+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Combining breast feeding and EBM - does it work

I have a 6 week old boy, who weighs 6.5kg (my 3rd). Finding it easier to express and give in a bottle thru the day and breast feed overnight. Has anyone tried this. I'm not having any issues BF but am struggling with the time it's taking, its quite hot, so uncomfortable for both of us & if we have people over someone else can give the bottle while I look after the other 2 children.

I was thinking of just giving the last 2 feeds of the day - so late afternoon & 10pm feed, if he is unsettled during that time I can always pop him on to settle him. Iv done it a few times & he seems to sleep better, but don't want to mess up my supply or have him not want to BF and only take the bottle.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else has tried this. I want him to have breast milk as long as possiable as I wasn't as successful with BF my other son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I started combining EBM and breastfeeds when DS was about 7 weeks old, as I found it tiring to do breastfeeds for every single feed, especially when our house at the time had no air con and our bub took forever to feed! Plus I had a major oversupply, so I still felt that I had to pump regularly and I would just freeze the excess milk. Then when DS was about 5 months I ended up doing all EBM feeds...11 months later and I'm still feeding him EBM! He has 4 bottles a day plus solids. Thus far he will not drink formula, so I'm now a little stuck with the daily ritual of expressing!

So the answer is yes, it does work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi BAby Carter

For a variety of reasons, I did a combination of EMB And BF for my twins, and I've been able to keep a good (and at times an over-supply) up for 11 months. They were bottle fed during the day (as I often had family here to help, and they were premature and very little, so I was very keen to know exactly how much they were getting), and BF at night. I have found over time that they have become lazy BF. But it can be done, with no detriment to your milk supply.

These were my first, and in hindsight, I wished I had more confidence in BF, as I am sick of expressing and washing bottles etc. I'm not sure if when I include all that time, that expressing really did save me much. ?????

But it worked for us...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice.
    I think I'm gonna go with giving him a bottle for the last 2 feeds. By that time of day I don't really want to be touched as Iv been so busy with the other 2 kids as well as bub, so happy to sit and bottle feed. As long as I express out what he is drinking it all should work out fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PP - DD4.5mnths just had her growth spurt and BOY DID WE NOTICE!!! Keep going, it will pass xx

monkeysmum26 is offline my girl and my boy... our family is complete
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi BabyCarter...

I am currently (and did the exact same with DD from 6 weeks) feeding an EBM bottle for DS final feed before bed. Reason being, both my kids are big so I have so much milk, and find that at that late stage in the day they get too tired become overwhelmed by letdown, gulp... great breastfeeders, but they just get too tired to take a full feed from BF at this time (despite my persistence at the start) whereas they will take a big bottle of EBM and then sleep through the night so much better.

I did it the whole time I breast fed my DD, and have started the same with DS from about 5 weeks as it makes our evenings more pleasant (and I actually think it boosts my milk production as with DD at 6 months I would be expressing upto 300-350 mLs when she was drinking 200).

Best of luck )
    Last edited by monkeysmum26; 07-01-2012 at 12:52.