+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel much better after speaking with my course convenor yesterday!

I asked her about this and she was surprised. She said she hadn't had any students who graduated and then struggled to get work. So that was a relief to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    I could've written your post myself! Was very frustrating finishing my teaching degree with honours and not being able to get work other that relief teaching! that there'll be a position when I finish this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry I haven't been keeping up on this thread!
    Thanks for everyones support I also hope I get a 2nd round offer! Although I have gone to extreme lengths to finally nut out my timetable and organise where my dd will be for the bloody 5 days I'm on campus!
    Someone who asked a few pages back I'm studying Bach mid at vu st.albans. Really hoping for a 2nd round offer for acu or monash peninsula. I drive past monash peninsula all the time and 'pray' I will end up there! Haha
    Good luck everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't actually find out from my GP. It was the paperwork I got from Griffith University that I took in with me and gave to him. I did double check with him though. It had a checklist of the different vaccinations. My course for hep b, is one vaccination now, one in a month and one in 6 months time. I don't know about the 12 month one. I know mine is not the accelerated one though.
    Last edited by thepees; 28-02-2012 at 21:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thepees, everyone at Griffith is external. Do you mean students living outside of Brisbane?

Yes, you will have massive issues, as places for students are very hard to come by and usually all spots are full from the universities that have agreements with the hospital.

I relocated from Brisbane once i started the degree and have just found out the same, i cannot do placements at my local hospital so i am re looking at switching to the uni that does have an agreement with the hospital, unfortunately i would have to change to the dual degree and it's not external. My hospital has 13 places for Midwifery students, including the post grads.

I hate to say it, but if the hospital has said no and you have no other hospital you can access, unless you relocate it will be impossible.

I am being upfront because i'm in the same boat, but i started BMid @ Griffith last year . Whats even more of a pain, is that the hospital that has just refused me is listed on Griffiths midwifery course page as being one of the hospitals that clinical placement can be done at.

You do have 10 years from when you start the degree to finish it, so keep that in mind if you think you may be moving to SE QLD in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thepees, what about if you went part-time this year and asked if Griffith could organise a place for you at your chosen hospital for next year?

flowerfae, that is terrible! surely Griffith (Mary) could talk to them for you.

It seems so unfair that they've set this program up to be external & not support their students to get placement!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Flowerfae that sux!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Griffiths stance is that they can't be seen to be advocating for us, we are supposed to do it ourselves but have their backing. I spoke with the head of the hospital today, and it was her that told me they couldn't take me. The cohort that is up here ( BD you will know the students i am referring too), was literally a one off, and they are all nurses/social workers etc already employed by QH.
    The thing is i checked last year BEFORE moving that this hospital would take me and i was told yes, as they were now one of Griffiths partners. Not sure if something has happened with the relationship but the hospital have no intention of taking any BMid students.

I am so beyond gutted. Maybe it's the universe trying to tell me something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will be forced to go part time this year and next year, but I'm concerned about what will happen if we can't move up to QLD in the next year. And it does state very clearly that you will have to organise your own placements if studying externally and away from partner hospitals. What I didn't understand is how little support Griffith would give ME in organising my own placements. Just in terms of getting all of the placement information to forward on to the hospital. I'm struggling to find information from a hospitals perspective in terms of their responsibilities to me in the placement period. I can find info on what I have to do in regards to placements.

Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    thepees, what about if you went part-time this year and asked if Griffith could organise a place for you at your chosen hospital for next year?

It seems so unfair that they've set this program up to be external & not support their students to get placement!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What I didn't understand is how little support Griffith would give ME in organising my own placements.
    I absolutely agree! They really don't give you a lot. Unfair when they are accepting people outside of the partner hospitals!Yes i am talking about Townsville hospital I was told by the director of the hospital that their stance would not change in the next few years. I kind of got the feeling that DEM's in general are not thought that highly upon up here.

I would go part time, you don't do any clinicals (including coc's until you are doing a clinical paper, so maybe you will have more luck with getting your placement sorted by next year? Just keep yourself in the picture with the hospital.

Pretty sucky though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sucks Kirsty!!!!! Funny that u say that about tth not looking highly at direct entry midwives as when I spoke to a manager there about my wish to work there in my new grad year she seemed highly supportive and told me my degree would be looked on well. So that sux that in reality that's not how they feel!!! Eeeeeek I need to work there next year since I'm moving there arghhhhhhh stress!!