+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Emotions when selling your house

Ok my husband thinks I'm just an overly emotionally sensitive fool and that I need to move on. Partly he is right but partly he needs to be a little more understanding!

I lived in the same apartment building for 14years. The last 6 years of it DH and I bought a 3bdr apartment and our children were conceived and brought home to that apartment. We renovated it, put in my almost dream kitchen, added in a study area and loved living there as did our kids. I knew heaps of people in the building and really felt a part of the"community". I knew our neighbours and their kids and knew I had someone to call on if I needed it.

BUT, it didn't have any outside area and was single glazed so got a bit noisy, was a bit loud (so my DH complained of, didn't notice it really) and the kids needed to get outside more. So DH cracked it one day really badly and I agreed to sell and within a month it was sold.

Our new apartment is great, don't get me wrong. It is double the size internally and has a 200sqm terrace for the kids to play on which they are loving. We now live under my parents which is working out really well and DH and the kids are well settled.

Me, I'm not. I can't get over the fact we are now renting not owners, that I no longer have my awesome kitchen and whilst the one we have is nice it's not as practical as mine was and given that I cook 7 nights a week from scratch it was a big deal to me. I miss the ease of walking to the local shops, I miss the people in the building. I know it will get better but DH will not entertain any discussion with my over how I feel and I'm starting to get really annoyed with it.

Am I just overly emotional and sensitive or is it natural (perhaps more so for the woman than the man) to find it harder to let go of the attachment and memories of a house?

Sorry it was long in the end

Thanks
    Reviews
    Am I really the only one to feel this way???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I hear you loud & clear!!

When we sold in 2009 & moved out, i was gutted. I didnt want to leave & did so kicking & crying like a crazy lady. It was the first house DH & I lived in together, i was spent my pregnancy in that lounge room, bought the kids home to that house. We loved that house but we just didnt fit anymore & had to move on.

We're now looking for our next forever house. One we can make our own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I felt the same. We're now renters in a new state and owned in another state (we moved) I cried lots... My 2 eldest babies grew in my belly in that house, learnt to walk... It's hard but like anything u suppose u learn to move on... Its taken me nearly a year.

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, I just needed to know I wasn't somehow being ridiculous. People used to imply that because it was an apartment it wasn't a home, but it was our home and I loved it. I know we had to give the kids some more space but I just can't find that settled feeling yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awe hugs... It's hard, our old place was tiny! But the struggles are what have made us... We lived there for the first 6yrs of marriage! Mayb u can start a new house scrapbook of things ur aiming for? I'm yet to do this, but I think it would help

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Totally normal. I couldn't go back to our house in Canberra once we'd left despite the fact I was the one who had made the decision that meant we left it.

DH had to go and do all the final things. Including picking 200 odd roses and bringing them to Sydney for me as one final memory.