+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default **spin off** Did you pay board as a teenager?

Did you pay board as a teenager or young adult while still living at home?

Do you think it's fair to charge your children board, or does it depend - i.e.: age and how much they work?

Will you charge your children board?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't nope although for 3 Yeats of Uni I've lived out of home and paid 150 a week rent

I couldn't afford to pay boar at home as my centrelink halves when I move home I however contribute to food etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I left home for good in the summer btw school and uni, so it didn't arise.

My partner lived at home for 5 years after he finished school, and was working. He paid his parents some nominal amount of $20 pw. he squirreled the money away, and had a couple of os hols, and the rest was the house deposit when we later bought.

I guess he freeloaded a bit, but conversely they have never had to give him any money as he was fully self sufficient when he left, whereas some people's parents pay their out of home living expenses.

I don't think I would charge my kids if they were studying or in a low paid job, but I would hope by then we will be financially comfortable so wouldn't need the money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mum started charging me board as soon as I got a job at 14

I think while my kids are in school/uni I wouldn't charge them, but if they are living at home and just working that they need to learn to pay their way. At least $50.00 a week? Depending like you said on how much they were earning.

DP has a friend that at the tender age of 28!! Still lives at home and has NEVER paid a cent and works a full time job I think that is nutso!
    Last edited by chubby bunny; 04-01-2012 at 20:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I paid board from the day I started working (14) to the day I left home (19).

At the time I thought it was most unfair, but now I am SO glad I did. It taught me how to look after myself financially. I think learning to pay my own way from a young age is a very big contributing factor as to why I am the only person my age I know who doesn't have any debt.

I think it is fair and a good idea, but that is just my own experience. People I meet often comment that for them it is weird that at 22 I was more financially stable than they were in their mid 30s, but it makes sense if I started learning at 14 and they started at 25 (most didn't move out of home until they got married).

I will charge my kids board. I will also charge them a % of their pay for their savings account.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i didnt pay board as i didnt have a job, i wasnt expected to get a job while i was doing my HSC.

when i turned 18 and finished school i was expected to find a job, and yes pay my own way. i ended up leaving home before that happened in my with dh (he lived a couple of hours away) as there was just no work where i was.

i will expect my sons to get a job if they are not studying (once they finish school) as far as paying board goes, i doubt i will, but if they are monster eaters and they can chip in for the grocery bill!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked pt from 14 and paid $50/week board, then ft at 17 and paid $80/week. I alsoaid a bit towards the bills and groceries and bought all my own peronal items from 14 (pads, toothbrush, etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No. Mum always said whilst studying, no board. I supported myself through uni. (fees books travel food etc) so they were happy to have me living there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I paid board - when I was in Uni and earning a good wage from the pub.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope have never paid board at my dad's place. While I was at uni Dad covered all my expenses, like my petrol, car maintenance and rego, phone bill, books etc. I worked for him once or twice a week and he paid me $75 a day and that would be my spending money.

When I started work Dad stop paying for my bills and I took them on myself. So I used to pay for all my car, my phone etc.

I don't think I would charge my kids board, but at the same time I think I need to teach them the value of money and importance of being responsiuble which I kinda missed on.

I wouldn't charge them at highscool, but I would expect them to work part time to pay for their own entertainment and also save some money. Once they were working I would expect them to pay board and if I didn't need the money I would put it away for them.