+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DS is fussy and barely eating - help and tips to fix it please.

Hi all.

The babies eating badly thread has me nearly in tears as we struggle through another meal.

Long story short- DS was very sick on and off for a few months and stopped eating. Paediatrician diagnosed post viral anorexia (loss of appetite due to illness)

Basically he said appetite will return one day and to not fight about food or let ds go hungry. But when it comes to crunch time- we are barely getting anythin in and a lot is junky because he has to eat. He used to eat fruit and veg by the bucket load- he loved chicken korma and butter chicken- all home cooked. Nowas an example we try meatballs with tomato sauce- 1 bite then tantrum, pizza- no dice, chees- a few bites, peas and corn, 1 kernal of corn- desperation time- jam sandwich on white bread-80%consumed and a squeezie yoghurt pack.

He has dropped from the 90th percentile height nd weight to 3rd for weight. Under no circumstances are we supposed to have him go hungry- as it is he wakes at 4.30 am aftsr bed at 7.30pm and its from hunger i know. We have night weaned and dont want to resume night feeding. Paed also recommended against night feeding as he needs to sleeep more to.

Can anyone suggest how to increase his intake of food and clean up his diet-we are at our wits ends. He is 2.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can you cosleep with him so he can nurse more frequently with out waking?

Does he like dip or soup?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Gosh you poor thing that must be hard- You may be better going to a naturopath/ nutritionist ? Normally they would suggest going cold turkey and cutting out all junk food and eventually they will eat but not sure if you can risk that with your son? Would he drink a smoothie?
    You could pack the smoothie full of fruit, yogurt, chia seeds etc so he gets something into him? Do you eat together or does he like stealing food off your plate? Or maybe try homemade nuggets with hidden veggies, homemade fish or chicken strips ? Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As this stage it's important to just try and keep his kilojoule intake high.. Get a multivitamin for him and try and get lots of carbs and proteins into him. milk is excellent, as is wheat, eggs, if he'll eat jam sandwiches and squeezie yoghurt, let him! Ice creams with fruit in them, bread bread bread, will he have french toast? home made is there a particular pasta he loves? chicken nuggets, sweet potato chips, chicken legs.. just keep offering food to keep his kilojoules up and try to gain some weight. Do you take him swimming, that always works up an appetite!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Breastmilk (270-350) contains more kilojules than full cream cows milk (270) so I don't see why you would be replacing it with cows milk...some good suggestions re food ^

9. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for thhe suggestions everyone. Breastfeeding overnight is out- we have been advised he is using night feeding as a crutch and that its aiding him in not eating during the day. Hehas access to breastmilk all day.

We tried milo with no success- might try sustagen- hadnt thoughht of that. Gp has suggested a few days of his allergy meds as the side effect is increased appetite- but im hesitant as e meds are pretty strong.

We hide veg in everythng- but hejust wont eat. I guess we will have to try not making an issue of t at all and not reacting- maybe serve the same foods over and over till he eats and if he looses too much weight go to a drip feed until he eats. Thats the paeds suggestion after he turns 3 to address the issue. I just cant see doing this for 12 more months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is also a thing called Ensure (you can get powder or premixed cans) which I found nicer than Sustagen, also the Musashi Body Bulk powder (vanilla or chocolate) and you can either mix it with milk or just add it to any of his food. Anything pasta related for dinner if he would eat it would be good, homemade chips for dinner - I know these aren't particularly healthy but often things LO's will eat which for know sounds like what you need. Does he like porridge, you could give him that for dinner just to keep him full a bit longer.

GBH's to you, it sounds really quite stressful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Gosh that sounds really awful. You poor thing and your poor DS.

With the sustagen thing - how about up & go's as well. They are pretty yummy.

I'm sure you've tried every kind of food under the sun. All I can think is maybe foods that smell really yummy might be appetising - like chicken wings in a delicious sticky sauce.

If he will eat jam on bread will he eat peanut butter and jam together? The peanut butter would be fats and protein.

Sounds so hard

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD1 went through a massive food refusal stage from 21 months until about 30 months. While she wasn't dropping weight, she just refused most healthy foods (the only thing she didnt refuse was weetbix, so she was known to have weetbix for 3 meals a day on occasion). She would eat any piece of junk food she could get her hands on though.

I took to making nuggets and packing them full of vegies, she did eat mac and cheese, so I made the cheese sauce and put mashed pumpkin through it. You could try something similar and perhaps add cream as well to make it a full fat version.

I really cant offer any other suggestions other than to let you know that my DD is now back eating most foods, including fruit (although not all that willingly but when its the only thing being offered she eats it).

Good luck, hopefully his appetite returns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh hun, how stressful for you!!!

You've been given some good advice in this thread. I think the Sustagen one is worth a shot as is getting a good multi-vitamin into him. Have you been to see to a nutritionist? The paed's advice to wait another 12 months before doing anything seems a bit odd to me...esp if his weight has and is dropping so much. That's not right and I would not be accepting that. I'd be getting a 2nd opinion and going to see a dietitian/nutrionist as well.

In the meantime, honestly I would feed him whatever it takes for him to keep his calorie intake up. If he will eat a jam sandwich and a yogurt - great! Give that to him every dinner time so at least you know he's not going to be on an empty tummy. I'd still offer other foods of course (not saying give up!) but maybe focus more on brekky and lunch and leave dinner as struggle free as possible. At least he is getting something in to him. If he will eat a jam s/w...will he eat in on wholegrain bread? If he is eating squeezie yogurt, would he eat a version that might be slightly healthier? At least you have a base food there to start with and can try different variations.

Keep offering different foods. Make up platters for him of different things with different textures and just sit him at his highchair and let him go to town with it. Even if he only plays in it at first..he has to start somewhere. Does he like dipping food into sauces? You could try some cut up fruit that he can dip into melted chocolate or choc yogo or custard or something? It might encourage him to eat a bit of the fruit as well as the yummy stuff! Or home-made chips (potato and sweet potato perhaps?) with lots of tomato sauce to dip? Etc.

The smoothie suggestion is great too - maybe you could take him to the shops and help him pick out a fancy cup or some crazy straws for his drinks? Then try all different smoothies - chocolate milk - whatever it takes!!

Remember that it's not your fault he is having trouble with his food! You are NOT a mother who is giving her child junk because you can't be bothered or whatever. He needs calories and you are doing the best and only thing that any of us would do...trying to make sure he gets them no matter what it takes!

If it's junk only for now, well so be it. Work on getting him eating first as once he starts, his appetite will come back. Once he's eating then you can work on the sorts of things he's eating and start getting a bit tougher with making him eat healthier.