+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2012 Nursing and Midwifery students chat

Harvestmoon, yes I have one that I did, but I would like another if that's ok.
    Mine is from a private Institution and I would like another one.

Thanks so much.
    Where are you doing your study through?

I think I remember you through trying to conceive on here?
    My baby is 3 months old and 22 months old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: 2012 Nursing and Midwifery students chat

Quote Originally Posted by angelanathan View Post
    Harvestmoon, yes I have one that I did, but I would like another if that's ok.
    Mine is from a private Institution and I would like another one.

Thanks so much.
    Where are you doing your study through?

I think I remember you through trying to conceive on here?
    My baby is 3 months old and 22 months old
    Oh ok. I will send my through when we are at home- waiting at the doctors with DS atm so will probably be a while.

My test is through hunter tafe. It's quite brief.

It's not me that you are thinking of- my youngest is 5.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Thank you
    All sent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For the SE Queensland girls
    Logan, Redlands and Nambour Hospitals are all advertising Midwife vacancies on the Qld Health jobs board.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kelgc View Post
    Yey!! I have also been accepted into BA MID at griffith for 2003!!! Its so amazing to receive the news however its all so daunting to think how its going to be possible to study with 2 kids under 5!!!

I am considering quitting work so i can have enough time to share between uni, kids, house and hubby!!!! I would love to hear from the more advanced girls hoe did they adapt with their new uni routines and motherhood!!!

Regards to all and I hope to meet all the new graduates and all the new experienced ladies!!!!
    Take care,
    Wow, look at all the early offers for GU. Well done girls! One of my friends received an early offer in November also!

KelGC I saw your post and thought I'd reply from my perspective. Firstly, if you can afford to stop your paid employment and just focus on the degree then I say do it! However it's not not doable if you work as long as you have flexibility. I would definately recommend going part time if you're working. I've just finished my first part time year doing BMid at GU. When I started my 2 kids were 4 and 18 months and I work 24 hours a week (three 8 hour days). I put the kids into daycare on one additional day per week once uni started so I had 1 kid free "study day". This worked quite well but I did occasionally put them in for an extra day if I needed it and kindy could fit them in. I won't lie, it's been an extremely challenging year. I'm 35 and this is my first undergraduate degree so it's been a big learning curve getting the hang of studying again, and academic writing etc. etc. I did have the odd meltdown and there were times where I was less patient with the kids than I should have been. Mind you, I'm not gifted in the fact that I cannot spit out a HD assignment in a couple of days. I spend many many hours on assignments, stressing and tweaking. But it did pay off I managed to end the year on a 6.75GPA. I missed out on a 7 by 0.4 of a mark!
    BUT, I love love love this degree. And GU is amazing. And the lecturers are amazing and very supportive. I am really looking forward to starting my clinical placements next year. Although it will be even crazier! I will have 2 kid free days per week next year and I am lucky that my employer is quite flexable so if I have to leave work to go to follow throughs appointments etc I can just make up the time.
    Someone mentioned placements above. Yep the 3 main partnered hospitals are Logan redlands and GC. My advice is to definately put down your closest one as your first pref. Remember you will be doing many many shifts at your placement hospital and this will include early, late and nights shifts on a 7 day roster. Plus attending follow throughs appointments plus attending follow throughs births ( if a follow through happens to be in labour while you're on a rosterd shift it doesnt count as clinical hours you have to make up the time). Also it'ss also probably worth mentioning that unfortunately you don't always get allocated your first preference. It just depends on where the students live that have applied and they will generally try to put you at your closest facility but it all depends. Last year they increased the intake to double of what it was in the previous 2 years and I think this put a lot of stress on the hospitals with regards to fitting all the students in so it will be interesting to see whether they have reduced the number of offers for next year to try to even it out.

It is going to take me 5 years to finish the degree, I am doing the first 2 years as part time then will do the final year fulltime. I'd love to do the 2nd year fulltime as well but there is no chance I could cope because of my paid employment. One of my friends has just completed her second year and she was telling me that they had 11 assignments in one semester on top of at least 2 rostered shifts per week and all of the modules for each course to do and follow throughs etc etc.

Good luck girls! You're in for a crazy exciting year ahead! Might see some of you at intensives. I'll be doing prep for Prac and Effectrive Communication. Plus I'm knocking of a 3rd year elective next semester too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI Spice, thank you for taking the time and replying to my post!!
    I am starting to have butterflies in my tummy already as time approaches. I received all the midwifery paper work last week so now I am trying to get all documents ready, shots, etc....

I can totally relate to you spending hours with assignments, I am the same!!!
    Did you find ok to find ladies to do follow throughs? Is it up to us to find all the women we must do follow throughs?

Well i wish you a happy xmas and good rest!!!
    Merry xmas to all you ladies as well!!!
    Best wishes!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi kelgc, if you start part time you won't actually start follow throughs til the second year. And it also allows you the 12 months to get all your clinical requirements (shots, police check etc etc) sorted so that in second year you can hit the ground running. Anyone starting fulltime this year make sure you're onto this straight away as you will not be able to commence follow throughs etc. until you've completed the requirements and this will take a few months even on the accelerated hep b schedule. As for follow throughs I have a couple waiting in the wings but cannot properly commit until i have comfirmation that ill be based at gch. Put the word out there with fily and friends and you can also recruit at the antenatal clinic. Your follow throughs must be birthing at your allocated hospital though so you can't really commit to anyone until you find out your allocated hospital

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI im new here,

My name is Cathy. Im a mum of 5 and i have been accepted into Bach Nursing and UC. my plan is to do nursing first then do 1yr midwifery. I have a huge passion for midwifery and cant wait to get started
    I am fully enrolled and now have to wait for the 21st of jan to pick all my tuts. if i get what i want i only have to go to uni 2 days full days every second week and 2 2hr days on the other weeks. does that seem to little to you?
    i also have the dates for my first prac and have preferenced where i want to do them.
    its pretty exciting. cant wait to start

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm so jealous of everyone who has already been accepted into nursing. I won't find out untill January 17th and its killing me!! I'm hoping to get into nursing at unisa.