+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Oversupply at 3 months

I have posted in the early days re my oversupply.

Now DS is 14 weeks and i still have too much milk, bub is big weighs 9 kgs today and feeds all the time, every 2 hours still... This is exhausting. I also feel that he is getting lots of foremilk and not much hind milk, when my let down happens the flow is too fast even when im lying down. He panics and comes off, i tried hand expressing before a feed but the let down is still so fast.

I am getting really tired of it and am thinking of giving him formula in the hopes that he doesnt feed so much. I feel really sad about this and a bit selfish but equally he isnt happy feeding from me, he is struggling at times. Incidentally i gave him expressed BM this evening and he drank it, it took him a while to get the hang of it but he managed it.

Is there any way of slowing down the let down other than positioning?

Arggggg i dont want to give formula or spend my days expressing or feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried calling the Australian breastfeeding association? They gave me some fantastic advice on managing my over supply for DD2 who is 11weeks, because bub wasn't getting enough hind milk she was really unsettled not sleeping well and feeding every hour! I was ready to give up when I called them, that was a week ago and now I'm still breastfeeding and feeling so much better she still feeds quite a bit but she's more content and sleeps so much better at night, they suggested that I feed from one side and if she wants another feed within a three hour period I should stay on that one breast then the next 3 hour block switch to the other breast, I hope that made sense I also have a really strong let down and need to lay down to help that even then bub gags and comes off and when she does I just let it leak into a cloth for a minute it seems to help, Best of luck breastfeeding can be so tricky sometimes x

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep I'm a block feeder too, works really well I just have to remember to do it other wise my body goes into crazy make 10L too much milk mode!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, i am block feeding.

Might give ABA a call today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    Thanks ladies, i am block feeding.

Might give ABA a call today.
    Here is some info from the ABA website, but give them a call and they might have more individual advice

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-.../too-much-milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the exact same problem - DD would gag and splutter after let-down, and was feeding 2 hourly, not getting enough hind milk, not sleeping properly etc. I found a combination of block feeding and gravity feeding worked for me. (4 days later VOILA! 4 hourly feedsssssss yay!) Have you been feeding on your side when you lie down rather than on your back and lying back? Because the ABA told me that side feeding won't alleviate the fast let-down problem, only reclining.

I agree with PPs though, definitely give them a buzz

And don't be silly - both of you are obviously not having a positive bf experience, all you can do is try and fix the oversupply/let-down issues, but if you can't, even with ABA, at the end of the day bubs will still have a full belly, if you have to formula feed.

I felt the same way, but I persisted for a few days and it started paying off! Good luck xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, block feeding! I was on one breast for 3-4 feeds. All his "not enough hind milk" symptoms dissapeared

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately for me even with block feeding and only ever offering one breast at a feed my oversupply and engorgement issues didn't stop until dd was 6 months old. We did manage to get through it and are still feeding at 11 months. Even now it's quite common fr her to choke on my milk. Hopefully it eases for you soon. It's a total pita but have you tried feeding flat on your back. That was the only way I could feed dd without her choking at that age.
    Last edited by Courts21; 05-01-2012 at 00:35.