+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna8888 View Post
    How did that happen??? I have been looking at QLD Health job list for any vacancies and they are all CNs, if not, RNs with Grades higher than a 3!
    As an RN you start at Grade 5 But yes there's not much out there for a 'normal' RN. Also call the nursing recruitment offices of any hospitals that you're interested. I called a number and emailed my cover letter/cv to them for their 'recruitment pool' even though they weren't recruiting at the moment and then they contacted me to arrange an interview at the same time they put an advertisement up.You just have to be really pro-active and contact the hospitals and send expression of interests in to them even if they're not advertising. I know the RM grad program at the RBWH is never advertised online and it's just word of mouth/annoying the hospital to get details for applications for it.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 30-10-2012 at 11:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parksider View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm trying to be all chill about it, because I know you're right - things can change a lot in a few years.

And yes, QLD is in all sorts of trouble.

RHJ, I hope you've gotten your last essay done and finished your course! How exciting!
    Essay done, One exam down, one more to go next Tuesday In between now and then I am hoping to get the last of my birthing numbers. I either need 3 assisted or 8 more Normals... not so easy in a smaller hospital. But I am loving it still- getting to be "on call" is certainly interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by JJJCB View Post
    Hi there

I've been a follower of this thread on and off for the last 2 years, prior to that I was a keen contributor while I was awaiting an offer for BMID from ACU in Melbourne. (possibly under a different forum name, most likely Jamoz315) I did get an offer from ACU but I deferred my offer for 2 years.

So here I am 2 years later, I now have 3 kids, having had my 3rd in January of this year. I'm now trying to decide whether to take up my place at ACU, wondering if I can make it work with 3 kids, but more concerning, is the lack of grad positions at the end of the degree, and this is really discouraging me. (I know this is affecting everyone, so I am among a lot of you and hoping things will change over the next 4 years and grad positions will be easier to come by).

I was hoping some of you, in particular, those with more than one child, can give me as much advice as possible on how to juggle everything and if you used child care etc...to make it work. I'm only going to start part time as ACU offer this for the first year. My husband works mainly nights and weekends, however, I don't really want to leave the picking up and dropping off of school and kinder and the care of our 1 year old all to him, when he may have had a busy night working the night before. We have looked into an Au Pair, or maybe family day care (I have used this before and was happy with it) as I don't want my daughter to have to change kindergartens so not keen on long day care centres.

RHJ, congrats on finishing your degree You were in your first year when I was waiting on an offer, so its nice to see that it can be done, even when you have kids! I'd love some advice from you, do you have any idea why some grads get positions over others? What sets them apart? I've heard its how you are on prac rather than grades etc...Do you think this is true? Sorry for the novel, but I would really appreciate ANY advice, I only have 3 weeks to decide what to do!

Cheers,
    Jodie (JJJCB)
    Hey Jodie... I remember you Just give it all a go IMO. You can always drop down subjects if you aren't coping (especially ones that have the prac element). Just start it, because I honestly believe there is never a right time to start. I also believe that by the time you finish things may well have changed RE grad years. I mean when I started 3 years ago- you could basically pick and chose where you wanted to be- or so I was told. Surely they won't let this situation go on for another 3-4 years- what a joke (it is a joke that it was allowed to happen again this year!).

I have absolutely NO idea how grads are chosen. I am actually lucky enough that I was offered 2 graduate positions- one private which I accepted, and then in a twist of fate I was offered another one in my dream public hospital after all the computer matching had been done. Strange, but I seem to have absolutely lucked out. I believe most hospitals go off different criteria. Some go off your cover letters initially and then off your interview if they offer you one (with over 130 applications at most of the hospitals I applied for, you were a lucky one to get an interview- they only interviewed 50-60). Others went off your clinical appraisal reports I believe, then interview, and others off your academic transcript. None of them let on either before interview what they are looking for either! The only real thing I can suggest is that when it comes time to apply- apply EARLY!!!! I know a lot of the girls who applied later in the application period only got 1 interview- at the hospital that did interview everyone- and having read their CV's and cover letters, myself and a few friends could see no difference other than the timing. They were still about a week before the cut off, but it seems that it just got too much IMO for most of the hospitals to read.

Half of the girls who got offered jobs (a whole 12 of us out of about 25), have jobs at the place where they did their prac. The other half are at new hospitals. There were some brilliant midwives who were not offered positions- the sad fact is that sadly there were just no where near enough jobs offered for us this year to go around. I just have my that somehow more jobs become available for the rest of my gorgeous friends, who have worked just as hard as me the past 3 years and deserve a job just as much as anyone else.

ETA- I did it with 3 kids (the youngest was 1.5 when I started). I used before and after school care (OSCH) for the 2 eldest- just booked in around my Uni timetable, and then full time childcare for the youngest. My hubby had to do drop off and sometimes pick up for childcare/OSHC around my shift hours. It is certainly doable. I also had back up from my mum and dad when I had my prac blocks- which were sometimes during school holidays so some days my parents had the school boys, and other days I booked them into OSHC.
    Last edited by RHJ; 30-10-2012 at 16:19.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RHJ For This Useful Post:

JJJCB  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RHJ View Post
    Essay done, One exam down, one more to go next Tuesday In between now and then I am hoping to get the last of my birthing numbers. I either need 3 assisted or 8 more Normals... not so easy in a smaller hospital. But I am loving it still- getting to be "on call" is certainly interesting!

Hey Jodie... I remember you Just give it all a go IMO. You can always drop down subjects if you aren't coping (especially ones that have the prac element). Just start it, because I honestly believe there is never a right time to start. I also believe that by the time you finish things may well have changed RE grad years. I mean when I started 3 years ago- you could basically pick and chose where you wanted to be- or so I was told. Surely they won't let this situation go on for another 3-4 years- what a joke (it is a joke that it was allowed to happen again this year!).

I have absolutely NO idea how grads are chosen. I am actually lucky enough that I was offered 2 graduate positions- one private which I accepted, and then in a twist of fate I was offered another one in my dream public hospital after all the computer matching had been done. Strange, but I seem to have absolutely lucked out. I believe most hospitals go off different criteria. Some go off your cover letters initially and then off your interview if they offer you one (with over 130 applications at most of the hospitals I applied for, you were a lucky one to get an interview- they only interviewed 50-60). Others went off your clinical appraisal reports I believe, then interview, and others off your academic transcript. None of them let on either before interview what they are looking for either! The only real thing I can suggest is that when it comes time to apply- apply EARLY!!!! I know a lot of the girls who applied later in the application period only got 1 interview- at the hospital that did interview everyone- and having read their CV's and cover letters, myself and a few friends could see no difference other than the timing. They were still about a week before the cut off, but it seems that it just got too much IMO for most of the hospitals to read.

Half of the girls who got offered jobs (a whole 12 of us out of about 25), have jobs at the place where they did their prac. The other half are at new hospitals. There were some brilliant midwives who were not offered positions- the sad fact is that sadly there were just no where near enough jobs offered for us this year to go around. I just have my that somehow more jobs become available for the rest of my gorgeous friends, who have worked just as hard as me the past 3 years and deserve a job just as much as anyone else.

ETA- I did it with 3 kids (the youngest was 1.5 when I started). I used before and after school care (OSCH) for the 2 eldest- just booked in around my Uni timetable, and then full time childcare for the youngest. My hubby had to do drop off and sometimes pick up for childcare/OSHC around my shift hours. It is certainly doable. I also had back up from my mum and dad when I had my prac blocks- which were sometimes during school holidays so some days my parents had the school boys, and other days I booked them into OSHC.
    Thanks so much RHJ, you have no idea how useful and helpful that info is! Need to sit down with my husband and have a good talk about it. Im just worried about adding extra stress to our household right now, my husbands job can mean he is sometimes out all night and weekend. It's already feeling crazy busy with 2 lots of kinder (my eldest 2 are only 1 year apart) and a 10 month old, then adding study to that! Having said that, this is my dream to be doing this degree and maybe a couple of days away from the house and doing something for me will help me cope with all the other mum/housewife stuff!

Anyway, thanks again, your advice is greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck with your last exam and getting your births, RHJ!

And good luck with your decision, JJJCB. I totally hear you - it is so hard to make the decision when it is not just your life (and lifestyle!) at stake, but it is certain the affect your family as well. I have 3 young children too, and have decided to study part-time (at least for the first couple of years), largely because we do not have much family support nearby. And I also fear regretting not having spent a bit more time with them while they were little when I am old and grey and they are all busy with their own lives. I think that midwifery will always be there - my children at this age will not.

However - that is just what is right for me and my circumstance, and is not in any way what I think everyone should do, and nor do I think less of someone who has chosen to do it differently. I just wanted to share some of my thought process.

Anyway, I'm about to put my money where my mouth is, because it has all gotten a lot less abstract suddenly:

I GOT AN EARLY OFFER FOR MY 1ST PREFERENCE BMID PROGRAM!!!!!!

I'm so thrilled

Thank you to all of you ladies for bearing with me as I processed aloud all of my thoughts around applying. Let the roller coaster begin...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parksider View Post
    I GOT AN EARLY OFFER FOR MY 1ST PREFERENCE BMID PROGRAM!!!!!!

I'm so thrilled
    Congrats lovely!!!! I know we all get on here and moan and groan about not getting jobs etc, but things will most definitely have changed in the next 3-6 years (whenever you finish).

And personally, it took me 2.5 months to get a job after graduation and I'll start about 4 months afterwards. 2.5 months to find a job upon graduation is pretty damn good in any field in my opinion. Whilst it felt like the longest freaking 2.5 months of my life, it really wasn't that much time.

Positive thoughts kiddos

MRJB is offline Good things come to those who wait!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to barge in, I have just been accepted into BA MID at Griffith for 2013 and I have been asked to submit my preferences for clinical placement.

Can any GU ladies tell me where they are doing/have done their placement and how the hospitals have been?

Obviously Townsville is not an option, I am northside so it will be a painful commute no matter what but i'd really like to avoid the Gold Coast! So I guess that only leaves Logan and Redlands...TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yey!! I have also been accepted into BA MID at griffith for 2003!!! Its so amazing to receive the news however its all so daunting to think how its going to be possible to study with 2 kids under 5!!!

I am considering quitting work so i can have enough time to share between uni, kids, house and hubby!!!! I would love to hear from the more advanced girls hoe did they adapt with their new uni routines and motherhood!!!

Regards to all and I hope to meet all the new graduates and all the new experienced ladies!!!!
    Take care,

Thanks
    Reviews
    How exciting! Congrats on all the job offers ladies!

I finally have my birth numbers ... just one exam to go and I am done! then I have 4 months holiday before starting my grad year... oh what to do, what to do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats to those who have gotten offers for BMID 2013!!

RHJ - Yay for getting your births!!!!! WHen's your last exam??? WHat an amazing feeling that will be when you graduate!

AFM -I passed my OSCA and I have 3 exams left, then if I pass, will go onto summer semester and graduate mid next year.
    I'm finidng it so hard to focus on my studying at the moment though! DOn't know why!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on getting your births RHJ, and best of luck to malapesa and everyone else who is counting down to exams.

Congrats to the other ladies on your offers - wow, there's a bunch of us here heading to Griffith next year!

Quote Originally Posted by kelgc View Post
    Yey!! I have also been accepted into BA MID at griffith for 2003!!! Its so amazing to receive the news however its all so daunting to think how its going to be possible to study with 2 kids under 5!!!

I am considering quitting work so i can have enough time to share between uni, kids, house and hubby!!!!
    kelgc, I have 3 kids aged 5 and under, so I am going to be going part-time initially, taking four years to complete the course. Are you planning to study PT or FT? I don't know what your job is like, but could you investigate reducing your hours instead of quitting altogether? Nursing/mid seems to be one area where there are a lot of mature aged students/mums - I'm sure there will be plenty others out there with experiences and tips to share. Do you have family close by? That seems to be the biggest thing studying parents mention. I don't, but hope to move during sometime during the course of the program to be closer to family support.

MRJB, I was under the impression the northside hospitals are covered by UQ and ACU, with Griffith picking up the others you listed (I assume you meant Toowoomba, not Townsville?). Good luck figuring out your preferences.

wannawannabe, I don't think anyone was moaning about the job situation Just discussing the current reality. I will be taking four years to finish, so I am just trying to have faith that the cycle will be back to hiring rather than cutting jobs by then. Mustn't be long now until you start? So exciting!