+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 536
  1. #351
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,755
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked
    55
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We do venepunture.

  2. #352
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    8
    Reviews
    0
    Thank you for the clarification on the suturing/cannulation issue. My info was from the two courses I am looking at (one a BMid, the other a dual) - I had just assumed that all BMids were "created equal", and that the skills gained at the end would be the same regardless of which program you went with. Very interesting!

    So, new question for all the student nurses and midwives:

    What is something that you wished you could have known before starting your course? This could be anything to do with the course itself, lifestyle changes etc etc. Any input much appreciated!

  3. #353
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked
    1,263
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parksider View Post
    Thank you for the clarification on the suturing/cannulation issue. My info was from the two courses I am looking at (one a BMid, the other a dual) - I had just assumed that all BMids were "created equal", and that the skills gained at the end would be the same regardless of which program you went with. Very interesting!

    So, new question for all the student nurses and midwives:

    What is something that you wished you could have known before starting your course? This could be anything to do with the course itself, lifestyle changes etc etc. Any input much appreciated!
    Follow throughs..... I knew of them, but didn't really know what that involved. Wasn't I in for a shock hehe. I was also quite annoyed in second year when we suddenly started having to do weekend shifts (my university we did 1 day lecture, 1 day tutorial, 2-3 days prac - so we were always on prac). I was okay with doing weekend shifts/night shifts in 3rd year when all we did was prac, but didnt think it was fair during semester.

    How mentally/emotionally draining doing prac is. Especially when your trying to complete assignments/study for exams.

    How political midwifery was (Yeah I was a tad ignorant at the beginning)

    How b*tchy the people in the hospital/program got.

    That it doesn't matter how much the uni tells you that they care, are family-friendly, will always be there to support you etc at the end of the day their an educational institution and will follow those academic and program rules and regulations to the absolute letter.

    Marks don't matter that much when it comes to getting a job (not that in the way that it would in Law etc). If you've been getting passes/credits in the theory work and have awesome clinical references then you'll get a job over someone with a GPA of 7.0 but isn't that good clinically. Noone really cares if you know the intricate details of cellular function of the digestive system, they'd much rather see you be able to care for a woman with confidence and knowledge.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 15-09-2012 at 15:55.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

    JJJCB  (28-10-2012),Parksider  (18-09-2012)

  5. #354
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    437
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked
    32
    Reviews
    0
    Very well said wannawannabe! I agree 100%

    + all programs are not the same. It's worth looking into the differences.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brunfelsia Dreaming For This Useful Post:

    Parksider  (18-09-2012)

  7. #355
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked
    1,263
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    Very well said wannawannabe! I agree 100%

    + all programs are not the same. It's worth looking into the differences.
    Naw thanks

    Ooooh yes - definitely about the programs!! Whilst you come out with the same degree each uni delivers it differently especially in terms of when and where you do practicals (e.g UQ we did 2-3 days a week instead of block placements and stayed at the one hospital for the three years) and you need to make sure it will suit you and your household arrangements

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

    Parksider  (18-09-2012)

  9. #356
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    437
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked
    32
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Naw thanks

    Ooooh yes - definitely about the programs!! Whilst you come out with the same degree each uni delivers it differently especially in terms of when and where you do practicals (e.g UQ we did 2-3 days a week instead of block placements and stayed at the one hospital for the three years) and you need to make sure it will suit you and your household arrangements
    Griffith is the same. The biggest difference is that at Griffith we do intensives for two weeks at the beginning of each semester from 9-5. Then there are on-line modules to work through and WIMBA (online classrooms). We seem to be ALWAYS doing assessments & our workload is way more than the 10cp it is touted to be per course subject. This format doesn't suit everybody's learning style- To be honest, I think I would've preferred proper lectures & tutes! It is however, very woman-centered & covers a lot of very relevant topics overall.

  10. #357
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    437
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked
    32
    Reviews
    0
    Anyone have any interview tips to share? Haven't had one yet but am feeling very nervous about it all. Writing a cover letter is also like doing an assignment! any tips welcomed

  11. #358
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked
    1,263
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    Anyone have any interview tips to share? Haven't had one yet but am feeling very nervous about it all. Writing a cover letter is also like doing an assignment! any tips welcomed
    Dont forget the basics when it comes to clinical questions!!! I had a question about management of 'heavy over loss' pp, and managed to forget to say that I'd do her basic obs. Duh!!!. And take a few moments before you answer

    Cover letters should go something along the lines of.
    dear boss woman
    i wish to apply for a full time/part time graduate midwife position at awesome hospital. I am currently studying bachelor of mid at brilliant university in awesome town and will be able to commence work in February once I receive my spray registration.

    I have spent my third year placement at awesome hospital working in antenatal clinic, birth suite etc and believe that awesome hospitals graduate program is the best pplace for me to develop me skills and experience as a newly qualified midwife. I received lots of support/loved working at awesome hospital and would love to return next year.

    I have also completed placements at big scar y hospital where I worked in the high risk clinic and little lovely birth centre where I gained experience in low risk normal labour/birth. This wide range of experiences have given me solid grounding for practice as a grad midwife.

    I also have worked at Coles for the last 5 years where I have developed excellent communication and problem solving skills which I have applied to my midwifery practice.

    <<add in any selection criteria they wish you to address>>

    I look forward to hearing from you regarding my application
    brunfelsiadreaming.



    Also quick question, did many of the Griffith girls get an interview at gold coast public? I didn't get short listed at all, and figured they probably only interviewing people who did prac there?

  12. #359
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    437
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked
    32
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Also quick question, did many of the Griffith girls get an interview at gold coast public? I didn't get short listed at all, and figured they probably only interviewing people who did prac there?
    Thank you for your cover letter example. Who'd have thought it would be a dilemma to write

    RE: GC interviews. Some Griffith students who didn't do their placement there applied but didn't hear anything either. But, the GC girls said they heard the hospital had selected applicants based on proximity to the hospital for interview. I also think that they are probably just interviewing from the people who did their placement there.

  13. #360
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked
    1,263
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    Thank you for your cover letter example. Who'd have thought it would be a dilemma to write

    RE: GC interviews. Some Griffith students who didn't do their placement there applied but didn't hear anything either. But, the GC girls said they heard the hospital had selected applicants based on proximity to the hospital for interview. I also think that they are probably just interviewing from the people who did their placement there.
    Can understand interviewing people who have done placement there, thats fair enough. But not the proximity to the hospital thing. They don't know that I'm quite willing to drive the 2 hours for an interview! That bit annoys me.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Calling on Anyone who has applied for Nursing/Midwifery 2012
    By kewok in forum Hubbers who are studying
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 30-07-2015, 12:12
  2. Enrolled Nursing Students
    By Giggle in forum Hubbers who are studying
    Replies: 273
    Last Post: 16-06-2014, 23:17
  3. Nursing or midwifery students
    By Jensha in forum Hubbers who are studying
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-04-2012, 17:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
L'il Aussie Prems Foundation
An Australian charity supporting families of premature babies & children. The charity assists families who are at high risk of giving birth prematurely, who have babies currently in hospital and families with toddlers who were born too soon.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!