+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    MRJB is offline Good things come to those who wait!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats on the other offers

Well apparently you can go outside of the allocated hospitals but seems like a logistical nightmare and you'd probably lack peer support!

Just tossing up between Logan and Redlands still. The new facilities at the Gold Coast sounds pretty amazing and it's only 25 minutes longer by car than logan/ redlands (according to google maps) but god forbid there is an accident or you're travelling in peak! I'm in for a hike either way

GU are partnered with Townsille GH, possibly Toowoomba too? I'm not sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MRJB View Post
    Congrats on the other offers

Well apparently you can go outside of the allocated hospitals but seems like a logistical nightmare and you'd probably lack peer support!

Just tossing up between Logan and Redlands still. The new facilities at the Gold Coast sounds pretty amazing and it's only 25 minutes longer by car than logan/ redlands (according to google maps) but god forbid there is an accident or you're travelling in peak! I'm in for a hike either way

GU are partnered with Townsille GH, possibly Toowoomba too? I'm not sure.
    GU are no longer partnered with the Townsville Hospital (the website is wrong, I've spoken with GU and they are definitely not a partner anymore). Toowoomba definitely is, but I'm guessing that's still too far for you

You are right about taking peak hour traffic/accidents into account. Also consider that GU requires you to work ALL shifts (including nights) during the course - so consider how you might feel driving home at 7.30am after working all night - the extra 25 mins could be a real killer!

At this point I will probably be one of those people going outside of the allocated hospitals (although I still had to select my preferences according to what they had on QTAC - did you not have to do that?). I possibly will lack peer support but I'm okay with that. The course coordinator has said they have some students who are doing that currently and are okay.

Just a question (which you don't have to answer if you'd rather not) - out of curiosity, how come you chose Griffith over one of the unis that are partnered with the northside hospitals closer to you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I'm not travelling to Townsville or Toowoomba so I guess it's a moot point anyway haha.

I am going to try a couple of non- partnered hospitals and see what progress I make, failing that I think I'll go with Redlands.

I chose GU after looking into the others as their program suited my situation best. My sister is looking after my 18 month old so for the intensive and changing shifts it works best (not willing to put her in day care just yet) and then the online modules rather than set tutorial/ lecture/ lab times. So GU was my first and only preference. Also, after doing a research degree with a heavy amount of theoretical learning, the emphasis on practical learning appealed to me!

What made you choose GU? Is it too early to set up a FB group? I never go on here Haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone, I thought I would chime in here because this forum was so helpful to me last year! I'm just finishing up my first year as a BMid student at Griffith and I'm out of state. I have three kids aged 6 and under and am expecting my fourth! Wasn't so much expecting that, but these things happen for a reason. I've been full time this year with my youngest being 20 months when I started. My partner is in the army so not any family support around.

Putting it honestly, it's been a HUGE year. My husband has been sent on trips and just after I started my first semester he was sent away for 8 weeks! Only after I had done 6 weeks solo parenting and studying full time did a friend mention to me that I should get an au pair. Why didn't I think of that?! Then second semester rolled around and shift work started and I struggled with morning sickness. Arrgghh!
    Would I do it all over again... would rather not but if I had to I would! I am so proud of what I've achieved and it's been hugely rewarding! I've learnt so much and love what I'm learning.
    Starting the year out I only enrolled my youngest in two days of childcare a week and my middle child in three days ( he was at a short day preschool 2 days a week and then went to one day of long daycare with my youngest), my oldest started school this year. Half way through first semester I upped childcare to three days a week for my youngest. Appointments with follow through women made it difficult to juggle things since they obviously planned their appointments around their schedule and not mine! When I got to second semester and shiftwork things did get a little crazy. I upped my childcare for my youngest to 4 days a week just for about 8 weeks since I couldn't always get the shifts I wanted with my preceptors on my allocated childcare days. We also managed to have an au pair for a month who worked magic in our household filling in the gaps and easing the load for hubby. I'm out the other side now with one exam left to go and after that my kids will only be going to childcare one day a week so I can spend loads of time with them! Hugely rewarding experience but at times I didn't know if I could do it. Looking forward to the holidays to recover physically, emotionally and financially ( childcare fees!). Happy to answer any questions about hospitals outside of the allocated griffith hospitals if anyone has any. That was a journey in and of itself! For all of you lovely ladies starting next year.... You will love it! xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MRJB View Post

I chose GU after looking into the others as their program suited my situation best. My sister is looking after my 18 month old so for the intensive and changing shifts it works best (not willing to put her in day care just yet) and then the online modules rather than set tutorial/ lecture/ lab times. So GU was my first and only preference. Also, after doing a research degree with a heavy amount of theoretical learning, the emphasis on practical learning appealed to me!

What made you choose GU? Is it too early to set up a FB group? I never go on here Haha.
    I thought you'd say that - I was pretty much the same. I've spent a long time looking into the different courses around, and kept coming back to Griffith. I then had a few phone convos with Mary, which pretty much sealed the deal. Very happy to have found out that I'm in!

I'll be on board a FB group when the time comes! Are you going PT or FT?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepees View Post
    Hi everyone, I thought I would chime in here because this forum was so helpful to me last year! I'm just finishing up my first year as a BMid student at Griffith and I'm out of state. I have three kids aged 6 and under and am expecting my fourth! Wasn't so much expecting that, but these things happen for a reason. I've been full time this year with my youngest being 20 months when I started. My partner is in the army so not any family support around.

Putting it honestly, it's been a HUGE year. My husband has been sent on trips and just after I started my first semester he was sent away for 8 weeks! Only after I had done 6 weeks solo parenting and studying full time did a friend mention to me that I should get an au pair. Why didn't I think of that?! Then second semester rolled around and shift work started and I struggled with morning sickness. Arrgghh!
    Would I do it all over again... would rather not but if I had to I would! I am so proud of what I've achieved and it's been hugely rewarding! I've learnt so much and love what I'm learning.
    Starting the year out I only enrolled my youngest in two days of childcare a week and my middle child in three days ( he was at a short day preschool 2 days a week and then went to one day of long daycare with my youngest), my oldest started school this year. Half way through first semester I upped childcare to three days a week for my youngest. Appointments with follow through women made it difficult to juggle things since they obviously planned their appointments around their schedule and not mine! When I got to second semester and shiftwork things did get a little crazy. I upped my childcare for my youngest to 4 days a week just for about 8 weeks since I couldn't always get the shifts I wanted with my preceptors on my allocated childcare days. We also managed to have an au pair for a month who worked magic in our household filling in the gaps and easing the load for hubby. I'm out the other side now with one exam left to go and after that my kids will only be going to childcare one day a week so I can spend loads of time with them! Hugely rewarding experience but at times I didn't know if I could do it. Looking forward to the holidays to recover physically, emotionally and financially ( childcare fees!). Happy to answer any questions about hospitals outside of the allocated griffith hospitals if anyone has any. That was a journey in and of itself! For all of you lovely ladies starting next year.... You will love it! xoxo
    Thanks for chiming in thepees! I was really hoping you'd come back on

I hope the downhill run is kind to you, and that you enjoy your holiday (and maternity leave? Are you taking a year's leave of absence then?)

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I will take you up on your offer of more insider info about the hospital placement stuff, but I'll PM you about that.

Your thoughts, esp re juggling childcare, follow throughs, placement etc has confirmed by decision to go PT - as much as I really want to get stuck into it all, I think for my own sanity I need that extra breathing space. Waiting until 2014 to start any clinical work (when my kids will be almost 7, almost 5 and 2ish, as opposed to 6, 4 and 15 mos) is just what I'll need to do. I am still going to go with 2 days of daycare/week for the youngest (others in school and kindy) because I have extra study and volunteer work to fit in too. And I've already found my first grey hair - don't need to get (too many) more!

Best of luck with the end of the year!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For new students, I just created a Facebook page.

"BH 2013 Student midwives"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

RHJ  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So it seems after several years of a students bubhub thread it has moved to Facebook! I'm still interested to hear what everyone is up to so feel free to keep posting in here too This space has been important to many people looking for information about particular university programs and for support so it'd be a shame to lose it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    So it seems after several years of a students bubhub thread it has moved to Facebook! I'm still interested to hear what everyone is up to so feel free to keep posting in here too This space has been important to many people looking for information about particular university programs and for support so it'd be a shame to lose it
    I totally agree! I've enjoyed hearing about everyone's experiences at different stages in their journey

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Parksider For This Useful Post:

Brunfelsia Dreaming  (04-12-2012)