I moved out at 19 they used it to help me buy furniture etc. I am so grateful to them for that

Birdistheword is offline Frightened little child, bird is the word!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. Paid since I was 16 and it was a percent of my centrelink. I think it was equal to 80 bucks a week maybe? When my sister started getting centrelink she paid the same percent. ANNDD this percent was kept while we both started working. So my parents ended up getting a bit more cash for themselves, which they deserved =) When I went to uni I used my cash I saved up from working to pay for my uni accomodation, clothes, food, drinks (you get the idea)

You know what? I am super greatful. It really taught me about money and I felt great being able to pay my own way rather than have someone else pay for me. I also felt like I gave back to my parents for those first 16 years of being an unappreciative kid.

Oh I will also add we as a family split the powerbill and water bill =)
    Last edited by Birdistheword; 04-01-2012 at 21:58.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Did you pay board as a teenager or young adult while still living at home?

Do you think it's fair to charge your children board, or does it depend - i.e.: age and how much they work?

Will you charge your children board?
    Didnt read any posts so this is 100% untainted Lol

No, I didnt pay board....but I moved out a month before my 16th birthday. My brother stayed living with my dad well into his 20's. He never paid board.

I'd like to think I wont charge DS board when he's older. The way the housing prices are going, I expect it'll be near on impossible for him to get out of home early and be comfortable. Of course in the end it will come down to alot of factors, but I hope that I dont need or feel the need to charge him board when he is older

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What is youth allowance? Does it go to parents or child? It's it income tested? I never got it I don't think unless my old man kept it? I used to get child endowment when I was young, four times I yr but I think that stopt in high school, is it same thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not until I had a full time job after finishing uni (22 y.o). Even then I paid for part of the utilities bills, not room board. I moved out at 25 and was overseas for a year in between.

I won't charge my kids board while they're still studying. Even when they get a full time job, I'd charge phone/Internet and utilities usage rather than room board. The room would be here regardless of whether they were in it or not so for us, charging room board would actually be a profit which I'm not comfortable with.

In saying that I would expect they'd be saving a deposit for a house or looking to move out. If after a couple of years of working full time there was no sign that either of these were going to happen, I'd probably consider charging room board. Mostly as an incentive to have them move out. I'm not a fan of 30 year olds living at home with a full time job and zero responsibility otherwise. Obviously if my kid has problems and needs somewhere to stay, I'd always welcome them back into our home. I'm more referring to the "kidults" who happily live off their parents for no other reason than "they can".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    depends on how the housing market continues

saving for a deposit for a house I find is a bit of a joke these days, will our kids actually be able to afford a home in 15-20 years time in my opinion no

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No I didn't, and no, I don't have plans to charge my children.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I paid $50 a week throughout uni (forgot a lot though!) and moved out during third year. I moved out because I was sick of paying mum and doing chores etc and I preferred the idea of spending more on rent but having more freedom.

I'm happy now. Mum always taught me to be good with money and while I have no savings ATM, that's because in the last few years I've travelled and saved about $15,000 in total to spend 6 months in Africa, the USA and Europe.

DP and I now live together and earn about $85k a year between us and are living very comfortably and planning to TTC this year. We will have saved about $20k by the end of the year.

I wouldn't be such a disciplined saver if I'd gotten to keep every scrap of money I'd earned.

Oh, and I never was elligible for centrelink; I've been working since I was 13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No, I didn't.

If DD drops out of school early, she can get a job and pay board. Otherwise she will get to live at home for free until she finished school. I think I'll give her the first year of uni (or first year after school anyway) for free... as long as she's studying or working (or trying to find work). I won't accept her just slacking off doing nothing.

I'll do basic foods and she'll get use of the stuff in the house, etc... but anything extra she wants, she'll have to fork out in addition to board. I'm not buying fancy shampoos or any such thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast