+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default 123... Magic

WOW.

I have been having problems with DD (2yo) for awhile now. She is extremely high spirited, energetic, stubborn - hmm well she is alot like me!

I have felt like every time i try to do something with her i should be putting on battle gear before i even start. Tantrums, not listening, picking up toys, bed time, meal times - you name it. I actually broke down at the DD's child care centre a few weeks ago - she had bitten yet another child and it took three of us to catch her because she didnt want to go home.

One of the ladies suggested i get my hands on the 123 magic dvd. I did. I watched about 20 mins of it and went to turn it off - there was no way this would work on her. DH made me watch it and it was pretty confronting. I spent the next few hours pretty upset, i felt like a huge faliure.

DH and i sat down and talked about the DVD and decided to try it.

IT WORKED - after the third try!! She stopped a ful blown tear down the walls, rip the doors of the cupboard tantrum and went to her room - on the count of 2!!!

OK so it is still early days but i am keen to know if anyone else has tried this method and what they found the experiance to be.

There is a 2nd dvd out and i am trying to get my hands on it!!

loop is offline Two kiddos keeping me on my toes :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah for you! isnt it the best feeling when you dont have to yell, scream and shout at your kids!?!
    We too have been using the 123 method, although DS isnt that bad it certainly has helped to keep him that way. Actually, most of all it is good for me too, as I am 31weeks with bub No2 and it just gives me something to hold on to when DS is trying to test me. I think Dr Phelan is great. Yes, at first it can be quite confronting, but when you see how it works....
    The most important thing is to stay calm yourself. DP has started snapping the 123 at him, and that spurs DS on. So if you stick to it, you might end up having a (relatively) peaceful household

Oh, the best thing was the other day, when DS wanted to run away and was getting too far away for me to shout the 123 at him. So I just showed him my counting fingers, and at two fingers he came back! I saw two mums looking in awe, thinking - how did she do that?!?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to loop For This Useful Post:

bpac  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Haha! If i had of seen that i would have thought you were some kind of god! It does help me (maybe more then her) to keep calm. I feel like i have options not just banging my head against the brick wall.

Hopefully i will stick with it and i can get the same super powers that you do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What excatly is 123 magic??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    What excatly is 123 magic??
    Try googling it, or ask a library if they have a copy. It is just a way to cope with different scenarios you are faced with other then (Like me) getting frustrated and upset.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS is only 14 months but I want to be prepared! Will look into it- but what happens if you get to 3 and they don't stop?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    For my 2yo I tell her time out and we go and sit in her room on her bed. She doesn't like it much cos we don't play the rule of thumb is one minute per each year they are after we go back to what we were doing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    If you have a state childcare place ( ones that do training courses etc you can borrow the DVD from them