+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Hi guys!

I've been thinking about/looking into studying nursing for a little while. I'm just wondering for a FT student how often would you typically have to attend uni throughout the week?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks for the replies to my question above, wannawannabe and RHJ!

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Hi guys!

I've been thinking about/looking into studying nursing for a little while. I'm just wondering for a FT student how often would you typically have to attend uni throughout the week?
    At the Deakin open day recently I spoke to a woman doing 1st year nursing and she organises her lectures etc so that she only goes in two days a week. She said she could do one day but it would be a ridiculously long day so she splits it. Not sure if her experience is typical though, and she's the only one I spoke to about that topic. Hopefully another student can answer that for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi guys!

Honestly it depends on what university you're looking at, so for the most accurate answer contact them and ask them for the number of contact hours etc.

In SEQ, Griffith and UQ likes to play a different game.... UQ has 1 day of lectures (which maybe 10% of students actually went to), 1 day of PBL/tutorial (where you learnt all the important stuff and was compulsory) and 2-3 days of prac each week.

Griffith does 2 weeks on intensive classtime and then online learning mixed with prac (correct me if I'm wrong guys) and then ACU/QUT do the traditional mixture of lectures/tutorials/practicals during the week with block placements.

But the general rule is that lectures are set times, and you don't have a choice as to when to that is as its only one once a week. Tutorials/practicals they'll run multiples of (theres 10-30ish in each class dependant on what it is) and they'll run at different times throughout the week and thats were your timetable fiddling comes into play. But enrolment opens at set times and it can be sometimes a bit of a battle to get on and get the classes you want before they fill up. Also some uni's are just plain mean and you no matter how hard you try you end up with 3 hours a day for 4 days.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys!

Hey HarvestMood.
    I'm full time and honestly, it depends on what you feel capable of doing. My uni has incorporated it so that the minimum days on campus are 4 days, because they found when students had more days off than that they were working more and not focusing on study and grades went down dramatically.

However of those 4 days one is a full day of lectures which are uploaded online after, so most people don't go and instead watch the lectures during the week. Another day is full of tutes, which for us aren't mandatory so again, most people don't go (well, go in the week where groups are put together for group assignments and the week when it's to be presented). So that leaves 2 days. One of those days is optional labs, which those struggling with the subject go to and then another of those days is a mandatory lab, so everyone has to go that one day.

I chose to only go that one mandatory day (which is only for 2 hours). My grade reflects my need to only go that one day. If I found I was struggling with a concept or my grades dipped, I would go more often. So it really depends on what you are capable of and what the uni you go to dictates as mandatory or not.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to monkey face For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post

Edit: Got grad job 2.0!!! Fingers crossed it actually happens

Can I ask which is the lucky hospital?

At GU, we are required to roster two shifts per week with our practice partners. This means it may be necessary to work across all shifts including weekends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    Can I ask which is the lucky hospital?
    One a long way away hehehe. (2000km's wooo!) Time to get packing!!! And textbook re-reading.... Hope I remember how to catch babies :S

Thanks
    Reviews
    One a long way away hehehe. (2000km's wooo!) Time to get packing!!! And textbook re-reading.... Hope I remember how to catch babies :S
    I'm sure you'll remember how to catch babies
    How very exciting - You'll have to let us know how you're going

Thanks
    Reviews
    Griffith does 2 weeks on intensive classtime and then online learning mixed with prac (correct me if I'm wrong guys) and then ACU/QUT do the traditional mixture of lectures/tutorials/practicals during the week with block placements.
    That's for midwifery Commenter was asking about nursing. One thing Harvestmoon does have to keep in mind is Prac. There has been a melt down from lazy students about where they have been placed and not being able to work during the period even though we have had over 9 months to prepare. It's really frustrated some of us that people without a drivers licence would apply for a degree that involves prac that outlines we can be places from SE QLD to Nth NSW. What did they think would happen when the time came? They would magically have a drivers licence without trying for one? Or those that work would just not save money for the 3 weeks of prac and their bank account would still have money to get them through it? Sorry, incase you can't tell it's a sore point at the moment with people blaming the uni.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to monkey face For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    That's for midwifery Commenter was asking about nursing. One thing Harvestmoon does have to keep in mind is Prac. There has been a melt down from lazy students about where they have been placed and not being able to work during the period even though we have had over 9 months to prepare. It's really frustrated some of us that people without a drivers licence would apply for a degree that involves prac that outlines we can be places from SE QLD to Nth NSW. What did they think would happen when the time came? They would magically have a drivers licence without trying for one? Or those that work would just not save money for the 3 weeks of prac and their bank account would still have money to get them through it? Sorry, incase you can't tell it's a sore point at the moment with people blaming the uni.
    Yep i am only interested in Nursing. I relise i will have to partake in prac and potentially have to travel for it.
    How much prac do you typically do? Are most done in 3 week blocks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey face View Post
    Oops! I did say correct me if I'm wrong hehe. That sucks, I guess if you're living week to week like a lot of uni students are it would tough, even if you did have time to prepare. That was one of the reasons I was really happy with doing prac each week coz I could still work around it. And had a boss who was really with follow throughs and having to drop shifts coz someone was in labour hehe. I don't know how people (especially ones with kids) manage without a licence but that's a whole other thread.