+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Drinking water with meals and optimal digestion?

I have heard different opinion on drinking water with meals. I know it keeps you fuller and perhaps makes you eat less, but for your digestion what do you think? Do you think it is better to avoid drinking water with your meal - and if so how long before/after?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    I normally try to have a big glass about 15-20 mins before a meal (if I can) no idea if it makes any difference. I have heard you are meant to feel less hungry when you are well hydrated

typos are thanks to a touchscreen & sausage fingers

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&Smooches For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LamaBana82 View Post
    I normally try to have a big glass about 15-20 mins before a meal (if I can) no idea if it makes any difference. I have heard you are meant to feel less hungry when you are well hydrated

typos are thanks to a touchscreen & sausage fingers
    do you drink during and after your meal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    2tsp of apple cider vinegar in your cup of water 15-20min before you eat aids in digestion apparently.

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shinebrite View Post
    2tsp of apple cider vinegar in your cup of water 15-20min before you eat aids in digestion apparently.

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)
    ahh i was hoping you reply, I have started doing that in the morning when I wake up.

do you drink water during your meals shinebrite?

i hate the feeling of a dry mouth and could easily drink a cup of water for every couple of mouthful of food. I get full really quick which isn't really here or there but I was just wondering about digestion.

I fit the pattern of hot damp in chinese medicine too.

I am wondering if I should suck it up and not drink during dinner and for 30min after??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I drink water with pretty much every meal (except breakfast) and always have. I assume I'm digesting my food afterwards :-)

I'm not convinced it fills me up and makes me eat less though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard warm drinks are good for digestion, like tea or I prefere miso soup with a meal.

The theory is that the warm drink helps break up the oils and fats where as cold drinks coagulate them.
    makes sense to me i guess, and i do feel less bogged down when i have a warm drink with a meal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    notquitesupermum - that makes sense about the warm drinks. I do have peppermint tea when I feel bloated maybe tahts why?

I dunno, I would have thought water dilutes your enzymes. I know your body produces a multitude of different enzymes, each one for a partiuclar food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Ok I don't know what it suppose to do.

I know for me, it actually makes/lets me eat more. I have a very very small stomach and if I drink water during a meal it flushes the food through more quickly and I don't stay as fill for long. For the first 6 months i was allowed to drink while eating, and that when I lost the most.

I hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks loving6 - do you drink now when you eat?

I am trying to NOT eat too much, stay full with low gi foods but improve my digestions - so I guess thats kinda different to your situation when it was hard to eat large quantities. I guess based on that, I should do the opposite to you?