+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends on what you mean by 'baby'

Obviously I agree 3/4/5 mnths is WAY too young for chocolate/ice-cream/hot chips.

I stuck to food guidelines till DD was 1 (except I gave her peanut butter, cheese, eggs etc all earlier then recommended) her first 'naughty' food was one bite of chocolate at Easter when she was 10 mnths. She also had 1 maccers nugget at 15 mnths old.

I'm pretty relaxed now. I feed her what I'm eatting (this makes me eat healthier too)

Today she had weetbix, a boiled egg, a ham & salad whole grain rap with seeded mustard, a strawberry banana smoothie, rice with sweet n spicy chicken & veg. She's 19 mnths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Is anyone actually watching? I feel so angry, appalled, sad, shocked and dismayed all at the same time!!
    I'm watching. Its not that hard to knock up a salad or fruit salad and yoghurt! How can you give a little boy 6 cans of soft drink a day? That is disgusting, she is stunting her childs development due to her own laziness. Sorry I think I'm off topic of the OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wholeheartedly disagree with giving babies junk foods at young ages.

I understand that sometimes bubs will grab at a chip and have a suck or that an older sibling will give them some of their lunch/snacks.

But I don't understand why a parent would do it on purpose. Ice-cream, chocolate, Christmas pudding, sausage rolls or kfc gravy are not appropriate foods for an infant. Their bodies are just not ready for it.

For the poster who gave her 8month old powerade instead of hydralite, I can kinda understand the logic - desperate times calls for desperate measures, and there is also a big difference in the maturity of an 8 month old digestive system than a 4-month olds digestive system.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babycart For This Useful Post:

bpac  (05-01-2012)

RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    God, even medical reasons are not enough for the "public police" even though they understand once we explain.. what do ya do? wear a sign??

The day I see a program titled "my kid loves salad!" I will think TV is realistic.. Yep, some kids are eating Junk 24/7 and that is horrid.. but how huge an issue it is is pretty freaking debatable..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RoarsomeMum For This Useful Post:

heeeeerekittykitty  (05-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How is it not a huge issue?

I think the health of a child is a pretty big issue myself. I think it's cruel that a child has to have multiple fillings and teeth extracted at a young age due to excessive sugar intake.

I think a child suffering from type 2 diabetes, bowel issues, diverticulitis and obesity with all of its related problems is a massive concern. I find it worrying when people don't see it like that.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

MissPoss  (05-01-2012),share a book  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Absolutely disgusted by that show. DH and I were sitting here shaking our heads no longer feeling guilty about the odd icecream or take away anymore!!

I agree with Witwicky, this is a huge issue. It is a form of abuse, these people (the extreme examples) are KILLING their children loading them up on all this heart attack food.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Absolutely disgusted by that show. DH and I were sitting here shaking our heads no longer feeling guilty about the odd icecream or take away anymore!!

I agree with Witwicky, this is a huge issue. It is a form of abuse, these people (the extreme examples) are KILLING their children loading them up on all this heart attack food.
    I agree. I've always said it's a form of child abuse. I'm not talking the odd take away, that's fine and we all do it. But feeding your kids macca's every meal, drinking 6 cans of coke a day.... this is child abuse!!

I went to a seminar on childrens nutrition not long ago, and there are studies that show heart disease (caused by diet... not genetic conditions) in children as young as 4. Granted this is in the US, but we're closely following in their footsteps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    Granted this is in the US, but we're closely following in their footsteps!
    We have actually overtaken the US with our obesity rates

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes we are the world leaders in having the most obese population!

Oh hang on, that's nothing to celebrate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsE_MrD View Post
    I have a question for all of you - I'm pregnant with my first child and one of the things I'm really worried about is my parents shoving crap into my child's mouth, they do this with my niece and nephew, and don't listen when asked to stop, and laugh in the face their parents.
    Now they live far away from us, so is this something that I should shrug off, or do I prepare to fight this epic battle.
    We plan on not introducing any of the bad stuff for as long as possible, and dh's parents are super healthy, it's just mine that I'm worried about because they don't listen and will fight about it and I'm not sure it will be worth it - I know dh is realy stressed about it too even though it's still a good 12 months away.....

Any advice would be appreciated!
    If your parents aren't listening to the parents of your neice and nephews, then prepare for an epic battle I 'm afraid. It's good that they live far away, as at least then you won't be dealing with this issue on a regular basis which would indeed be stressful.

I guess the only thing you can really do, is stand firm from day one. Say it with conviction and be forthright that although they think it's funny or whatever, you and your husband do not and will not appreciate them giving your baby/child (what you deem to be) inappropriate foods.

My MIL used to like giving my neices a little sip here and there of wine or beer and right from day one I dropped hints to her that I wouldn't be having a bar of that sort of thing, that I would not find it cute or endearing etc, etc. She has never once even tried. I even was told the quote once, 'Being a grandparent is great, it means you get to feed the grandkids freddo frogs for breakfast', so I guess for many this has always been a bit of a sticking point.

I know a lot of the time grandparents think they're being 'nice' and trying to endear themselves to their grandkids, but at the end of the day, you and your husband are the baby's/child's parents, so if you think it is inappropriate then you have to say so and stick to it. Don't let them laugh in your face, shrug it off, or tell you you're being silly or OTT, you tell them (respectfully of course ) what your wishes are.

Good luck with it all!
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 05-01-2012 at 16:42. Reason: typo