+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey ladies - just found this, I'm a first year at ACU Brisbane, doing Mid Think there's at least another one or two doing the same thing? Anyway hi!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow. Just found this.

I have been doing mid for 4 years part time and next year should be my last year. I'm at acu Melbourne.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jensha View Post
    Just read through the whole thread I'm applying for introduction to nursing, it's an 8wk course. I'm taking this to see how I go before doing diploma of nursing EN. I'll get automatic acceptance if I do well with the short course I'm so nervous and excited. Anxious because I was waiting for the lady to call me today and she didn't Can't wait to get It all organized I'll most likely be starting in July just missed the one that started yesterday. It will be with Tafe. Once I've completed nursing I'll be looking at applying for midwifery at uni's

Can anyone tell me the difference between doing an EN or RN course?

How is everyone finding it so far? I've been wanting to do this for the last 6years and finally I feel ready.
    Where are you doing this course? Is it fulltime?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    Where are you doing this course? Is it fulltime?
    The introduction to nursing goes for 8wks and is part time, 2 days a week. I think it covers 4 units from the diploma of nursing (en) It's at Tafe (QLD) im doing it at my local campus I'm not sure if all campus do this course.

Does anyone know the difference between an enrolled nurse and a registered nurse? Is a registered nurse better if I want to continue to midwifery? I'm abit worried about this because Tafe only offers diploma for enrolled nursing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jensha For This Useful Post:

crunchie  (28-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please I would like some help to decide which uni to go..Griffith or SCU?

Hello Everyone, I have read this thread and i seriously think some of you may be able to help me decide which uni i should enrol. I have a bachelor of nutrition and I now would like to do a bachelor of midwifery.
    I live on the GC therefore my first option was to go to scu, however i spoke to the student liaison and she told me griffith has the majority of the placements on the GC so therefore i was expected to go to lismore if needed to do my placement. I wasn't expecting that .
    So I decided to look into griffith Logan, The secretary of the course was so helpful and she did say to me that they have the best midwifery course of Australia, she also told me i have chances of getting into GC hospital for placement. I have also spoken to the professor and she was extremely friendly!!!
    Oh my goodness, I am so confused. i have two little boys and the driving to logan was something I was hoping to avoid, however i have been told that we don't have to go to the campus much.
    Could I please ask for your opinion in regards to the courses and is it possible to do it with 2 under 5 boys?
    Thank you so much and i look forward to participating in here more!!!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi All,

I was just curious if you are required to do nursing prior to midwifery or if you can just go into midwifery?

Also, if you were someone who did not complete year 12, however mid to late 20's, would you even have a shot at studying midwifery?

I am just curious about it all. I have spent 10 years doing Admin/Customer Service/Accounts/Sales/Logistics and to be honest, I am starting to wonder if I need a career change as I am a little bored of what I do.

However I have no idea what I would like to do, and as I didnt do year 12, I am thinking I am possibly limited in what choices I may have.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInShadesOfGrey View Post
    Hi All,

I was just curious if you are required to do nursing prior to midwifery or if you can just go into midwifery?

Also, if you were someone who did not complete year 12, however mid to late 20's, would you even have a shot at studying midwifery?

I am just curious about it all. I have spent 10 years doing Admin/Customer Service/Accounts/Sales/Logistics and to be honest, I am starting to wonder if I need a career change as I am a little bored of what I do.

However I have no idea what I would like to do, and as I didnt do year 12, I am thinking I am possibly limited in what choices I may have.

Thanks everyone.
    It depends on what is on offer near you. I am in melbourne and there are currently 3 direct entry midwifery courses available (thus you don't need nursing first). THere is also the double degree available which takes 4 years and gives you a bachelor of nursing and of midwifery. So check out what the uni's near you offer. Some still only offer a postgraduate midwifery course.

A lot of people do midwifery as mature age students. Usually you have to sit a STAT test or similar which is a generalised test to assess your academic ability. This is what the Uni's use to base your application on if you have no other qualifications that they can use. If you have other tafe or uni Quals they can help in your application. It doesn't even have to relate to what you are wanting to study (nursing or midwifery) it can be IT or anything!

No harm in applying and seeing where you get
    Goodluck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kelgc View Post
    Hello Everyone, I have read this thread and i seriously think some of you may be able to help me decide which uni i should enrol. I have a bachelor of nutrition and I now would like to do a bachelor of midwifery.
    I live on the GC therefore my first option was to go to scu, however i spoke to the student liaison and she told me griffith has the majority of the placements on the GC so therefore i was expected to go to lismore if needed to do my placement. I wasn't expecting that .
    So I decided to look into griffith Logan, The secretary of the course was so helpful and she did say to me that they have the best midwifery course of Australia, she also told me i have chances of getting into GC hospital for placement. I have also spoken to the professor and she was extremely friendly!!!
    Oh my goodness, I am so confused. i have two little boys and the driving to logan was something I was hoping to avoid, however i have been told that we don't have to go to the campus much.
    Could I please ask for your opinion in regards to the courses and is it possible to do it with 2 under 5 boys?
    Thank you so much and i look forward to participating in here more!!!
    Different Uni, Different state, but when I started my BMID i had 3 boys under 6 Don't regret doing it for a second!!! It is certainly do able!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!

Just wanted to check in to this thread - I've been wanting to start my midwifery studies since 2009, but have had to keep putting it off for various reasons. It looks like I'll be finally biting the bullet and applying for the 2013 intake, so I have been keenly following you all as you progress down this road. Like a few other posters, I was also a teacher in my previous (pre kids) life, but have always felt that midwifery was my true calling. I can't wait to make it a reality.

How is everybody finding their courses, now that we're deep into Sem 1?

And how has everybody who has gone before found the jobs situation upon graduation? Are midwifery positions really as abundant as we're lead to believe?

Good luck to everyone currently studying, and a special hello to everyone else waiting to get going with the course :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kelgc, I would definately pick Griffith over SCU. You don't have to go to the Logan CPUs very often. You do 2 weeks of intensives on campus at the beginning of each semester and the rest is mostly external. A lot of the coursework is online and you log on to your computer to attend live interactive lectures. You also attend weekly tutorials at the hospital where you are placed. If you live south of Coomera you have a pretty good chance at being placed at gch for placement. The advantage of GU is that once you are placed there that's where you will do all your clinical. As far as I know at SCU you do bits and pieces everywhere do its harder to build a relationship with a potential employer iykwim? Also at GU your placement consists of rostered shifts. From second semester onward you do 2 rostered shifts per week. This can be any shift over 7 days you just write your name in the spot so it's easy to work around family or work commitments. I have to say I love this degree

12. The Following User Says Thank You to spice For This Useful Post:

kelgc  (11-05-2012)