+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    My DD had the same prob at 4 mths the doc suggested a little bit of farex in her bottle it worked really well!

I might add (as i have been hauled over the coals for mentioning my experiance with this once before) that I only said this because OP mentioned her Doc suggested something similar.

Please do not think in any way i mean this in any other way then this is my experiance. I hope i dont offend anyone.
    Last edited by bpac; 04-01-2012 at 15:18.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    My DD had the same prob at 4 mths the doc suggested a little bit of farex in her bottle it worked really well!

I might add (as i have been hauled over the coals for mentioning my experiance with this once before) that I only said this because OP mentioned her Doc suggested something similar.

Please do not think in any way i mean this in any other way then this is my experiance. I hope i dont offend anyone.
    Thanks bpac - no offense taken whether I decide to do to it or not is obviously our choice, but appreciate/asked for all experience and advice, thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi pesca

like bpac i mean this as my opinion and experience only but my ds is now 3 months and he's had farex in a bottle for a month now and yesterday he had pured banana for the first time. i didn't bother with a gp, or paed, he had reflux and farex in the bottle made sense to me.

i had to cut a little x in the teat so the thicker liquid would come out and i started with 60ml mls and the tiny tip of a baby teaspoon worth of farex, then slowly built it up.

i have found the problem with feeding with a spoon is that baby's are born to suck so you have to put the food right where a nipple or teat would go or they naturally seem to be spitting it out.

i would say my ds enjoyed the banana more than the farex (and i brought the organic ones)

another thing i have used with my first and when i was looking after kids was tapioca

½ Cup Water
    1/3 Cup Quick-cooking Tapioca
    Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Gradually add tapioca, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low & cook 5 minutes, continuing to stir constantly.

then into this you can add a tiny bit of juice or fruit as baby eats more. (though my first was 8 years ago )

i recently had amaranth suggested to me. yesterday i picked some up from a little local shop called 'grandpas garden' but i guess other health food shops would carry it. i haven't tried it yet though.

my best advice, which isn't really mine, is try each thing (what ever you choose to do) in small amounts and watch how your baby reacts. every baby is different and you're the best judge of whats working and whats not.

also you could have a chat with your gp about your diet. sometimes something simple like drinking more water can change your bm. i know whenever i eat fruit salad (a cafe fav with fresh fruit juice) ds has a huge feed and then gives me the milk drunk smile.

good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to southcoastmummy For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You mentioned a 2 month waiting list for the paed. They usually try and prioritise young bubs who are FTT and/or have feeding issues. Do they know all the history? If you plead with the receptionist or ask to go on the cancellation list it might help.

I wouldn't add anything until you have been advised to do so by a paed or a dietitian. We've seen a dietitian for DS who was FTT initially and she was brilliant. He's had ongoing feeding issues and she's really helped. For the dietitian, your GP can complete an Enhanced Primary Care referral, which entitles you to a Medicare rebate after the initial assessment.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (07-01-2012),Witwicky  (07-01-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If anything, the rice cereal is going to take longer to digest than milk, keeping your baby fuller for longer and perhaps reducing their overall calorie intake for the day.

Is your baby really failing to thrive? Have they actually lost weight/ condition. Are they not having enough wet nappies, are not happy and alert, are not meeting milestones? Is it just that they are at the lower end of the percentiles? Are you actually worried about your baby for any other reason than health professionals making you worry?

I had someone suggest that my first child was failing to thrive, yet had no other indicators of issues. Dh and I are both small builds, and my dh has been classified as technically just underweight all of his life. He eats like a horse and my child takes after him. She is still slim, but out of all her friend she eats the most and is very healthy. Some kids are just not ever going to be chubbas.

Personally, I would take a good hard look at the situation, your babies actual food intake, outputs, behaviour and genepool. If you are still concerned, I would seek the advice of a paed or nutritionist.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my girls were in Hospy they added calories to my EBM, they're in sachets. And they also had a formula with extra calories. Dietician arranged it.

Maybe see if a dietician or pharmacist can help. Not sure if a script is needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    If anything, the rice cereal is going to take longer to digest than milk, keeping your baby fuller for longer and perhaps reducing their overall calorie intake for the day.

Is your baby really failing to thrive? Have they actually lost weight/ condition. Are they not having enough wet nappies, are not happy and alert, are not meeting milestones? Is it just that they are at the lower end of the percentiles? Are you actually worried about your baby for any other reason than health professionals making you worry?

I had someone suggest that my first child was failing to thrive, yet had no other indicators of issues. Dh and I are both small builds, and my dh has been classified as technically just underweight all of his life. He eats like a horse and my child takes after him. She is still slim, but out of all her friend she eats the most and is very healthy. Some kids are just not ever going to be chubbas.

Personally, I would take a good hard look at the situation, your babies actual food intake, outputs, behaviour and genepool. If you are still concerned, I would seek the advice of a paed or nutritionist.
    I agree with this completely. Even if LO is ftt I don't think farex is the best option in this scenario.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone Do we need a referral for a dietician? This sounds perhaps like a good idea while waiting for our appointment. Should I try the calorie supplement myself or wait to speak to a doc? (stupid question perhaps )

We are already on the waiting list for the Paed and yes apparently he has been 'bumped' up the list as he has some weeks where he actually loses weight - still being told could be 2mths though. The weeks that he gains is only around 80g average.

Have tried solids in various ways but he just isn't ready, spits it back out each time, or vomits it back up so font want to keep pushing that option for now.

Opinionated - it's really hard to tell as he is a very happy little boy. He turns on the charm for anyone who pays him attention (show-off!) and sleeps/settles fine I believe.

He does have enough wet nappies, but vomits ALL day (albeit with a smile on the face). Straight after feeds, an hour or even 2 hours later - doesn't matter. Have tried all the suggestions for reflux, such as keeping him upright etc Interestingly he doesn't seem to vomit much after night feeds, he goes straight back to sleep which isn't typical for reflux?? We also trialled Losec but that did nothing.

His vomits can vary from very watery (usually straight after feed) to quite chunky/smelly so you know they've reached the gut but come back up again. Sometimes they look like the entire feed. We've had plenty of b/f and supply issues, so it hurts to see that liquid gold go to waste!

I did trial the farex in a bottle yesterday, seemed to go down fine and he still fed the standard 3hrs later, so didn't fill him up for too long. I'm just hesitant to keep doing this, I'd rather find the underlying reason (if there is one).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would Definatley try getting on paed wait list. Try doing that before seeing chiro or starting solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your GP can refer to a dietitian. I would wait before trying anything.

I know the horrible feeling all too well when you want to try anything to help bub, but just try and hold out until you get professional advice. I'm sure your child health nurse is only trying to help, but I've been given very dangerous advice by a couple before who meant well.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (07-01-2012)