+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yeah apparently I was mean for not letting inlaws feed jasper sugary crap from 6 months.

Jasper doesn't have a *great* diet though, but I do the best I can with a bit of a fussy eater. I do often now let him go to bed without dinner if he refuses what I've offered, but then he often has a terrible sleep because he's hungry, so I also do try to offer a mix of things he will eat (ie: chicken nuggets) with stuff I want him to wag (veggies) but it depends on how exhausted I am whether I'm prepared to let him go hungry if he's being fussy.

I Do wish I'd never introduced the crap foods in the first place - but then I run it all back through my head... He stopped eating, I got desperate, and it became a bit of 'you can eat whatever you want as long as you eat SOMETHING' (exclusively breast feeding a 1+ year old is NOT fun)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 4 year old gave my 1 year old half a bag of jellybeans today for breakfast in his cot. Besides the choking risk it made me laugh, though I have asked him not to feed him in the morning anymore and to come and get me instead lol.

We have fish and chips and fast food maybe 1-2 times a week, sometimes less and they have it too. I am stricter on soft drink and a 4 years old DS1 is only just starting to be allowed half a cup of it with takeaway. If we go get icecream the baby gets some too. From about 6 months onwards they eat whatever we eat.

I respect peoples right to feed their children what they deem a balanced meal and I would hate to be judged on my abilities as a parent based on what one person saw us do one day. It could have been a very special treat, or a total once off...who knows.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

Arusaamatus  (04-01-2012),elleandsam  (04-01-2012),Gandalf  (04-01-2012),happykat  (04-01-2012),Kaybaby  (04-01-2012),nerdgirl99  (04-01-2012),Stiflers Mom  (04-01-2012),Von Zipper  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter has Cystic fibrosis thats why she needs salt as they lose so much through sweat and other ways

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AliG For This Useful Post:

share a book  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    My daughter has Cystic fibrosis thats why she needs salt as they lose so much through sweat and other ways
    Thanks AliG - as I said before her salt intake is far from horrifying giving her medical needs, as that's not a "baby eating badly".

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    yehhhhhh i dunno, i dont pay a lot of attention to what others do cause im caught up in my own childrens whirl wind.

i think feeding babies food before the recommended age does a whole lot of damage... i shudder to think. and wonder if these parents are properly educated on that subject, and wonder if maybe there should be more information given to expectant parents?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

MissPoss  (04-01-2012)

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I tend not to pay too much attention as I figure it's none of my business.

I do wonder about people judging kids they see when they are out. My kids eat pretty poorly when we are out - hot chips and stuff like that. Junk basically. But we Don't go out much, and we don't eat like that at home.
    You are really only seeing a snapshot of these people's lives/diets. I don't feel comfortable remarking on it for that reason.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post:

Arusaamatus  (04-01-2012),FloatingFairy  (04-01-2012),Gandalf  (04-01-2012),Von Zipper  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I only really object to people not being honest about what they've fed my kids.

DS will go to ILs and I'll ask what he ate today, when etc... So I know where he's at in terms of hunger.

MIL will say 'oh just some apple and a sandwich' and I'll say '...and ice cream?' and she'll deny it despite him having ice cream on his face.

I don't mind that she gives him ice cream, for me it's a grandparents treat to indulge their grand babies, but I do need to know what he's eaten in case he's sick, hyped up etc..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm quite wary about what I feed my daughter because I've always had weight issues, and am trying to avoid her suffering the same fate. I think not allowing any sort of junk ever is counter-productive, but I don't see the point in giving babies junk food. God, I don't even know why a 5 month old needs to be having any more than milk anyway... and if they are, why not get their tastebuds accustomed to VEGES rather than sugary crap?

I think the first year or so of eating solids (so generally from about 6 months to 18 months) is when you have HEAPS of say over what they're eating- if they don't know lollies exist, they can't ask for them - so why teach them bad habits early? I think it's a great time to encourage them to try new foods, but HEALTHY foods specifically instead of just everything Maccas can offer.

The kids I know who were fed only junk (and I know this is just anecdotal evidence, rather than cold hard facts), or mostly junk, are the kids who several years on now are very picky eaters who pretty much refuse everything but junk. My daughter enjoys lollies as much as the next kid does, but she will also turn them down and prefer a sandwich or something instead... she will squeal with delight if offered sushi or a salad wrap... and will often choose this over some popcorn chicken or something tasty-but-crap.

She will try most foods, because she was always offered a range of foods (she even tried freshly shucked oysters - thought they were gross, but I was impressed she gave it a go!) from an early age, and her tastebuds haven't become accustomed to junk food overloaded with artificial flavours... so she can enjoy more subtle flavours in more healthy foods.

I dunno, feeding kids rubbish makes me angry... mostly because I know what it is like to be fat, and to have issues with food, and I don't understand why a parent would want to encourage that kind of lifestyle for their child(ren). It makes me sad.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (05-01-2012),northern  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with one of the posters above in the fact that you are only seeing a snap shot of these people lives. However it is sad to think in some situations that parents do force junk on their children from such young ages, and the effects that this can have on the rest of their lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    I was in a shop on the weekend. While i was in line waiting to pay, i saw a women with a baby (no older the 4 mth old MAX) go to the vending machine, get out a RED POWERADE, put it in the baby's bottle and GAVE IT TO HER!!!

I nearly dropped my DD - how can some people be so... cruel is the only word i can think of.
    Wow, i hope you didnt think i was cruel when i gave my daughter powerade at 8 months after she had been suffering dehydration from gastro and was so worried about her being sick and just didnt know what to do to get some life into her and tried it as a last resort after a doctor friend suggested it.
    Coz i didnt think i was being cruel, i thought in my 17yr old head i was just trying to make my DD happy.

Think about what you say ladies, coz its really none of your business what others feed their kids. This thread has made me angry.
    Stop worrying about your kids having the old chocolate, dont give them to other people if its that big of a deal, and dont go home and cry because you saw someones child have some coke, its not your kids and if you wanna get up in arms about something go protest about the kids left in hot cars, or wandering the streets.

Off to give my DD a plain dry biccie in case someone is watching me and judging me. Oh wait, i dont actually GAF

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

Arusaamatus  (04-01-2012),elleandsam  (04-01-2012),Gandalf  (04-01-2012),Mulva  (04-01-2012),RoarsomeMum  (05-01-2012),trishalishous  (05-01-2012),Von Zipper  (04-01-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast