+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    How much prac do you typically do? Are most done in 3 week blocks?
    That really depends on the uni. Some offer a combined hospital/oncampus program where each week is split between the two. That is rare though, unfortunately. If you find a uni that offers that, go for it! I had UQ, who offer that, as a first preference until I got realistic about being unable to attend the prac each week if kids or myself were sick and also I couldn't afford after school care for 3 days a week.

Other uni's generally start prac 2nd semester of 1st year with a 3 week block. Then it ranges each semester from 3 to 4 weeks. Some have a speical program when you can utilise the skills learnt in a real setting within another country for just under a month. I'm planning on going to Laos with my uni next year. We will be in a small village which has no health services so will be operating out of a small hut to do health checks on all citizens.

The pracs are generally morning or afternoon starts (ie/7am to 3:30pm or 3pm to 11pm). If there are spots offering night shift, the uni's will have EOI's so only students willing to do them will undertake those.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to monkey face For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    That really depends on the uni. Some offer a combined hospital/oncampus program where each week is split between the two. That is rare though, unfortunately. If you find a uni that offers that, go for it! I had UQ, who offer that, as a first preference until I got realistic about being unable to attend the prac each week if kids or myself were sick and also I couldn't afford after school care for 3 days a week.

Other uni's generally start prac 2nd semester of 1st year with a 3 week block. Then it ranges each semester from 3 to 4 weeks. Some have a speical program when you can utilise the skills learnt in a real setting within another country for just under a month. I'm planning on going to Laos with my uni next year. We will be in a small village which has no health services so will be operating out of a small hut to do health checks on all citizens.

The pracs are generally morning or afternoon starts (ie/7am to 3:30pm or 3pm to 11pm). If there are spots offering night shift, the uni's will have EOI's so only students willing to do them will undertake those.
    Thanks heaps. The prac hours don't seem too bad. I've been tossing up between Diploma of Nursing at TAFE or making an attempt to get in to uni.
    Uni is sounding more manageable with kids,prac and work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Everyone,
    I just wanted to see if there are any nursing or midwifery students from SCU on here? I started my B of nursing 10 years ago and have applied to go back next year doing either midwifery or nursing and am looking for any info on how the courses are these days or anyone that will be hopefully studying there next year too.
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just wanted to say goodluck to all the graduating VIC nursing and midwifery students for tomorrows computer match!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RHJ View Post
    Just wanted to say goodluck to all the graduating VIC nursing and midwifery students for tomorrows computer match!
    How did everyone go?

There is still unfilled positions for nursing and midwifery at quite a few hospitals so check those out if you were unsuccessful.

http://computermatching.pmcv.com.au/...dpositions.cfm

Thanks
    Reviews
    8 out of 25 students from my course got matches not so much opportunity for the mid only girls. Not looking good for any opportunities either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RHJ View Post
    8 out of 25 students from my course got matches not so much opportunity for the mid only girls. Not looking good for any opportunities either.
    F&#K!!!!!

Got my relocation paperwork for job today, but no contract yet so it's a start

One of my friends is graduating nursing this sem in QLD and said the RBWH (one of 3 major tertiary hospitals for the state) has only 9 graduate nursing positions. For the whole freaking hospital!!! They have over 3000 nurses there and can only take on 9 grads. What a joke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Missed a bit lately...

Congrats on your job, wannawannabe. What a relief to finally have a position!

RHJ, those numbers are so scary. Actually, all the numbers on grad spots (nursing and midwifery) being tossed around the interwebs are scary. I know the labour market it pretty tough in all sectors at the moment, but it must be so scary to be pouring your life into a nursing and/or mid degree at the moment, knowing you could very well struggle to actual end up working in the field once you jump through the hoops to graduate.

I know things can change over the course of a few years, but until they start capping the number of uni positions being offered again, I can't see how they will sort this issue out. Perhaps there needs to be a mass movement of nursing/mid/paramedic students petitioning the govt to replace the cap on uni places? Is anyone actually doing anything besides moaning that the cap has been removed whilst the state govts are simultaneously slashing positions? (Not directed at you ladies, just a general question! If there is a petition or something going somewhere, I'd gladly sign it!)

Unrelatedly, and perhaps very foolishly, I've changed my preferences around. #1 pref now a BMid, #2 a dual. #1 preference has an early round offer coming up soon, which I am crossing my fingers for. But my excitement has been dampened a great deal by the continuing horror stories of graduate under- and un-employment. I'm trying to be all "What will be, will be", but I am such a planner, so this freaks me out. Yet I can't imagine doing anything else :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Parksider View Post
    Missed a bit lately...

Congrats on your job, wannawannabe. What a relief to finally have a position!

RHJ, those numbers are so scary. Actually, all the numbers on grad spots (nursing and midwifery) being tossed around the interwebs are scary. I know the labour market it pretty tough in all sectors at the moment, but it must be so scary to be pouring your life into a nursing and/or mid degree at the moment, knowing you could very well struggle to actual end up working in the field once you jump through the hoops to graduate.

I know things can change over the course of a few years, but until they start capping the number of uni positions being offered again, I can't see how they will sort this issue out. Perhaps there needs to be a mass movement of nursing/mid/paramedic students petitioning the govt to replace the cap on uni places? Is anyone actually doing anything besides moaning that the cap has been removed whilst the state govts are simultaneously slashing positions? (Not directed at you ladies, just a general question! If there is a petition or something going somewhere, I'd gladly sign it!)

Unrelatedly, and perhaps very foolishly, I've changed my preferences around. #1 pref now a BMid, #2 a dual. #1 preference has an early round offer coming up soon, which I am crossing my fingers for. But my excitement has been dampened a great deal by the continuing horror stories of graduate under- and un-employment. I'm trying to be all "What will be, will be", but I am such a planner, so this freaks me out. Yet I can't imagine doing anything else :-(
    Why helllooooo parksider!!!

Thanks, I'm dealing with the whole moving away/anxiety saga (thank you god for essential oils and herbal teas) but I just keep thinking that I'll finally be earning decent money and doing a cool job and won't have to scrape freaking plates anymore (which IMO is way more gross than the aftermath of birth).

Don't beat yourself up about your uni choices, you'll be graduating in 2015, we'll have gone through another change of state and federal governments who knows what the hell might be happening then. I know things were a lot different 3 years ago when some of us started. Does the uni you've applied for the BMid also offer the dual degree? It could be handy if it does in case after 1st or 2nd year you decide that you want to swap into the dual program. Just something to think about

No idea about the cap, it's part of the 2012 Higher Education Reform with its overall aim for 40% of Australians between the ages of 25-35 to have a Bachelor's degree by 2025. It's now a demand-driven system with the universities being able to receive funding for as many students as they can enrol. What a joke. All for people being able to receive access to university education, but once something becomes common (such as a Bachelor's degree) it looses its value. These days its expected that you will have completed high school, soon you'll need a degree to be able to be a checkout chick at Woolies. Plus the strain it will be on university resources and then the unpaid HECS debt of people who don't earn over the threshold to pay it back. Off topic rant over.

But if it makes us feel any better, there was an article in the paper (Courier Mail - QLD) today at the teeny bottom of the page saying that there will be 4000 teaching graduates at the end of this year and 165 available positions in the Queensland to go along with the 16,000 teaching graduates in Queensland that aren't actually employed in a teaching position. Noice. We're not in that position. Yet. (Also why does QLD seem incredibly effed up?)

There is less intern positions than doctors graduating this year, the engineering students are struggling to get grad positions when 4/5 years ago the engineering companies were headhunting students in their final year. The same has happened for law students as well, most don't end up as lawyers.

Definitely time to rid the expectation that just because we are doing a 'national priority' course (nursing/midwifery/teaching etc) that we will have guaranteed employment at the end. Turns out we're just like everyone else damnit.

Also found out today that the my midwifery grad program that was cut mid-year from our lovely flagship tertiary hospital, also cut their nursing, medical and allied health mid-year intakes as well. Which made me feel a tad better that it wasn't just the midwifery got cut, and then made me feel really p!ssed off at the stupid hospital.

Also whilst I think of it, for those that are way more brave than me and doing nursing, and if you think it could be your thing, have a look into ADF sponsorship for your degree to then work in the ADF as a nurse upon graduation. They pay your hecs, pay you a salary whilst studying and guarantee employment upon graduation and it would be pretty cool experience especially working in field hospitals.

(Um so I think I'm having essay writing withdrawal......Sorry).
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 17-10-2012 at 22:50. Reason: Grammar nazi/got more ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess in a way Midwifery places are limited though by how many student positions they can find. Sadly this doesn't correlate to the number of graduate positions, but as we all know, things can change in the 3-4 years it takes to get the degree.
    We are now sitting at 11/25 have jobs that I know about. I was offered another job after computer match, so now the other student at my hospital has received my position there and one has a job interstate, so fingers crossed the numbers keep creeping up.

Wannawannabe- I have one more essay to write- and I just can't get into it and being worth 70% of my mark I really should get on to it so I need some of your problem there! If I want my job- I still have to pass!!!