+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've always been asked to remove DS from the carrier whether it's the ergo or hugabub. It's SO annoying, because holding him in my arms while I walk through is no different to leaving him in the wrap...and the wrap is essentially like a piece of clothing I think some security guards are a bit OTT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've always been asked to remove bub from my wrap/hug a bub etc

Isn't it funny how things can vary so much with the same airlines

I guess it's not so much policy and procedure, rather who you get on the gate at the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i know Auckland Airport has pram's that you can use to take toddlers to the gate, last time i came home a lady was using one, she was travelling by herself with two little ones. Thought it was a great idea, she had checked all the other stuff at check in and they gave her the stroller to use till we boarded.

Thanks for all the tips, will be writing these down for when we travel with bub later in the year

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    When you fly international you can take your kids car seats on the flight if you have Australian standard approved seats and pre-register them with the airline. That way they can be readily retrained on the plane, plus you can buy a simple trolley lugger from the hardware store and occy strap the car seats to the trolley puller with kid in car seat and simply wheel them thru the airport and onto plane.
    We found this method great as DS was used to sleeping in his carseat and would get wheeled from the plane, through customs and into a taxi without having to get out. He just became another piece of luggage! Great if your going to use the carseat at the other end of the trip anyway. Once they are bigger you can buy your own CARES brand restraint to keep them in their seat.

I also second the recommendation to pack spare clothes for yourself and baby. Plus plastic bags to put wet dirty clothes. I always pack extra nappies and food in case of delays.

Research your airport for layovers etc; is there a children's playground? Where are the baby change facilities? Ie Kuala Lumpur has a playground but it's in the public area at checkin so you can't access it once you've passed through immigration.

Activities on board; drawing, stickers, we tried portable dvd players etc but found the iphone for games and movies was a perfect size for little hands and we have it with us everywhere anyway. Thank goodness for the wiggles. DS likes opening and closing the window shutter and using wet wipes to "clean" everything he can reach. Food which takes DS a long time to eat, sultanas in tiny boxes, popcorn in a paper bag, yoghurt in tubes, ask hostess for a cup of ice etc Keeps him occupied for a few minutes and doesn't make too much mess.
    Try and ask at checkin for any seats with extra legroom or once your on board ask straight away if there are any empty rows available at the back.

Timing flights for nap time can be great, yesterday DS slept for 2hours from Vietnam, DH and i got to have a meal and watch a movie. But a 4 hour delay the week before left us with a grumpy screaming toddler in a crappy airport departure lounge. Sometimes it all works out other days you'll never want to leave the house again!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Pink flower you rock!
    So funny.... I feel your pain and have travelled a bit with my toddler on my own.
    I will brainstorm and give my hot tips

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Witwicky I swear if you lived close to me I would want to be your BFF!
    Youre an absolute crack up! The story about your husband with no shoes is hilarious!!
    We are going to Europe in April so I'll be using your tips as mine only go to a 12 month old.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to october For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (04-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by october View Post
    Witwicky I swear if you lived close to me I would want to be your BFF!
    Youre an absolute crack up! The story about your husband with no shoes is hilarious!!
    We are going to Europe in April so I'll be using your tips as mine only go to a 12 month old.
    PMSL! I'm stoked you want to be my BFF

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks a bunch. There are some terrific hints in this blog. I wish I had posted this earlier because I was stressing a bit before traveling. So next time I'll remember no cows milk, pullups instead of standard nappies, the window seat, slow eating snacks. There are some other great hints here as well which I'll have to read for next time. I must share this story with you which added to the stress of the first journey without hubby. DD was sleepy and lying on my lap when turbulance hit. The air hostess requested that DD sit in her own seat as she was now 2 and by their policy she had to. I told the air hostess. Good luck because she won't. After a minute of me trying to position her in her own seat and the air hostess saying very patiently over her screams, " Come on now sweetie, sit down and draw me a pretty picture" she then realised that it just wasn't going to happen. The air hostess then added, "Fine, i just have to tell you you for legal reasons that she needs to sit in her own seat". I nodded, DD then lay down on my lap and the air hostess handed me an infant belt. Sometimes the law doesn't quite suit a toddler. Poor lady, she was only trying to do her job. At least she tried to help as opposed to the first air hostess. I do agree that air hostesses won't rush to your aid. Pray you get a nice one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Just reading over these again as I'm travelling to France with 2 yr old ds in a month.

Little scary since it's just the two of us, would love advice from those that have done it