+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tips for returning to work

Hi everyone about a year ago I went through a terrible time knowing I had to return to work. There wasn't a lot on the internet on how to balance life. A kind lady from our church ran a night time session for mums as she realised the current generation of women need to work for whatever reasons - financial or they will lose registration etc or they would go nuts at home.

Here are some tips that helped me from that night and here are a few of my own :

1. If lighting up the stove to cook, cook double and freeze.

2. Lite an easy can be a good option if you want to lose baby weight and don't have time for Gym. I used this option in lieu of a Gym and a house cleaner. No stress cooking meals. More time to walk with bubs in the park. $129 for a week on a 1200 calorie plan. Good for busy weeks. I was too tired to cook after work.

3. Buy work clothes from now on that require no ironing or very little.

4. Hang clothes inside on a drying rack inside to supervise bubs playing at the same time. Good for winter when you don't want to go outside after work in the cold to hang out damp clothes. Yuck!

5. Be realistic about what you can achieve. It is ok not to help out with a charity bake off. If you like baking, there will be a time for it...one day...

6. Life is about seasons. This is a very busy one. Happiness is in the journey. Try to enjoy each day as it comes.

7. Pay bills online and keep it ******lined as possible.

8. Prepare bottles the night before as it keeps the mornings calm. Kids feed on your anxiety.

9. Mentally prepare before shopping. Know what colour shoes you want and a basic style.

10. Wake up before bubs and get ready yourself.

11. Subscribe to an after hours doctor service who will visit you at home. Some bulk bill.

12. Be kind to yourself and forgive yourself if you make mistakes due to tiredness. You do way more than your mother's generation. You may not want to be a super mum but you really are to be balancing all that you do.

If you have any more tips , I'd love to hear them. I sincerely hope this thread helps others. God bless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Great thread!

Also make sure you pack kindy bags the night before...until you have everything running smoothly you might find time to do it in the morning.

I also found it helps, rather than have 1 lunch box, to have three small sistema containers that have two compartments in each container. This covered morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. Each morning I pull them out, fill each compartment then put them all in dd's bag. I know at each meal she is getting a balance of sweet and savory (eg fruit and crackers) and they are all evenly portioned.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

pinkflowerinthedesert  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I have to provide 4 x sets of clothes + what she wears to childcare each day. I have 5 drawers (You know the plastic shoe drawers) set up in her room with each day ready to go = clothes + nappies.

When i get home from work i empty the contents of the nappy bag into the machine, fill the bag with next day items. Fold the clothes i washed the night before and replace into drawer.

It takes less then 10 minutes each day and works so well for me!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

pinkflowerinthedesert  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    I have to provide 4 x sets of clothes + what she wears to childcare each day. I have 5 drawers (You know the plastic shoe drawers) set up in her room with each day ready to go = clothes + nappies.

When i get home from work i empty the contents of the nappy bag into the machine, fill the bag with next day items. Fold the clothes i washed the night before and replace into drawer.

It takes less then 10 minutes each day and works so well for me!
    Now that is efficiency! Great Job

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Starter For This Useful Post:

bpac  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great thread!

I have myself ready the night before, my clothes hung somewhere together (including undies & bra! lol). I wash my hair at night and straighten in the morning.

I do a load of washing each day, goes on in the morning, DH hangs out when he gets home at night.

I cook enough of DH & I's dinner for DS to have it the next night (DS eats way earlier).

As someone else said, if you have a partner, being a team is important. Talk so you know what each other are doing, it can get hard and lonely sometimes if you are always on the go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spend my Sunday when DD is sleeping cooking/freezing a weeks worth of lunches/dinners. We may not end up using them all, but it's nice to know they're there if we don't have time to cook every night.

Grocery shop online! Makes life so much easier and saves hours per week. This plus a meal plan can save so much time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was never stressed/ concerned about returning to work which I did only 4mths after having ds1 full time! I just knew what I had to do and did it, it helps having a supportive and very helpful dh though. We all soon got into a routine which worked for us all and I managed motherhood and full time work very well. I'm just about to do it all again when I return to work after ds1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Uh -oh. Sounds like you've got a good system going for you that works.
    Last edited by pinkflowerinthedesert; 04-01-2012 at 19:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, a supportive husband really helps too. I found my husband picking up on the housework act more so when I went back to work. You make a good point about how you get into a routine which works for the family. All the best with your return to work after ds1. And you're right - some things such as returning to work just have to be done. Thanks for your post. I'm sure someone out there will find some encouragement from it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I spend my Sunday when DD is sleeping cooking/freezing a weeks worth of lunches/dinners. We may not end up using them all, but it's nice to know they're there if we don't have time to cook every night.

Grocery shop online! Makes life so much easier and saves hours per week. This plus a meal plan can save so much time.
    I totally agree on shopping online. Sounds like you work really hard on a Sunday arvo. Still that's way better than cooking at the end of a work day. Thanks for your post.
    Last edited by pinkflowerinthedesert; 04-01-2012 at 19:57.