+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default TT for PDDNOS (autism spectrum) Have you done it? Any advice please??

I posted this in the special needs section, but thought I might get more response here so I'll try.

My son is about to turn 4yrs & has been dx PDD-NOS (autism spectrum disorder). He will happily sit on the toilet and do a wee, too scared to do poo yet, but I am happy with that as I have not really pushed any TT.

He is due to start mainstream kinder this year & I would like to attempt to TT him over the next few weeks to see how he goes.

I am desperately after advice from those of you who have gone through this before. My DS has the receptive/expressive vocab of approx. 2.5yr old. He works well with visual prompts & I have tried to find a good DVD on the topic but haven't managed to yet (if you know a really good one please advise!)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't know if this is helpful or appropriate, as my son doesn't have any special needs, but he started weeing on the toilet just before 2, but would not poo on the toilet until just before 3. there was a lot of pleading, bribing and negotiating during those 12 months. He just wouldn't poo, and seemed really scared of it.

One thing that seemed to help (and this is tmi...) was him thinking the splashing noise of poo was funny. So, when we would see him doing his "pooing face" (eg. straining) if he was wearing a nappy, we would grab him, rush to the toilet, put him on it and hopefully some would go in the toilet. Then we would make a big deal about how funny the splash sound was. The hilarity of the splashing seemed to overcome his fear of pooing, and he's okay about it now.

Bit weird, but might be worth a try. good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

2made3  (03-01-2012)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have sent you a PM.