+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son was FTT from about 5mths-as in losing weight every week, going from 50th percentile to off the bottom of the chart. He was born normal size, on the 50th percentile. He was happy, healthy and achieving his milestones well ahead of "schedule". He had lots of testing and it was concluded that his body simply burned more calories than we could get into him. He was VERY active. We saw Dr's, MCHNs and dieticians and had a stay in the childrens hospital. In the end we started seeing gains after we increase the calories in his diet/milk. We added Polyjoule (available on prescrition from the chemist) to his formula, and also to his food. We also calorie-added to his solids by adding fats, such as avo, cheese, butter, cream etc. It felt bizarre adding all those things! But it worked, and as he got older we found he was able to eat more volume to get enough calories. At about 4yrs he finally crept onto the 3rd percentile line on the chart, and now at 6 he is back to the 50th percentil and doesn't stick out as the tiny kids in the class. He eats like a horse still, and remains extremely active.
    I would def. recommend seeingthe Paed and dietician to get further advice, as the prob is quite common and I know how worrying it is when your LO keeps losing weight when they have none to lose

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks again everyone for your replies and advice

Great news - I put on a sob story to the Pead's office on Friday, basically pleading to be bumped up the cancellation waiting list. It worked because I got a call this morning saying they had a spot Wed morning very good timing as poor bubs vomited all weekend even more than usual. Feels as though he isn't keeping anything down. Hopefully we can now start the testing process

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update for those still reading & were kind enough to offer advice.

Went to the Paed today - she was very thorough and suspects a cows milk protein intolerance. Luckily (??) for us, DS had a distended tummy & vomited a lot during the hour, so she knew we weren't over-reacting (even though bubs was also smiling at her non-stop).

So I have to remove dairy completely from my diet for 2-3 weeks. She also gave me 2 tins of Elecare formula (prescription) for the top-ups he currently has. If this doesn't work then she will send us to get an ultrasound of his tummy and perhaps allergy tests.

Thanks to everyone for their responses

Thanks
    Reviews
    It must be a relief of sorts to have someone listening and trying to work out what's going on.

We tried Elecare with DS, but didn't notice an improvement until we switched to Neocate. It smells and tastes pretty foul, but is apparently a lot easier to digest.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (12-01-2012)