+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DH's mate said when DS was 6 months old that a great first food for babies is hot chips. And tiny teddy biscuits are also good to start babies on

DS eats healthy most of the time but he will have tastes of a variety of foods. He has sipped on milkshakes and tried ice-cream and biscuits and all sorts of things. I grew up with no junk food and then became a junk food junkie when I moved out of home and didn't eat vegies for like a year.

I don't believe in "treat" foods - that's implying food is a reward - that in itself is an unhealthy attitude. There are not good foods and bad foods, there are just foods you should eat a lot of and foods you should eat a little of. I want DS to understand that from a very young age.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Arusaamatus  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    FWIW, I don't often notice what random strangers in public are feeding their kids. The people I have commented on in here are people that I know... people I know well enough to know that it's not "a treat."

My kid gets maccas too... I have no probs with people giving their kids crap on occasion... I actually think (in most average situations without dietary issues) that this is probably a GOOD move... but there are people I know who feed their kids little more than junk, and those people make me cranky.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Arusaamatus  (04-01-2012),headoverfeet  (05-01-2012),share a book  (04-01-2012),trishalishous  (05-01-2012),Witwicky  (04-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also the thread isn't about toddlers, although everyone seems to be justifying what their toddlers eat. The OP stated that the baby was 5 months old.

I personally don't believe a 5 month old needs treats. That's my opinion.

My DS has treats but he's 2.5.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (05-01-2012),GrabbyCrabby  (04-01-2012),headoverfeet  (05-01-2012),northern  (05-01-2012),SassyMummy  (04-01-2012),share a book  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Also the thread isn't about toddlers, although everyone seems to be justifying what their toddlers eat. The OP stated that the baby was 5 months old.

I personally don't believe a 5 month old needs treats. That's my opinion.

My DS has treats but he's 2.5.
    Yep very true.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't really noticed what other parents are feeding their kids when out and about, I guess with a toddler in the terrible two's I'm too busy chasing them around and trying to get them to sit still for 5 seconds to get them to eat just one bite of food. I am absolutely sure that I have been judged when I am out with my daughter for both food and parenting choices but I agree with what PP's said in that what you see is simply a snapshot of that family's life. Perhaps it's a treat, an end to a bad day or just desperation to get the child to eat something, anything!

Yes there are terrible things happening to children all over the world but I don't think feeding choices are always the worst thing in most cases, sorry

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app - auto correct is shut, it sax!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friend got ripped into the other day for spooning avocado into her babies mouth - the other lady reckoned there was baby food for a reason and she should only be feeding her 'properly made' baby jar food!

I'm not a fan of solely jar fed babies either - but that is acceptable to many.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (04-01-2012),naebie  (05-01-2012),smallpotatoes  (05-01-2012),trishalishous  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a question for all of you - I'm pregnant with my first child and one of the things I'm really worried about is my parents shoving crap into my child's mouth, they do this with my niece and nephew, and don't listen when asked to stop, and laugh in the face their parents.
    Now they live far away from us, so is this something that I should shrug off, or do I prepare to fight this epic battle.
    We plan on not introducing any of the bad stuff for as long as possible, and dh's parents are super healthy, it's just mine that I'm worried about because they don't listen and will fight about it and I'm not sure it will be worth it - I know dh is realy stressed about it too even though it's still a good 12 months away.....

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    My friend got ripped into the other day for spooning avocado into her babies mouth - the other lady reckoned there was baby food for a reason and she should only be feeding her 'properly made' baby jar food!

I'm not a fan of solely jar fed babies either - but that is acceptable to many.
    Lol!! Because Avo isn't one of the most 'complete' foods out there?

Most jarred food is okay by me, but I do a mixture of jar food, homemade meals, finger foods and our food off our plates. I'd find a solely jarred food fed diet strange too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Recent studies have shown it is not beneficial to delay giving children any food at the risk of allergies. They have found that children that have foods delayed are more prone to having food allergies.
    Allergies are very complex, I personally believe genetics play the biggest part.
    There is no study that would prove early introduction of "junk" food to a 5mth old is in any way beneficial.
    Its probably not that bad either! I personally wouldn't feed my 5mth old icecream but I bet no-one would blink twice if they saw a mum feeding a sugary yoghurt to their 5mth old??
    I guess each to their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post

I don't believe in "treat" foods - that's implying food is a reward - that in itself is an unhealthy attitude. There are not good foods and bad foods, there are just foods you should eat a lot of and foods you should eat a little of. I want DS to understand that from a very young age.
    I disagree that it's an unhealthy attitude, almost every culture has celebration foods - birthday cake, wedding cake are western examples but what about other cultures. I've been to wakes where it was considered rude not to eat, hanuka is all about eating oily food. Celebrating with food is not the problem, and I think children AND babies should be a part of the fun. It's what you do the rest of the year that really matters.

Fwiw DD's Christmas she was 6 months old and had Christmas pudding, DS was 11 months old this past Christmas and has had chocolate, custard, cake. I know I'm not cruel, abusive, or negligent. I'm a great mum and my kids have a good diet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast