+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay! Just passed another unit. 4 done - a billion to go. Anyone else studying over summer semester as well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm trying to be all chill about it, because I know you're right - things can change a lot in a few years.

And yes, QLD is in all sorts of trouble.

RHJ, I hope you've gotten your last essay done and finished your course! How exciting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parksider View Post
    And yes, QLD is in all sorts of trouble.
    QLD is poo. But QLD is also paying all my moving costs and accommodation for my first 2 weeks. Hoo-ray!! That probably why they couldn't afford to give anyone else a job. Sorry guys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2012 Nursing and Midwifery students chat

Quote Originally Posted by summerly View Post
    Yay! Just passed another unit. 4 done - a billion to go. Anyone else studying over summer semester as well?
    Hi what year are you in?

I just finished my 1st year, waiting to hear about 1 exam result in 2 weeks or so but I'm confident I would of passed (I hope!). I'm doing rural nursing over summer, hopefully it's good! Will help me to spread out my subjects next year and have a lighter work load

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post

But if it makes us feel any better, there was an article in the paper (Courier Mail - QLD) today at the teeny bottom of the page saying that there will be 4000 teaching graduates at the end of this year and 165 available positions in the Queensland to go along with the 16,000 teaching graduates in Queensland that aren't actually employed in a teaching position. Noice. We're not in that position. Yet. (Also why does QLD seem incredibly effed up?)
    That is horrible! I knew the situation was dire for teaching, but not that dire.
    As for QLD being effed up; The high care mobile dementia unit I just worked at, one of a kind in the area, so services all of Brisbane and Logan, got a notification last week that they are closing, along with a local hospital. The facilities had been so neglected thanks to the previous govt. The dementia unit buildings were all 'condemned' but still operating due to previous govt turning a blind eye because they didn't have the $$$. The local hospital would have cost over 200 million to meet the minimal of building codes. If last govt had of pulled their finger out, managed finances and the health sector better, we wouldn't be in this mess

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Also whilst I think of it, for those that are way more brave than me and doing nursing, and if you think it could be your thing, have a look into ADF sponsorship for your degree to then work in the ADF as a nurse upon graduation. They pay your hecs, pay you a salary whilst studying and guarantee employment upon graduation and it would be pretty cool experience especially working in field hospitals.
    Way ahead of you :P Just gotta pass the fitness test now (oh boy..that ain't looking good hahaha). 2 years of salary, plus HECS, plus a 2 year grad program, 1 year in a civilian hosp and the other in a military hosp, in exchange for 3 years service...I'm in! Guarantees my degree will be put to use and I can work as an RN for the rest of my life.

For those that may miss out on a Brisbane nursing grad spot this year, check out QEII hosp. Found out they took on a couple of this years grads when they applied for normal RN spots.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hello again!

Hi there

I've been a follower of this thread on and off for the last 2 years, prior to that I was a keen contributor while I was awaiting an offer for BMID from ACU in Melbourne. (possibly under a different forum name, most likely Jamoz315) I did get an offer from ACU but I deferred my offer for 2 years.

So here I am 2 years later, I now have 3 kids, having had my 3rd in January of this year. I'm now trying to decide whether to take up my place at ACU, wondering if I can make it work with 3 kids, but more concerning, is the lack of grad positions at the end of the degree, and this is really discouraging me. (I know this is affecting everyone, so I am among a lot of you and hoping things will change over the next 4 years and grad positions will be easier to come by).

I was hoping some of you, in particular, those with more than one child, can give me as much advice as possible on how to juggle everything and if you used child care etc...to make it work. I'm only going to start part time as ACU offer this for the first year. My husband works mainly nights and weekends, however, I don't really want to leave the picking up and dropping off of school and kinder and the care of our 1 year old all to him, when he may have had a busy night working the night before. We have looked into an Au Pair, or maybe family day care (I have used this before and was happy with it) as I don't want my daughter to have to change kindergartens so not keen on long day care centres.

RHJ, congrats on finishing your degree You were in your first year when I was waiting on an offer, so its nice to see that it can be done, even when you have kids! I'd love some advice from you, do you have any idea why some grads get positions over others? What sets them apart? I've heard its how you are on prac rather than grades etc...Do you think this is true? Sorry for the novel, but I would really appreciate ANY advice, I only have 3 weeks to decide what to do!

Cheers,
    Jodie (JJJCB)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone
    I'm thinking of doing midwifery after I graduate in 2011 with my BN. After almost a year of travelling, I have been re-considering my options now.

To the students that are in Griffith studying at Logan, I was just wondering how did the OSCAs go? Was it very hard? Its just that when I did my nursing through Griffith and doing the OSCA, it was the most scariest, nervewracking moment ever as soon as I set foot into that room. And to admit my brain stopped functioning was even more scarier.

Also, how is everyone's placements go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey face View Post

For those that may miss out on a Brisbane nursing grad spot this year, check out QEII hosp. Found out they took on a couple of this years grads when they applied for normal RN spots.
    Definitely keep check the Qld health (or nsw or Vic wherever you are) job boards for advertised positions. That's how I got my job, once I got my registration just applied to any Midwife positions being advertised that didn't specify 1-2 years experience. I'm not going into a grad program, will just be a 'midwife'. I noticed quite a few adverts in nsw that didn't specify 1-2 years experience and a couple (Westmead was one that I can think of) even said that uni prac was included in 'relevant experience'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Speaking of registration, even if you are an Australian citizen you still have to meet the English language skills requirement and prove you have done 5 years of secondary/tertiary education taught and assessed in English. So for me this was 3 years uni + 2 years high school which I had to get a letter from the school to state this. (Call Ahpra and check if HSC/VCE/OP etc can be used as proof?) It can also include prior university study if you have another degree or did a partial degree, just has to be 5 years. My friend didn't get her registration until 2 months after I did because she didn't think she had to send the documentation because she was Australian.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 28-10-2012 at 16:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey face View Post
    How did that happen??? I have been looking at QLD Health job list for any vacancies and they are all CNs, if not, RNs with Grades higher than a 3!