+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think its a concern that people are that comfortable with eating junk that they are prepared to give it to their little ones. I was horrified when FOB's sister told me her daughter's first taste of solids at 4 months was chocolate mousse. Unfortunately, her diet hasn't improved much in the last 8 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son loves McDonalds fries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have probably let both my kids taste junk food early but it doesn't make any part of their diet at all really.. We never get take away and "treats" are rare because my son has a lot of food issues etc and if we kept chocolate and ice cream he would always be wanting it. My son eats take away every saturaday with his nanna as a treat and I feel okay about that as the rest of his diet is very bland and healthy. Having said that my six month old licked choc milk off a straw today eek! My mums influence. Besides this all she has ever eaten is fruit. I think the secret to it is moderation and not going too far in either direction. Tbh I was so anal about healthy food with my first and he has become a night mare to feed. Its awful and I wonder why I'm being punished with this under eating food hating child when I did all the right things to begin.. Sigh

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is anyone actually watching? I feel so angry, appalled, sad, shocked and dismayed all at the same time!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm taping it, will watch now !
    I very much agree with MH though , nutritionists all recommend not calling junk food "treat food" or to use food as bribes as this does lead to food confusion , you can obviously have celebration foods, which are just that like Christmas pudding example, foods to celebrate special traditions but by calling maccas or ice cream a treat you send the wrong signal out to little kids that the food they normally eat is boring and they crave the treat food, if you want to give them junk food , don't make a big deal out of it and then they won't either!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

northern  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Is anyone actually watching? I feel so angry, appalled, sad, shocked and dismayed all at the same time!!
    Yep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Wow, I'm only 10 minutes in , the 19 month old on the show really has no chance at a healthy life, half a litre of oil ( saturated fat) a week and 6 cans of coke a day! I'm watching with my friend and she thinks it can't be true how bad they feed him , the sad thing is my MIL is a naturopath/nutritionist and sees many families like this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I'm taping it, will watch now !
    I very much agree with MH though , nutritionists all recommend not calling junk food "treat food" or to use food as bribes as this does lead to food confusion , you can obviously have celebration foods, which are just that like Christmas pudding example, foods to celebrate special traditions but by calling maccas or ice cream a treat you send the wrong signal out to little kids that the food they normally eat is boring and they crave the treat food, if you want to give them junk food , don't make a big deal out of it and then they won't either!
    Macca's was a treat when we were kids my arents called it a treat , and I'm sure I probably ate ice cream once in a blue moon when I was a kid. Even when I was a baby.

I'm also a trained chef, cool most of our food from scratch, am a healthy weight and both my children eat well and eat healthy.

And I use the word treat. Lollies, chocolate, cake, I've cream, it's a TREAT. It's special, it tastes nice. And it's a rare treat. Does it not make sense that if we're saying everything in moderation that it's them okay to have the odd bad food?

There are actual parents out there thinking MacDonald's is okay for every day that is bad and that is abuse. DS had gelato at about 6 months because he was on my lap and pulled it into his mouth. That doesn't make me a bad parent and it won't guarantee he's a fatty when he's an adult.

Seriously, you can't feed your kid anything theses days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I remember my brother feeding his 4mth old hot chips, I was mortified. Both his children are obese, no wonder! I am quite strict with what I will and won't give our kids. Mil thinks dh and i are cruel for not allowing ds1 to have chocolate at Easter until he was 3, then we allowed him to have just a little which he his fine with. She thinks its odd when he refuses a biscuit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Grr I hate this too! Why do people think they have the right to tell me what I should feed my child and when i should start him on solids?! I saw my aunt and uncle before Christmas so DS was only 3.5 months and they tried to tell me a bit of chocolate won't hurt him. Bugg3r off, he's never had anything besides BM or a little formula and his first tase of food definitely won't be chocolate! My BIL, who is living with us at the moment keeps trying to give DS food as well, to the point of shoving his half eaten McDonalds burger up to his mouth. And then looks at me funny when I tell him not to do that. Just because his DS, now 4, started solids at 3 months (the mother had to lay him down so the custard would run down his throat) and complains when I give him water because he is so used to soft drink and wants weetbix for every meal of the day! BIL also thinks there's nothing wrong with this despite the fact that his son has visibly grey teeth at the front.