+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Me too! and I can't believe it! I am so happy for you! I'll probably see you around campus Eliza! How exciting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    Me too! and I can't believe it! I am so happy for you! I'll probably see you around campus Eliza! How exciting!
    I so wanted to PM you and ask "well did ya get it did ya did ya?!" Like my 6 year old does but thought that might make me look stalkerish lol. SO HAPPY FOR YOU! For us! Woot!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ElizaDoLittle For This Useful Post:

Roopee  (19-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kewok View Post
    Congrats ElizaDoLittle. Well done. And to everyone else who got good news also.
    Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizaDoLittle View Post
    I so wanted to PM you and ask "well did ya get it did ya did ya?!" Like my 6 year old does but thought that might make me look stalkerish lol. SO HAPPY FOR YOU! For us! Woot!
    Not stalkerish at all!! I was sitting with friends waiting for he clock to tick over. As soon as I seen the offer I burst into tears- they all thought it was bad news.
    I had to explain that I was just being an emotional sook!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey face View Post
    This isn't just with midwifery. It is also with nursing. There has been an influx of graduate nurses in the last 4 years- this has saturated the jobs market. What is not mentioned when people say there is a nursing shortage is that there are plenty of nurses, the shortage is in experienced nurses. There are GNP (Graduate nursing programs) which are designed to give that first years experience to nurses so they are then able to get a job (places will only take nurses with 1+years experience). But they are dwindling- 800 out of about 2000 graduates last year got a spot. That's 1200 new graduates left jobless and no means to get that 1+years experience.

To address this, some hospitals have just started halving the hours that are worked in the GNP, so that two can do the job of 1 (20 hours a f/n instead of 40). So if more hospitals start doing this, and you can survive on part time pay for a year, then there is hope if you go to nursing as well as midi (midwives with a nursing degree are also more highly sought after, due to their nursing knowledge). If the uni you are going to don't offer the dual degree, you can do BNUR, then a masters in midwifery, so you have even better qualifications.
    I did my grad year last year (graduated in 2010) and literally every single person I knew from uni got a grad position. It's very competitive, yes, but your uni should be helping you with interviews and you should have enough clinical experience by third year to be able to reasonably confident. Also, you can apply for both public and private sector and double your interview chances!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations Tan And Eliza!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RHJ For This Useful Post:

Roopee  (19-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerfae View Post
    Congrats to all those who received offers and fingers crossed to those still waiting!

I saw on QTAC that the Rank for BMid @ Griffith has gone down to 83. I think it was around 90 when we applied Brunfelsia Dreaming? I'm glad it is becoming more accessible to people

Kirsty
    Yes it was around rank of 90 (maybe little higher) and OP6. 83 is a significant drop. I know over 760 people applied for 50 places.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLove View Post
    Was just reading another thread which was saying there aren't many midwifery jobs once you graduate and you are best off doing Nursing/Mid..... I don't know if that is just in their area, but....

Oh dear, this worries me! I got to the end of my teaching degree and couldn't get work - don't want to be in that position with Midwifery because I obviously really want to make this my career!
    I could've written your post myself! Was very frustrating finishing my teaching degree with honours and not being able to get work other that relief teaching! that there'll be a position when I finish this year.
    Last edited by Brunfelsia Dreaming; 19-01-2012 at 13:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepees View Post
    Tia, I think it's probably for the best you aren't on the accelerated course. I'm just sitting at the doctors waiting for mine and going over the immunisations checklist, and the hepatitis B one specifies in bold writing that that "accelerated course" is not accepted. Just giving everyone else the heads up too.
    Interesting.....I got the accelerated course!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops i had my 2nd accelerated hep b shot on tues. Why dont the doctors tell you its from the 12 mth vaccination that you are immune from. I was told 12 mths is a booster and after the 3rd one they check immunity 4 wks later. Anyone got any idea what happens now for those that on the accelated course?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub