+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Flowerfae I agree with Tasha. If you have those emails stating that there would be no problems gaining a placement in Townsville you really should make a formal complaint and supply copies along with it. It's aweful that you are in this situation. They should really be doing everything they can to help you IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I also heading to Griffith this year!! 1st year B Nursing for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, a bit off topic to what everyone is talking about, I'm just looking at the textbook list for bmid 1st year at Griffith, it says for physiology in childbearing textbook that it's 2nd edition that's prescribed however there seems to be a third edition out? This may be a little naive, wouldn't we go for the third edition? Also, thepees and flowerfae, I hope you ladies work something out with prac, I've been reading your posts, must be so stressful!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebeingamum87 View Post
    Sorry, a bit off topic to what everyone is talking about, I'm just looking at the textbook list for bmid 1st year at Griffith, it says for physiology in childbearing textbook that it's 2nd edition that's prescribed however there seems to be a third edition out? This may be a little naive, wouldn't we go for the third edition? Also, thepees and flowerfae, I hope you ladies work something out with prac, I've been reading your posts, must be so stressful!

I would get the 3rd Ed as most likely the lecturer will also have that one. The problem you may have though is that in the study plan where it tells you page numbers for readings, they may not have been changed from the 2nd Ed. It is easy enough to look through and find the right pages in the new Ed. Congrats on getting in too !!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Stables & rankin physiology in childbearing is the best text book I have used! Third edition is great. Def get it

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's wehe, I thought that may be the only issue but yep im sure it's easy enough to find the right pages! Thanks, I'm really excited! A bit daunting though! Thanks Tasha, glad to see its a well used textbook! Thanks for your input ladies, will buy the third edition today!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Part-time work...

Hi All,

RE Part Time work around Griffith Midwifery...

How does this work? I am aplying for lots of jobs but I am worried about how this works when you have to attend appointments that ladies schedule (regardless of your timetables) and when they go into labour...

How have others found this? Are employers pretty ok (ie if you're doing casual work at fast food or servo) with you ringing in last minute that a lady is in labour and you need to switch shifts? Am just really worried that work will go down the drain after a few labours....

Trisha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebeingamum87 View Post
    That's wehe, I thought that may be the only issue but yep im sure it's easy enough to find the right pages! Thanks, I'm really excited! A bit daunting though! Thanks Tasha, glad to see its a well used textbook! Thanks for your input ladies, will buy the third edition today!

Yes, do buy the 3rd edition. The GU lecturers will give you the chapters to read and don't go exactly by the page numbers.

I agree. Stables & Rankin is a great text book & well used at GU too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tia82 View Post
    Hi All,

RE Part Time work around Griffith Midwifery...

How does this work? I am aplying for lots of jobs but I am worried about how this works when you have to attend appointments that ladies schedule (regardless of your timetables) and when they go into labour...

How have others found this? Are employers pretty ok (ie if you're doing casual work at fast food or servo) with you ringing in last minute that a lady is in labour and you need to switch shifts? Am just really worried that work will go down the drain after a few labours....

Trisha
    Doing follow throughs will be a bit tricky. If you recruit lovely women from the one antenatal clinic and get to go on just that day, you can work out your work shifts around them. You will likely still have to go to the 36 & 40 week visits at the hospital though & these can be a long wait. You will only need to do them if you haven't got the required number of visits & let your woman know that you cannot make it. For the birth, you have no choice really - if you miss the birth then that woman will not count! Hopefully you'll work somewhere that will have people willing to swap shifts with you.

In 1st year you only need to do 3 in each semester and your placement for 2nd semester will be 2 days a week but you could request morning, evening or night shifts.
    Last edited by Brunfelsia Dreaming; 23-01-2012 at 11:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks :-) I have an interview tomorrow for a part-time nanny (before/after school care for young/teen boys). I think that could work as I should be free from 9:30 - 3pm (ish) daily, and hospital shifts in Sem2 I can do nights. This means most of the days are free for appointments/study (&sleep in semester 2!) just worried that I could get a labour call during afternoon care.... Oh well, this job would work for now, chances are I have about 6months til I need to worry about a labour call...

Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    Doing follow throughs will be a bit tricky. If you recruit lovely women from the one antenatal clinic and get to go on just that day, you can work out your work shifts around them. You will likely still have to go to the 36 & 40 week visits at the hospital though & these can be a long wait. You will only need to do them if you haven't got the required number of visits & let your woman know that you cannot make it. For the birth, you have no choice really - if you miss the birth then that woman will not count! Hopefully you'll work somewhere that will have people willing to swap shifts with you.

In 1st year you only need to do 3 in each semester and your placement for 2nd semester will be 2 days a week but you could request morning, evening or night shifts.