+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    First week of work done. Not entirely sure if the job is actually for me. Hell of a lot different being the midwife then being the student.

Don't know if its the emotions of being new clouding everything or if its just reality.

Awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    First week of work done. Not entirely sure if the job is actually for me. Hell of a lot different being the midwife then being the student.

Don't know if its the emotions of being new clouding everything or if its just reality.

Awesome.
    Oh dear Did you do placement there before this? What was it that made you feel like that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post

Awesome.
    Sounds like you could do with a debrief? Doyou have someone you can talk to? Hope you're ok- this must be an awful way to feel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Give yourself some time honey! It is a huge step to go from student to midwife I would assume. And after you final placement you just need some time to find your own path in how you do things (can you remind me of all this in a few months??)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RHJ For This Useful Post:

Brunfelsia Dreaming  (19-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Oh dear Did you do placement there before this? What was it that made you feel like that?
    Nopes, didn't do placement there. The hospital is 2,000 km's away from where I went to uni (same state thank god) so having immense amounts of fun of being a grad combined with being new to the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    Sounds like you could do with a debrief? Doyou have someone you can talk to? Hope you're ok- this must be an awful way to feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by RHJ View Post
    Give yourself some time honey! It is a huge step to go from student to midwife I would assume. And after you final placement you just need some time to find your own path in how you do things (can you remind me of all this in a few months??)
    Naw thanks. It could be a hell of a lot worse, there's been no dramas as such. But its just very different from when you were a student and the midwife would be would you mind doing so and so's ob's/meds/cares and she would go deal with something (like discussing with the doctor/referring someone to social work) all that stuff that you couldn't do because you weren't actually a midwife/employee of the hospital. And you'd wonder why they looked so stressed because all they just did was chat to the social worker for a few minutes hehe.

Just the giant learning curve, pretty sure it would be the same everywhere. But I was hired as an RM not through a graduate program (which I knew and the hospital knew before I started) so don't have a preceptor/limited grad support compared to what you'd get with a graduate program. It's pretty much you're the midwife, good luck.

Vent over. Probably hasn't helped with the fact that I only did 2 weeks on the ward in my entire third year..... and did 18 weeks in Birth suite (was a bit of birth slurry....uni thought they were more important :S ) so seriously out of practice with what the hell one does on the ward. And women keep disappearing on me.

But everyone was still okay by the end of the shift, so can't have been that bad....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah yes, I understand. When I got the Job at the first hospital (not the one I will be at now though) They started making me do all that stuff. Filling out request forms for broken things, calling maintenance, kitchen etc. so that I would be better equipped for the start of my grad year. Now I will be at a new hospital with a lot more going on, so it will be interesting to see how I go. It would be very hard though going to a new hospital with no graduate support at all. As you said, they were all ok at the end of your shift, so you did well. Maybe you can ask the person who works after you just to let you know if you miss anything so that you can learn from that and remind them that you are just out of uni etc, so would appreciate their help (and compassion if you do miss stuff). I am sure you are doing much better than you feel you are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    wannawannabe - I have been told that there will be up days & down days (peaks & valleys) with how we'll feel. It's part & parcel of the transition from supported student to the midwife. I'm sure you'll be great; please stick with it. It'll be so worth it. Find yourself a mentor who shares your midwifery philosophy as soon as you can. Do keep in touch though.

AFM - I have a grad position at 0.5 & start in February. Soooo....you awesome ladies will get to hear of my ups & downs too no doubt. I can hardly believe it. I'm now a registered midwife, I have a job and it all seems surreal.

Congratulations to everyone who has been offered university places

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Brunfelsia Dreaming For This Useful Post:

RHJ  (20-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2012 Nursing and Midwifery students chat

Congratulations Sandra!!! How awesome !! Which hospital did you get the grad position at? Can't wait to hear how it all goes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    wannawannabe - I have been told that there will be up days & down days (peaks & valleys) with how we'll feel. It's part & parcel of the transition from supported student to the midwife. I'm sure you'll be great; please stick with it. It'll be so worth it. Find yourself a mentor who shares your midwifery philosophy as soon as you can. Do keep in touch though.

AFM - I have a grad position at 0.5 & start in February. Soooo....you awesome ladies will get to hear of my ups & downs too no doubt. I can hardly believe it. I'm now a registered midwife, I have a job and it all seems surreal.

Congratulations to everyone who has been offered university places
    Yay!!! Congratulations.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RHJ For This Useful Post:

Brunfelsia Dreaming  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello lovely ladies,

I was wondering if I could pick you brains!?!

I have been looking at studying Midwifery for a couple of years now (have posted in this thread before) last year I was accepted but ended up turning it down as I suffered a miscarriage and didn't feel I was in the right place.

This year has been an exact repeat of last year

Anyway...

I have been considering options in the meantime. I have been told that I would be wise to study both Nursing and Midwifery and not the Midwifery alone. I am wondering what others think about this...

I am uncertain as to how I will go with nursing. I feel there would be parts I would really enjoy but also am worried I won't like other aspects. Obviously it opens up more employment opportunities. As in if there were no midwifery jobs I could go for a nursing position and who knows, maybe I'll really love nursing.... but my real passion would be for Midwifery and I wouldn't want to be overlooked for those jobs if I do the duel degree. Are you more employable as a Nurse/midwife or are those who do straight midwifery favoured generally?

I'm considering the UQ Bach Nurse/midwifery course. Anyone studying there? How is it?

Otherwise I would go ACU or Griffith for straight Midwifery. Love to hear about each of those courses also

Also, as I have missed out on applying this year through QTAC does anyone know of a distance ed course or something similar that I could study and get some credit for Bach Mid/nursing in the future? Would be great to get the A&P subject out of the way this year for example.

Sorry for the million Q's!!

TIA