+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLove View Post
    Was just reading another thread which was saying there aren't many midwifery jobs once you graduate and you are best off doing Nursing/Mid..... I don't know if that is just in their are, but....

Oh dear, this worries me! I got to the end of my teaching degree and couldn't get work - don't want to be in that position with Midwifery because I obviously really want to make this my career!
    I believe this is a Vic only thing. That the Vic girls have been unable to secure Graduate positions- which makes it hard for them to then secure any position as they don't have experience. Things can change very quickly really. When I applied for my course 3 years ago (i deferred my first year for a year) they were desperate to get more midwives into the program- then the year that that year graduates- they can't find grad positions for them! So don't stress about it. From what I hear, a lot of the Vic girls have gone interstate to get grad jobs, as there is no shortage of grad positions there.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RHJ For This Useful Post:

Danann11  (18-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thanks RHJ that does make me feel a little better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLove View Post
    Was just reading another thread which was saying there aren't many midwifery jobs once you graduate and you are best off doing Nursing/Mid..... I don't know if that is just in their area, but....

Oh dear, this worries me! I got to the end of my teaching degree and couldn't get work - don't want to be in that position with Midwifery because I obviously really want to make this my career!
    This isn't just with midwifery. It is also with nursing. There has been an influx of graduate nurses in the last 4 years- this has saturated the jobs market. What is not mentioned when people say there is a nursing shortage is that there are plenty of nurses, the shortage is in experienced nurses. There are GNP (Graduate nursing programs) which are designed to give that first years experience to nurses so they are then able to get a job (places will only take nurses with 1+years experience). But they are dwindling- 800 out of about 2000 graduates last year got a spot. That's 1200 new graduates left jobless and no means to get that 1+years experience.

To address this, some hospitals have just started halving the hours that are worked in the GNP, so that two can do the job of 1 (20 hours a f/n instead of 40). So if more hospitals start doing this, and you can survive on part time pay for a year, then there is hope if you go to nursing as well as midi (midwives with a nursing degree are also more highly sought after, due to their nursing knowledge). If the uni you are going to don't offer the dual degree, you can do BNUR, then a masters in midwifery, so you have even better qualifications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummybynature View Post
    I feel really silly but I didn't realise how much prac would be involved in first year until I spoke to my convenor today! I have a few questions to ask. I will be studying at Griffith Uni and going into my first year. I also didn't know that Midwifery begins so early in the year. Our family holiday is actually when Uni starts so I really don't know what to do! How many days will class be on for for those first 2 weeks? I haven't gotten any immunisations, I don't have my first aid certificate, no police check or anything like that because I didn't know I had to. I have only just been accepted so I haven't received my welcome pack. I'm thinking I may have to just go part time for the first year. If I was part time how many days would I be at Uni for those first 2 weeks? Is the Mater an option for Griffith students for prac? Sorry for all the questions but I am in tears over the stress of it all!
    Hi, hope this helps:
    The first 2 weeks are full-time (9-5pm) at Logan Uni. Then it goes 'distance ed' style, with community interactions, assignments and starting hospital placements. Normally allow a day of placements for each 'module' so part-time you'd still need 2 days. Also depends on your 'women' and when their appointments are for you to co-attend...

Blue card you can see the 'Student Services' at Griffith and they will lodge for you - you just fill in the form. Police Check is about $50 and takes a few weeks, but as long as you've applued that should be fine. Immunisations - there is an advanced version (my Dr screwed up and I'm not on this) where you have most of the shots within a month. Be prepared, each shot is worth about $80, no concessions. Ring around first aid and see when you can get in - I am doing mine the friday before orientation.

Don't Panic!! Take small steps at a time - just pick one things to organise each day and you'll be done in a week :-) I've known for a year and still don't have immunisations complete.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tia82 View Post
    Hi, hope this helps:
    The first 2 weeks are full-time (9-5pm) at Logan Uni. Then it goes 'distance ed' style, with community interactions, assignments and starting hospital placements. Normally allow a day of placements for each 'module' so part-time you'd still need 2 days. Also depends on your 'women' and when their appointments are for you to co-attend...

Blue card you can see the 'Student Services' at Griffith and they will lodge for you - you just fill in the form. Police Check is about $50 and takes a few weeks, but as long as you've applued that should be fine. Immunisations - there is an advanced version (my Dr screwed up and I'm not on this) where you have most of the shots within a month. Be prepared, each shot is worth about $80, no concessions. Ring around first aid and see when you can get in - I am doing mine the friday before orientation.

Don't Panic!! Take small steps at a time - just pick one things to organise each day and you'll be done in a week :-) I've known for a year and still don't have immunisations complete.
    Hi guys must so you know you actually have until 11th of march to get all your stuff ready eg immunisations etc. also so you know 3 subjects per semester is considered full time by both the uni and centrelink for ccr and ccb. This reduces your load but means you ned to move things around and you'll probably have to do a fourth year part time. If you do first year part time you'll have to do second year part time as well unless you juggle your subjects that can be moved, I.e don't have prerequisites. Its doable, I have rearranged my entire degree because I did a year of nursing first. Good luck :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tia, I think it's probably for the best you aren't on the accelerated course. I'm just sitting at the doctors waiting for mine and going over the immunisations checklist, and the hepatitis B one specifies in bold writing that that "accelerated course" is not accepted. Just giving everyone else the heads up too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thepees For This Useful Post:

kewok  (18-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does anybody know if I could get immunisations if pregnant??

Thanks
    Reviews
    MrsKB it's highly unadvisable but in the end it's your choice. Google hep b vaccination while preg and you'll find some guidelines on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I got in!!! Bach. Of midwifery @ Newcastle!! Squeeeeeelllllll!!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ElizaDoLittle For This Useful Post:

Roopee  (18-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats ElizaDoLittle. Well done. And to everyone else who got good news also.