+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dumb question about first food...

DD is 5 months tomorrow and we started her on a little rice cereal a few days ago. She has been staring intently at us eating and not seeming satisfied with her milk feeds. When we offered her the rice cereal she launched herself at it!

Anyway, when it comes to fruit should I be careful about anything? I find that sometimes I get stomach pains from pears if they're a bit firm, should I be careful with this for dd? I red that granny smith apples are good to use but again I get an upset stomach from them because they're a bit acidic. I'll obviously be cooking apples & pears for pureeing so does this help make these fruits more tolerable for her tummy? I'm a big veggie eater but not so so good with fruit.

DD has a milk protein intolerance so I'll be making everything myself for the most part to avoid any potential reaction (even Farex rice cereal has milk solids in it, glad I checked the packet!).

Any recommendations on what to look out for or how to prepare fruit would be much appreciated!!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    grapes, kiwi fruit and strawberries were always fruits I heard to steer clear of in the beginning.

I did BLW, so a fair bit different to pureeing, BUT one thing I did learn through BLWing is that if you are introducing a new food and baby refuses- don't push it.
    Apparently there have been a few tests done over the years that show babies instinctively know what they need and what will make them ill. (I think the tests were done a while ago like back in the 50's so who knows if the research is still correct, but what happened was they had their blood taken and analysed to see what nutrients they were lacking. Straight after they were offered a plate of a wide selection of foods. They always went for the food that would fill the nutrient void first. Interesting.)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Cue  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I tend to steer clear of the stone fruits in the beginning and just stick to the blandish, type fruits such as bananna, pear, stewed apple. Like Nomsie, I steer clear of strawberries, kiwi fruit and anything too acidic like Pineapple and tomatoes until they're a bit older.

P.s Cue, no question is ever dumb :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Cue  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a dumb question at all! I used to steam apples and pears together and then blend them. Someone told me pears give you runny poos but apples make you blocked up! Not sure if it's 100% correct but I just gave them to my DD together in the hopes it would balance out her number 2's

7. The Following User Says Thank You to proudmumma86 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We started with veggies, we also did BLW so can't help with purees but sweet potato, broccoli and carrot are great first foods , my nearly 15 month old DS still loves his veggies and a few people commented because they were his first food ( not sure if that's true!)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Cue  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We started with veggies, we also did BLW so can't help with purees but sweet potato, broccoli and carrot are great first foods , my nearly 15 month old DS still loves his veggies and a few people commented because they were his first food ( not sure if that's true!)
    Could well be true. I always start mine off with 'savoury' foods so they get used to that before I introduce them to sweet foods, as once they try sweet, they usually turn their nose up at the savoury/vegies as their little palates are geared up to prefer sweeter tastes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    Could well be true. I always start mine off with 'savoury' foods so they get used to that before I introduce them to sweet foods, as once they try sweet, they usually turn their nose up at the savoury/vegies as their little palates are geared up to prefer sweeter tastes.
    Interesting... I really want DD to enjoy veggies so maybe I'll start with some carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cue, we started our ds initially off with carrots, potato, and pumpkin and gave him stewed apples and pears and mashed banana.

In regards to the fruit, we just made sure that it was well ripened and then stewed it. You can use red delicious or other sweet varieties of apples if you prefer.

Nmgb is offline No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm ♡
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I started my DD1 on puréed apple. She didn't want a bar of it did her some pumpkin and she couldn't get enough. Both my girls prefer veg over fruit and pumpkin is their favourite

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Avocado is a good first food- no need to cook and its easy to mush up and it's full of goodies too.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub