+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is this a bad decision?

Hey lovely girls.

I need a bit of advice as I am unsure of what to do next.

After a miscarriage first IVF/ICSI cycle and then a BFN after a FET, DP and I decided it is time for us to turn to donor sperm. We are very happy with this choice and have had lots of time to think about it. We have had 2 months off from cycling to think it all through and go to pick up our list of donors tomorrow.

The dilema now is whether to do IUI or continue with IVF. I know that IUI is only a 20% chance and IVF is about 50% but honestly we don't have the funds to do another IVF at the moment. We are trying to sell one of our cars to get the money for it but who knows how long that is going to take.
    We want to get the ball rolling again by Feb. So at this stage it looks like we will only have the money to do IUI.

Do you think this is going to be a massive step backwards? I kind of feel like it will be but I don't think we have any other choice. I don't want to keep wasting time doing nothing and waiting for our finances to sort out, we wasted nearly all of last year doing that, simply for it to be heartache and a complete waste of time/money.

Has anyone here done IVF and then turned to IUI and had success?
    As far as I am aware I have no blocked tubes or anything like that, my only issue is 'borderline pcos'. I also was tested for DHEA which came back 3.1 (should be at least 4), but by the time Feb comes around I will have been taking DHEA tables 25mg two times a day, so hopefully this help.

Sorry I hope this all makes sense!!! Basically I just want to know if you think it's worth doing IUI or not. I have done one with DH's sperm at the start of last year but obviously that failed because of his very poor sperm.

Thank you in advance, will love to hear all your stories

Take care and lots of baby dust to you all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Dandelion!

Its such a hard decision to choose between IUI and IVF, also a very personal one.

Our first FS really tried to push us into IVF immediately. He almost had us believing that IUI was a waste of time, I've also read a lot of stories where IUI has failed.

We changed FS's and a good thing too...we are 17+1 weeks pregnant after our very first IUI! We also had to use a donor as DH has no sperm at all.

We made the decision based on a few things, firstly me. I am perfectly healthy, all my bloods were great, I have no other fertility issues like PCOS or irregular periods, I ovulate regularly with a pretty spot on 27-28 day cycle.
    Secondly, we knew the sperm quality was good. Its been tested and screened, so with 2 healthy gametes we figured our chances would be good.
    Thirdly the procedure. IUI is minimally invasive compared to a full IVF cycle of EPU and ET.
    Fourth, the success rate between them. IUI is 17-20% and IVF is about 25%...and that success is based on all women, ones with fertility issues and ones without.. so the numbers were skewed for me.
    Lastly the cost. We could get 3 cycles of IUI for the cost of 1 IVF cycle... and the chances of 3 cycles vs 1 was heavily in favour of the IUI!

After 50iu of Puregon for 8 days, one 5000iu of Pregnyl trigger and one healthy egg, I had the IUI on day 11 of my cycle. By 9DPO I had a positive hpt and was (cautiously!) over the moon.

I could barely believe it, sometimes I still don't!

Personally I'm a huge fan of IUI, it worked for us after all! But like I said before..its a very personal choice and you need to consider several things.

If your PCOS is borderline and DHEA is under control, I'd give it a go I don't think its a bad choice at all if you are healthy and you know the sperm will be too.

Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello running
    Thank you for sharing your experience, it helped me make my decision and we went in to organise IUI today!:-) I don't know if I will be as lucky as you to have it work first time round but we will see...you're proof that miracles do happen after all!
    Thank you again, best wishes to you and your family x

Sent from my Desire HD using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry for the delay in replying..rough few days here!

Congrats on making a decision! Sending you loads of baby making vibes, I hope it works for you 1st go too