+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfeeding not satisfying 4 month old

I have been demand feeding my DD since birth without to many problems but the last couple of weeks she has gone from 3 hourly feeds to hourly. After getting no sleep DH gave her a bottle of formula and she slept 4 hours after it. We decided to express and try that over the next couple of days so we could monitor how much she is drinking and it was roughly 180ml each time so we are guessing that's what she would get when breastfeeding. Even with the EBM she would wake hourly wanting more. Again DH gave her formula and she slept for 7 hours. Could my breast milk not be filling her anymore? Is there anything I can do to help her? Should I comp feed her? Any advice would bd really appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly- Introducing formula will affect your supply. Expressing is no indication how much milk your producing as the babies sucking reflex and a pump are totally different. 4 months is usually around the time a lot of people say there baby becomes un satisfied. 1hrly feeds are pretty common, feeding 3hrly is generally not. Formula and breast milk contain different calories and they are digested completly differently. If ur concerned about ur supply feeding more regularly can boost ur supply as bubs may be having a growth spurt. U culd also look into lactation cookies, fenugreek and other things. The ABA site and kellymom.com are excellent goto sites for information like this

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (04-01-2012),MuminMind  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your babies probably having a wonderweek (growth spurt) where they revert back to newborn behaviour - SOOOOO frustrating, but its not indicative of your supply at all.
    But by giving formula you aren't giving your breasts the chance to adjust to the increased amount of milk your DD needs, so they won't start providing more (she's just demanding, and your body will take a day or two to adjust its supply).

Definitely give the ABA a call, or check out the kellymom.org website

Other than that, good job its hard, but if you can get through the next two days or so without formula she'll go back to a more normal feeding schedule.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkandSandy View Post
    I have been demand feeding my DD since birth without to many problems but the last couple of weeks she has gone from 3 hourly feeds to hourly. After getting no sleep DH gave her a bottle of formula and she slept 4 hours after it. We decided to express and try that over the next couple of days so we could monitor how much she is drinking and it was roughly 180ml each time so we are guessing that's what she would get when breastfeeding. Even with the EBM she would wake hourly wanting more. Again DH gave her formula and she slept for 7 hours. Could my breast milk not be filling her anymore? Is there anything I can do to help her? Should I comp feed her? Any advice would bd really appreciated.

I am in this situation too. DS is 14 weeks and has alwats fed 1-2 hourly. Im exhausted and need a break. I have lots of milk but think because of so
    Much milk he isnt getting thd hind milk he needs to satisfy him. As i type he is on the floor crying and im too tired to pick him up again, dD who is 17 mths is in her high chair screaming for attention. I just want a contented baby.

I think if he gets formula and it satisfys him then good.

Im too tired to do it anymore, i love feeding him but he isnt settling for me. He is 9 kgs so a huge baby for 14 weeks.

Anyways do what you need to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS, who is now 2, breastfed 2 hourly round the clock for nearly 5 months!! I just saw it as supply and demand and did what I had to do. The aba were fantastic with advice and support when I thought I just couldn't go on. Maybe give them a call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    I am in this situation too. DS is 14 weeks and has alwats fed 1-2 hourly. Im exhausted and need a break. I have lots of milk but think because of so
    Much milk he isnt getting thd hind milk he needs to satisfy him. As i type he is on the floor crying and im too tired to pick him up again, dD who is 17 mths is in her high chair screaming for attention. I just want a contented baby.

I think if he gets formula and it satisfys him then good.

Im too tired to do it anymore, i love feeding him but he isnt settling for me. He is 9 kgs so a huge baby for 14 weeks.

Anyways do what you need to.
    crunchie you sound like u need a huge hug my luv xxx r u able to get dd1 looked after so u can have a break?? Xx

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say wonder week too. My DS has finally finished his three week stint of hourly feeds during the evening. I was worried about supply too, but he's now calmed down and is back to having good day naps and regular feeds every three to four hours. I had to pop him formula for a few feeds though as I started working at night for a few hours and couldn't express and keep up with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quick question though, why is she more satisfied and sleeps alot longer after a bottle of formula? We have tried giving her the exact same amount of formula and EBM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because they contain different calories, formula is thicker and digests slower.

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for advice everyone. I am going to keep going with the demand feeding but if it all gets to much I will give her a bottle of formula. I have a DS that is only 19 months also and my DH and I have no support anywhere close to us so at the moment we are just trying to survive the best we can with 2 Littlies.