+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Rice cereal in bottle?

My DS is 4mths and is 'failing to thrive'. Cut a long story & history short, we've been advised to try solids to help bulk him up.

So far he hasn't taken to the spoon as yet so clearly isn't quite ready to eat normally. Today our MCN suggested putting a bit of rice cereal in 1 bottle a day with my EBM until he's ready to eat himself.

I know years ago mums did it to try and help encourage sleep at night (old wives tale)....Is this common these days? Is it even safe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I too would see a doctor or nutritionist about this before accepting the advice of a MCN (No offence to MCN's - there are some very wonderful ones out there! However, some do give advice that they are not really qualified for). However, I do know that paed's do reccommend rice cereal in a bottle to thicken the milk to help prevent reflux, even in very young babies from a few weeks old, so it is considered to be very safe for young tummies. And solids are considered safe from 4 months. There are other options as PP mentioned, such as polyjoule, which adds calories to bottled milk, which I would think are more effective if the baby is FTT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would see a paed to seek their advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry ladies, I probably should have further clarified

It's a GP that recommended starting solids. We have a 2mth wait to see the Paed unfortunately.

Today was our standard 4mth appt with the MCN and I mentioned he wasn't quite ready to eat yet. That's when she suggested putting it in a bottle

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    can i crash here.. have you taken him to see a chiropractor? a good chiro is an absolute miracle worker. and i've read on here where people have said that their baby was ftt until they saw a chiro.

*backs back out*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

andi84  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeee View Post
    can i crash here.. have you taken him to see a chiropractor? a good chiro is an absolute miracle worker. and i've read on here where people have said that their baby was ftt until they saw a chiro.

*backs back out*
    Crash away!! How would a chiro work in this instance? I'm open to anything

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    i don't know specifically what they'd do, but i've heard of it working. i don't have kids myself yet lol
    basically if it's something to do with spinal alignment (which can cause muscle issues, organ issues, etc cos each point on the spine correlates to a different body part or organ) then they can realign that.

imo it's worth a go. it may not work, and then at least you tried it, but then it might, and it would be money very well spent. i've also heard of chiro fixing or helping reflux and sleep issues in babies.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    pedisure is great! but it is for age 1-6, though there are similar high calorie formulas available. we have a standing order for pedisure for after iilness for our ftt toddler.
    rice cereal in a bottle is a chocking hazard. there are commerically available thickeners to use.
    also we DELAYED solids for our ftt dd, as boob/formula is far more calories dense than solids.
    our paed is great, been seeing him since birth, and the first suggestion for ftt was getting in an extra 100mls of boob/formula every day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (04-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Chiros can assist with a range of issues, including ftt, unsettledness/irritability, colic, reflux etc. It's because misalignments in the spine have the ability to affect general health (due to its impact on the nervous system).

My sister has had amazing results with the chiro with her baby, and i've personally had good results too

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't, if bubby isn't able to eat and swallow normally I'd not think their stomach would be ready to disgest anything more complicated than milk. I'd be getting a second (or third) opinion before doing something like that at the advise of a MCHN, because I do think they can spout a whole lot of crap advice without seeming to have any accountability to making recommendations that aren't actually safe or appropriate.

I'd be looking for an alternative that is designed to be used as such. Rice cereal is intended to be fed by spoon, so I wouldn't be putting it in a bottle.

Good luck - I hope you can find some answers.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Lulu56  (07-01-2012),Pesca77  (04-01-2012)