+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by parentingrocks View Post
    Hi all, i partiipated in this thread last year before starting BMid at Vic Uni Melbourne, I've just finished year 1.
    I have just moved to the Gold Coast! So this has unfortunately stuffed up my study. I have had to exit from Vic Uni and re apply through QTAC to start again up here - I can't transfer as the curriculams aren't close enough as far as I know but I have been told a few times usually once you get in you sit down and chat with the course co ordinater to sort out what I may be able to do to fast track through year 1. I love Midwifery so much, I receieved all D's and HD's 1st year and I really want to continue studying but now I'm soooooo nervous because I've noticed many of you have recieved early offers and I haven't heard anythig yet Are early offers for mature age usually, and major offer round (17th jan) for school leavers? I just feel like I musn't have got in?? I've applied for southern cross, GU and ACU.
    Any thoughts??
    P.S Congrats to RHM pn graduating!! It ws because of you and your wise words that I got in last year. You are so caring and supportive you're going to make an amazing midwife xx
    Aw thanks honey. Fingers crossed for you for the major round, and I hope you can get some credits at the very least!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Getting super excited. 3 weeks until i start my degree. My tuts come out on the 21st and i have been looking at what textbooks i need.

I have also been looking at working in the UK after i finish my degree. has anyone looked at this. would love to hear your thoughts

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2012 Nursing and Midwifery students chat

This time next week I will be very impatiently waiting for 4pm to roll around to find out if I have an offer in nursing. It seems to be taking forever to come around!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Replying to Parksider - I don't think the we'll have a majority of midwife only in Australia..... The tertiary hospital I did prac at did, as we would have 10 midwives staffing the ward alone and we never got outliers because med/surg/gynae wards were large enough and just as well staffed so you could have a larger number of RM only on the staff. The regional hospital I'm at now the gynae ward has closed for Xmas/new year so there are no elective procedures booked but we've gotten all their emergency cases. Private hospitals often have combined maternity/gynae wards and I know there were a couple of hospitals I couldn't apply to for a midwife position because I wasn't dual qualified. My friend who is working in an outback hospital (not a small one) they can only employ one RM only because when maternity is empty they can't redeploy her to another ward.

The Grad Dip seems to be getting phased out with a Masters of Mid getting phased in which is 18 months and is moving towards non-paid positions for placement and will be supernumerary like the undergrad placement positions and not to be confused with the Master of Mid that other uni's have which is for already qualified RM's to upgrade their skills etc.

I don't the BMid is a bad thing, I think even though we did do major medical conditions affecting pregnancy and drugs etc some more knowledge on other medical conditions that people might have like influenza/pneumonia etc. Sometimes I think we spent too much time focusing on natural things and holistic (which isn't a bad thing) but unless your lucky to get a position in a continuity of care program, your going to be completely unprepared for the reality of hospital midwifery. I know I was taught the mindset of epidurals are bad etc and then really struggled with the concept that someone has the right to whatever pain relief they need etc if that makes sense.
    I totally agree, wannawannabe. I never think there'll be a majority of BMid-only midwives in Aust (don't think I said that??). I was just agreeing with spice (I think it was?) who said that over time BMid qualified midwives will be a bit more common. Just like when nurse training went from hospital-based to university-based, it'll be a slow transition but there will eventually be a new normal.

spice, thanks for your concern. I'm feeling pretty good about the path I am taking. I've spoken with the course coord a few times, and she has been really lovely. However, I would never take a university course coordinator's word for how employable I'll be after doing their program -- it serves them to get lots of people into their program, after all! To answer your question, no, I'm not planning to go rural, although due to my husband's work I'll probably always be in a regional centre of some type.

Thanks for sharing your Griffith experience - I'll be doing the same thing (starting P/T, so no clinical stuff in my first year of study). Glad to hear you found it more than doable with everything else, especially compared to the F/T students. Makes me feel very content with my decision to go P/T.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yay!! Got into Griffith Logan Bachelor of midwifery!! First preference so happy!!! Anyone else at Griffith this year or already at Griffith? Would love to get an idea of the 1st year work load- approx hours in campus etc. good luck to anyone else waiting on offers today. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by parentingrocks View Post
    Yay!! Got into Griffith Logan Bachelor of midwifery!! First preference so happy!!! Anyone else at Griffith this year or already at Griffith? Would love to get an idea of the 1st year work load- approx hours in campus etc. good luck to anyone else waiting on offers today. X
    Congratulations!

At GU, you will do a two week intensive at the beginning of each semester. This is generally the only time you'll need to attend the university. If you happen to get to do your placement at Logan hosp, then you'll have a weekly 'Tutes at clinical' (TAC) session at the uni too. It is a very intensive program & my advice to you is to try & get a study group going amongst other students who will be doing their placement at the same hospital as yourself.
    TIP: you can get an off-peak parking permit for about $25 for the month which is much cheaper than paying daily ($5.50). Do a search of the Griffith web site.

Thanks
    Reviews

Woohoo I got into a bachelor of nursing at uniSA, was not expecting to get in.. Bring it on I'm excited..

Thanks
    Reviews

Congrats parenting rocks! Welcome I started part time last year so this year will be doing Prep for midwifery practice, and effective communication with you. (I'm also knocking off a 3rd year elective this semester). I agree with brunfelesia, it's a very full on degree. Orientation days this year are Tue 29/1 and wed 30/1, i higjly reend going to this! and then you will need to be at intensives for the first 2 weeks of Feb!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2mj View Post
    Woohoo I got into a bachelor of nursing at uniSA, was not expecting to get in.. Bring it on I'm excited..
    Congratulations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Got a letter today offering me a RM position....

I started working in this position full time 7 weeks ago.....

QLD Health on the ball....