+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No, my youth allowance was my board, and it stayed that way until I stopped going to uni.
    When I started working full-time then I started paying board.
    I can't get over how many people I know who's parents let them have their youth allowance to spend on clothes or going out and paid for their textbooks, uniforms, school fees, etc out of their own pocket.
    In my eyes, youth allowance is there to help cover the costs of your education. Any leftover can cover living costs, but it isn't personal teen spending money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    DH has said he will buy each kid an apartment and they can pay rent to live in it, which will go straight on the mortgage.
    This will be their nest egg and will only be given once they have completed uni or a trade.
    I wish your hubby was my dad!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersInstinct View Post
    I wish your hubby was my dad!
    You can be Beryl, I'll be Agnes.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (04-01-2012),Littlemissmetal  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't pay board until I had been working full time for a while. Even then it was a nominal amount - $35/week which increased to $50/week by my choice. My parents were very generous and supportive and as my brother and I were saving lots as well as purchasing and running cars and having o/s holidays - they were happy for us to only pay a little bit as they didn't "need" the money anyway, really. If we were working full time and blowing all our money then that would have been different. It's the same stance I hope to take with my kids one day.

I don't believe in board for kids until they are working full time. I think it's mean to charge your kids board when they are still in school and earning a pittance at a part-time job. I would be insisting on them contributing to the household by way of chores but not money.

I think the austudy/youth allowance thing is a bit different though. AFAIK, you get that because your parents earn under a certain amount? In that case, I can totally understand that money going to mum and dad to help offset the cost of their student..it's not really "play" money IMO.

I love the forced savings idea! If I had/have an irresponsible kid who couldn't manage his/her money, I would definitely do that as well.

Farmerwife is offline Excited & Nervous about being a mum for the first time in August :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm... I feel pretty spoilt after reading all these. We never paid board (5 children) as teenagers & then when moved out for study (had to move to the city) mum & dad paid our rent, car expenses, utilities bills & any Uni costs. We covered all our other items (clothes, going out etc). Mum & dad have just one left at high school, who will go to Uni & one in a final year & one in first year.

One of my sisters who is 26 is back living at home, has been living there for the last 3 1/2 years & she doesn't pay rent, works full time in a high paying job. She is building a house so is saving her money for that. This only bothers me because she treats mum & dad pretty poorly & complains alot about being at home but if she wanted to she could just move out but she would rather save her money so it's her choice but I think she should treat mum & dads as "their home" and act like a guest in someone elses home rather than treat it as the "family home" if that makes sense?

Anyway the other thing to know about our family is mum & dad are farmers so from a very very young age we have had to "pull our weight". While there wasn't a dollar value on living at home it was expected you contributed to the household & we all spent many hours working on the farm before school, after school, weekends, holidays. It's just what you did. Then when we were at Uni we all worked all Uni holidays for mum & dad doing long hours driving tractors. We would get paid for alot of this which would be our money to spend during the semester then some went towards the costs mum & dad paid for us.

We still had to be responsible as we needed to make sure our money from the summer lasted but we did have the luxury of not worrying about living costs when focusing on studying.

Farming lifestyles can be a bit different from the norm & I feel this way of growing up is ok & I will probably do the same for my children since I married a farmer & will teach them to work on the farm to learn responsibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I moved out while completing my HSC at 16 - turning 17. Mum helped me pay my rent with my 'share' of the payment she got from my dad.

I starting working at 14 but it was 3 hours on a Saturday = about $20 back then!

When my kids are old enough to start working I would like to set up savings/board account for them...to teach them how to be wise with their income.

I have 'daydreamed' about being able to buy old houses - renovate them and have them as rentals until Ds1, DS2 and DD are old enough to take on teh investment for themselves -- but ..It's only a day dream. [unless I win lotto..or sell LOTS of enjo ]

The idea of board is fair to me, especially with the high cost of living.

Thanks
    Reviews
    lol...will go move the fake beryl and agnes out of their beds!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (04-01-2012),Littlemissmetal  (04-01-2012)

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No, we (4kids) never paid board. Mum would have had a fit at the thought. I had 2 jobs through uni though to save up for an overseas trip and to pay for going out with friends etc.

I really want to do the same with my kids. Hopefully they'll always have a free home with me. *note - I say that now, but if I end up with a 30 year old living at home with me whilst working full time and doing no housework I do reserve the right to completely change my tune *

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope I moved away for uni at 17 and had to pay for everything myself. I had a student loan and also had to work part time the whole way through. My DH (who I met at uni) was subsidised the whole way through and now has no student loan (thank god we don't both have one! It's much higher than the ones you get in Aus as we were in the UK). TBH I take pride in the fact that I have been financially dependant for so long and it made me manage money much better than my peers, and we are currently in a pretty strong financial situation. Having said that, I think I would compromise and perhaps assist with my kids rent while at uni, and they could work part time for their living expenses, etc as it was really tough at times. I also never got driving lessons paid for which I would not do to my own kids as it meant I did not learn until I was 23.

Things are very different here in Aus and it fascinates me how long kids stay at home for. I would encourage my kids to move out for uni, assuming they end up going. I know all the arguments about house prices, etc but it is the same everywhere and people in other countries still tend to move out younger. I loved my share house experiences and as a future parent, can't think of anything worse than still doing my kids washing and cooking for them at 25 (which is the case for people I know - not saying this happens across the board).

Anyway that is a long way off and obviously we are all coloured by our own experiences. I don't know any different so can't make a fair comparison I suppose! In other countries more kids move away for uni, which I think contributes greatly to the older leaving home age here in Oz. Not sure why people tend to stay in their home city here more than other places although I guess there are not as many choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My mother started charging us board once we hit 16 and started receiving youth allowence.
    I had to pay $50 out of mine as board and the rest was to cover my own expenses.
    I turned 17 just before finishing school and moved out a few months later so i only paid it for just over a year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast