+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you'll be ok Tash I "think" there maybe 2 DEM's already employed there, but i'm not too sure. I'll ask my friend!

Another thing i was thinking about is that Darwin used to be totally against BMid, wouldn't hear a bar of it, and now they are offering the BMid program! So things change, but in saying that Darwin has very strong consumer support for homebirth, midwives etc, so i think the push may have come from a wide circle if you know what i mean? The college of midwives was also very strong there.

Where i am, this doesn't happen so much. Disappointing because it is a tertiary hospital and our population is growing so fast.

I have no idea what to do! I don't want to do the dual, unless it has changed significantly it's not accepted overseas, but the idea of doing nursing breaks my heart

I can't believe all that has happened over the past few years, and still things just can't go right

We can't move, so that's not an option. There are no hospitals close to go to. And the coc's make that impossible anyway.

FFS!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can u contact the midwifery manager again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish i was dealing with her, but i was talking to the head of the entire hospital So no one else higher than her. My friend just texted me, there is one lady at TTH who is a direct entry midwife who just graduated. She can't think of any others who aren't dual trained somehow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thepees, big fingers crossed for you that your DH is posted to Brisbane either this year or next! If you wanted to start f/t this year are there any home birth midwives you could possibly do placement with? Or a private hospital in you vicinity even?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and gotta love people telling you you're not gonna get in huh. QTAC told me twice on the phone I had no hope of getting into my first preference. Lucky I didn't take any notice of them and delete it before the offer round.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerfae View Post
    Griffiths stance is that they can't be seen to be advocating for us, we are supposed to do it ourselves but have their backing.
    That's reason enough me to not touch Griffith with a ten foot pole. That is absolutely terrible support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake91 View Post
    That's reason enough me to not touch Griffith with a ten foot pole. That is absolutely terrible support.
    By the sounds of it they should not be encouraging people who cannot attend the 3 partnered hospitals to apply. I guess the exception would be people who pretty much already have a guaranteed placement at a non partnered hospital such as an existing employee. I'm sure that someone who is already employed as an endorsed nurse for example at a non partnered hospital would have more luck negotiating a student mid placement there. uniSA used to offer midwifery externally but ceased that because of placement difficulties.

For me personally though I am so grateful for Griffith. It is the only uni who's course structure is do- able for me. I have to work part time and have 2 small kids. There is no way I could do the degree in a traditional on campus mode, and blocks of fulltime clinicals format ITMS
    Last edited by spice; 21-01-2012 at 21:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by spice View Post
    By the sounds of it they should not be encouraging people who cannot attend the 3 partnered hospitals to apply.
    Exactly!! As harsh as it sounds, if you can't do your placement at one of the 3 partnered hospitals, then you shouldn't be given an offer. All it does is disappoint you, disappoint someone else who could have gotten your spot, and makes a whole lot of frustration for the uni and the hospitals. There are rules for a reason, and whilst uni can be personalised to a degree for some people with genuine reasons, people should expect that they will have to follow the rules that the uni has set out and not continually expect that they will be made an exception.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just found the email conversation between the course convenor and myself regarding my move to Townsville last year. Glad i keep all these things!

It states very clearly that i would not move to Townsville unless i could continue my degree, ( we would have just stayed put in Brisbane if i couldn't have done it at TTH) with a place at the hospital,and i got the reply that it would be fine, on 2 different emails.

I really feel like i have been abandoned by Griffith. We moved our family up here after the reassurance that i would be able to do prac up here. I have one daughter in high school and 2 in primary. It was a big deal to do this move.

I really don't know what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dispute it! You have the Uni on record saying it's fine!! Ggrrrrr take it higher