+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bedsharing query

Hey everyone, I have a 6 week old DD and she sleeps with dp and I in bed. Lately though when she's a bit unsettled she wants to sleep on me. She was happy with me holding her hand but now she sleeps in the crook of my arm while I sleep half on my side and half on my back. Dp is worried because DD and I basically end up sleeping with our faces touching and with me curled around her. I don't feel like I'll roll onto her etc but would like some reassurance as to whether this is ok/safe.
    I love having her this close to me but I'm still unsure I'm doing the right thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI Etienne

I'm not an expert, but I think mothers are so attuned to their babies that, as long as you are not intoxicated, or on sedating medication, or extremely exhausted, and that your DH is aware of her presence, it is highly unlikely that you would roll on her. I read a book by James McKenna about Safe Co-sleeping ("Sleeping with your baby"), and found it excellent. He still recommends that babies should be placed on their back to reduce the risk of SIDS.

It is a beautiful way for both of you to sleep.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shirleysmum For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-01-2012),laurea  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've slept with 3 different dds right up until they were ready for a big bed so like 2-3yrs old... Currently sleeping with dd3 at 3mths. I think you'll find you 'just know' they are there IYKWIM?! I don't roll or move around so it works fine for us.

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I slept with both children like that and both were fine never occurred to me to approach it any differently

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peekaboomummy For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the first 3 months of his life my son slept on his stomach on top of me as it was the only way he would sleep. It was all fine

9. The Following User Says Thank You to doglover For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another one here who co sleeps and have done from day one with DD2 who is now 11weeks, I've always been aware of where she is the first 6 weeks the only way she would sleep at all was on me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jemmajam For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS did that when he was younger, DH used to say every morning he would wake up and DS and I were sound asleep touching noses!! I read somewhere that babies naturally find their mothers face when asleep and breathe in the same pattern as her, perfectly natural!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (04-01-2012),Etienne  (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    My DS did that when he was younger, DH used to say every morning he would wake up and DS and I were sound asleep touching noses!! I read somewhere that babies naturally find their mothers face when asleep and breathe in the same pattern as her, perfectly natural!
    That's how I wake with DD, it's so cute

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I co slept with dd but was very worried at that age too. I never let her sleep in between us as DH felt uneasy so she slept on the side of me and DH was usually on the couch anyway. If you are concerned though you could try swaddling her and then she will feel cuddled and could have a bit a space until you feel more comfortable with it. I know my daughter loved being swaddled, and don't be put off by the initial struggle and crying cause once it's on they feel all secure and calm. Just an idea anyway happy cosleeping

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsybum For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Given that babies mimic their mother's breathing patterns, I would think it's perfectly safe. Obviously as long as the other safe co-sleeping guidelines are adhered to (no alcohol or drugs, no bedding around baby etc).

How lovely

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-01-2012),Izy  (04-01-2012)