+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Epidural cost- Frances Perry (Melb)

Does anyone know the approx cost of an epidural at Frances Perry hospital?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In general (for all private hospitals) I am pretty sure the cost depends on the Anesthetist on call at the time. I was lucky with my spinal block that the anesthetist that I had didn't charge a gap, so Medicare and private health covered the whole thing.

I would ask your ob the range of charges for anesthetists they use at Frances Perry so you are prepared. When I had stomach surgery, I was given a list of names that the hospital used and what their gap was. Once I knew the date of my surgery, they could tell me who the anesthetist on duty was so I knew how much I was going to have to pay. Of course I didn't have this option with my spinal because I didn't know I was going to need it (emergency c-section).

Hope that helps, until someone who has been to Frances Perry can shed some light!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I asked my OB yesterday and she said it ranges and they didn't want to give me an estimate. But I have thought of just asking if they charge a gap when I need them. Surely if you are need of a epi and you are in pain they might just do it for no gap!

I might have to have c-section now so guess I will know sooner. So I will let you know if I find out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah28 View Post
    In general (for all private hospitals) I am pretty sure the cost depends on the Anesthetist on call at the time. I was lucky with my spinal block that the anesthetist that I had didn't charge a gap, so Medicare and private health covered the whole thing.

I would ask your ob the range of charges for anesthetists they use at Frances Perry so you are prepared.

Hope that helps, until someone who has been to Frances Perry can shed some light!
    This ^^
    I have just had an epi at Frances Perry and wasn't charged a cent as he didn't charge above the Gap with my insurer.

However my sister was charged $500 at same hospital because her private cover wasn't as high/aneathesist charged above Gap. She didn't get the bill for a few months either so it was a shock to her.

All depends on your level of cover and what aneathasist is on duty at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    An anaesthetist might also charge different amounts depending on when they've been called out. I know where I live it can cost more on weekends then during business hours, and some even charge extra for call outs on cold winter nights! I think the best thing to do is be prepared for a gap and if there isn't one that's a bonus.

And, if you do need one, you won't be thinking about the cost! Good luck