+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MARTTC View Post

Sorry to hear your still going, if you dint mind me asking, what's your fertility issue? My throyid n ovaries all came back clear... My FS seemed pretty confident that IVF should work pretty quickly for us but do they just say that?!

Thanks for your support... Do you give yourself needles too?

I'm so emotionally drained today
    Our primary fertility issue is MFI. My DH does make good swimmers, but the count is way too low. I was told that there was nothing wrong with me fertility wise- all the screening tests I had came back 100%. Like you, we were told our chances of success were excellent.

Be aware that in a basic infertility work-up, the only thyroid test they do is Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH). Many Drs are under the misconception that if TSH is OK, then there is no problem. The full thyroid work-up is TSH, free T3, free T4 and thyroid antibodies.

Long story short- it turned out there was plenty wrong with me! Extremely elevated thyroid antibodies and I was riddled with endometriosis. These were only discovered after I demanded advanced screening tests & changed clinics to get a laparoscopy.

As for the needles, yes I do my own. I was a needle-phobe too, but I was cured of that after the first jab. The needle is short and very thin. Its always worse in your head than it is in real life, you'll see . Using an ice-pack on the spot will numb it and you'll barely feel a thing. Or as LittleDove said, you can use Emla. I can inject myself in a heartbeat, but still can't stand to watch someone else get a needle!

All the BTs freaked me out the most. The best tip I ever got was to drink a big glass of water before a BT. Hydrated veins are easier to find & the blood flows faster.

Sadly there will be more 'down' days than good until you come to terms with the situation and accept that you're simply on a different path to get to the same goal.

I hope you can begin to feel positive sooner rather than later .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Summa - I will look into the Medicare safety net... Might call them today :-)
    Thanks, the advice on here us so fantastic & I'm glad I have it as not even one of my friends has been through this so they don't understand and always say "you'll get there" whatever!! Says them holding their babies that took 3 months to conceive naturally! :-( (angry face)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lindy - thank you so much for sharing, you have brought be back down to reality - I was excited this morning to think we might get it 1st or second go but you're right, the Dr are so basic in their testing what if they are wrong?!
    I had a internal & external US done and they came back with "normal / unremarkable" ovaries etc....
    The FS did another external US and said they look great ;-) fingers crossed they would see endo???
    I feel for you, I'm hopeful for a quick result but I'd be disappointed if it didn't happen or shattered if it did & I m/c...... Hopefully it's not much longer for a bfp

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my experience, the endo was not visible on U/S. My FS found it when he went in with the laparoscope. I believe in some cases it can be seen on U/S, but it needs to be quite thick and/or causing your internal parts to stick together.

Hey, you still have every reason to be hopeful of success first go! That excited feeling you had this morning- hold onto it! And when you actually get started, you'll feel a whole new level of excitement, nervousness & sheer terror

Just because I'm still struggling, doesn't mean that'll happen to you. I've seen lots of new IVFers join the forum and graduate into the due threads within months, you could most certainly be one of them! (I now classify those people in the same group as your fertile friends )

My story does illustrate though that you shouldn't let your FS talk you into multiple cycles without further testing. If your first two transfers are BFNs... demand they investigate before you potentially waste more precious embies and more $$. But hopefully none of that will matter to you because you'll be UTD first go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah good point.
    Second opinion tomorrow & we will go from there... If we go down the IVF and by second go still bfn, I will demand further testing for sure.
    The first guy was from Melbourne IVF the guy tomorrow is from monash ivf - the doc told me today if the guy at monash says we need ivf to go back to Melbourne as they have one of the guest success rates :-) made me feel a little better too.
    Will keep you updated :-)
    Where are the ivf threads?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good on you for getting a 2nd opinion & shopping around! Look forward to following your progress once you get started

Here is the IVF forum:
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...lay.php?64-IVF
    ETA- There are some stickies at the top that are great. Especially the one called Hints & Tips for new IVFers.

This is a Melb girls thread you might find helpful:
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...b-Girls-Chat-6

And these are the monthly IVF threads currently going (our equivalent to the testing threads in the TTC forum):
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ul-January-IVF!
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...c-February-IVF

Last edited by SimpsonDesert; 10-01-2012 at 11:15. Reason: add comment about stickies

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

MARTTC  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I got a second opinion today & the news I guess is a little better... But not so much!
    Firstly he didn't believe we had a 1% chance, he thinks we have a higher chance than that.
    He did a pap smear & has sent DH for another S.A..... His recommendation is if the results come back any lower than 91% which means improvement (DH has improved diet & now on menevit) then he says I should have a lascopy (can't spell it) he said just to make sure I'm all good but that's $1500 that could go towards IVF??
    He said sometimes couples fall pregnant after having that done?! But I've always understood that to be for female infertility?? Are we waisting time & money?!
    He said if the results are the same or go any higher, he would recommend we go ivf as it could possibly take years naturally :-/
    Any opinions welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you lindy for all your links tips etc :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're very welcome

Regarding the laparoscopy, I'm surprised its been offered to you so early in the piece. Perhaps some FS' are starting to become more pro-active these days! The lap does give you a 'tune up' and there is a fertility spike in the 3-6 months afterwards.

If they do a lap & find nothing, then you know all is well and you can proceed with boosted confidence. If they find endo, they can fix it on the spot, and it will improve your chances of a BFP first go.

My first 4 blastocysts (all high quality embies) were transferred pre-lap and all BFN. We spent over $6K for those cycles. I'd much rather have spent half of that to get a lap first, then start IVF knowing I had a clean slate.

Of course I'm biased from my own experience, so I suggest you gather some other opinions and decide whats right for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with lindylou. It's hard to know what to do when the financial aspect is a burden, but going through IVF not knowing the full picture can lead to a lot of heartache. I feel lucky I have only 'wasted' two cycles before I decided more tests were needed. Since I have started looking lots of things have popped up that will be a barrier to a BFP unless they are fixed. I'm having the scope even though I am phobic of surgery because I truly believe my doctor when she says ' I don't know what I'm working with until I've had a look'. I've got two embies on ice and not until I know what is going on am I going to risk popping them back! I think money will be saved in the long run not to mention our sanity

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Beta For This Useful Post:

SimpsonDesert  (08-02-2012)