+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Is it the mothers fault? (May be sensitive/distressing)

Following a friends facebook status, I thought I'd ask here and see what others think.
    A child drowns - is it the mothers fault?
    A child gets hit by a car - is it the mothers fault?
    A child is seriously injured/killed through an accident - is it the mothers fault?
    Are the above preventable?

No specific situations really, but is the mother responsible if a child is killed through a tragic accident?
    Why? Why not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It depends on the circumstances. Did she put the child under the water? But accidents. No. They are called accidents for a reason.

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on who is watching the child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tragic accidents are just that, tragic ACCIDENTS...

There are different circumstances surrounding each tragic death. We could debate the what ifs and if onlys forever but at the end of the day a child has passed and a family's hearts broken

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You know that the sad thing is.. It only takes a few seconds for these accidents to happen. I don't think it's anybody's fault unless the mother literally throws her child in the direction of a car or throws her child into the pool. *Sometimes* it can be the mothers fault but I think that's rare.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

AliG  (03-01-2012),Ishtyban  (03-01-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just a curious question, I'm afraid to say it in case it starts a fight but I'm really curious to know why you say (or your friend said) 'mother' ? Would that be interchangeable with e.g. father/carer etc? Its hard to put a context on your post Bell but that just struck me... like i say its a genuine question, not having a go or anything

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (03-01-2012),Ishtyban  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think the mother is relevant, as it is whoever has care of the child at the time of the accident.

The parent or carer has a duty to supervise the child, so in a lot of situations, they would be at fault (eg. drowning in a backyard pool). But I don't think there should be any consequences for being at fault for a parent or other primary caregiver.

I don't think it's really useful to talk about fault in these situations, rather just publicise what happened so other parents and caregivers can try and avoid the same thing happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we all need to more aware of children we see around us daily, whilst I would not want to blame the mother/father/carer it is technically their fault. Accidents to me only occur when all measures are taken to prevent potential accidents like drowns/falling out windows/down stairs/ burns/ect

If the gate is not shut/held open on purpose its not really an accident, it is cause and effect.
    If you frequently allow your children to play near open storey windows/ on driveways/ in areas without fencing around traffic its not really an accident

The above are examples I have seen and have resulted in close calls!

I believe there are accidents as I have nearly drowned 30 odd times despite having supervision(my saviour).

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fairyflossfairy For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (03-01-2012),share a book  (03-01-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Unless the mother or father or other care giver has purposely set out to murder the child, then no, it isn't their fault. Of course, that doesn't stop them blaming themselves

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (03-01-2012),Gandalf  (03-01-2012),headoverfeet  (03-01-2012),Ishtyban  (03-01-2012),LoveLivesHere  (03-01-2012),lovemybabies!  (03-01-2012),Sparklydreamer  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    Just a curious question, I'm afraid to say it in case it starts a fight but I'm really curious to know why you say (or your friend said) 'mother' ? Would that be interchangeable with e.g. father/carer etc? Its hard to put a context on your post Bell but that just struck me... like i say its a genuine question, not having a go or anything
    I say mother because that's what my friend was using, but I assume its interchangeable with who ever is watching the child at the time.. I'd hate to think my friend really thinks a mother is responsible for her child even when she isn't caring for the child (and someone else is).