+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Buy ear plugs!!! I have huge problems equalizing my ears and so do my girls, found that out web dd1 got an ear infection 2 days after our flight 2wks ago. Dd2 had her own seat, personally I think at 2 1/2 she still needs to sit on our lap! We always fill the iPhones up with DVDs/shows and dd1 will take my phone and dd2 will have the spare. On the way back WITHOUT dh I was fine, 3 kids in tow, 1 8wk old dd3... It was extremely hard but I had a backpack and a baby carrier. AND ear plugs!!!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh and ALWAYS ask if there is a spare seat next to you! It's worth it just to ask, 9 times out of 10 there is one, and it makes the flight so much easier!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Mrs Leto  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing.

We are planning a very long (8hrs + 12hrs + 4hrs) flight in july with DS who will be 22 months. DH and I did it by ourselves a couple of years ago and the travel was hell on earth for two adults, I am seriously dreading taking a VERY active DS along.

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with toddler jet lag? Our time over seas will only be a couple of weeks so in a perfect world I would like him to pick up fairly quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I flew with my almost 5 year old, just turned 3 year old and 11 month old with my disabled father in 2010. After our plane trip we had to catch a bus, then take a train for 2 1/2 hours and carry our luggage ourselves. Needless to say we couldn't take an abundance of things to keep them amused and we are one of those families stuck in the dark ages when it comes to technology so no electronic devices to keep them entertained.

We had a couple of colouring in books, a small pack of pencils and a couple of books for DS to look at. DS (11 months) was the worst because he didn't want to be held but my dad and I just kept passing him to each other and he'd be entertained for a few minutes and then we'd pass him back.

We had lollies for the kids to chew on when the plane landed which they loved and I bf DS for it.

It wasn't the most fun in the world but it wasn't that bad either. DS was just a really awkward age to keep entertained.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing

Doing 2 x 1.5hr flights with a very hyperactive, stubborn and LOUD toddler in two months!

***How's my spelling? Call 1800 iPhone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing. Would love to feel like i can actually go on a holiday in the future with bub, as I've been way too scared to consider it lol. Some great tips in here!

Sent from my iPhone, using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    We too have travelled with our DD on long haul flights from the beginning and there are some great tips here...a few additions though:

Totally agree to make sure you bring a laptop/TV/Ipad whatever for your child to watch - planes have very limited TV shows for toddlers. And download new kiddy apps on your IPOD/PAD to play.

Other tip is to make sure you have something new and exciting (and not electronic) for the take off. They absolutely have to be seated and stay still for the 10-40 mins it takes to get up in the air, so I always have something new to play with (a present to unwrap works well) and a lollipop to head off any tantrums.

Another tip for toddlers is to take pull-up style nappies rather than normal ones. For a toddler/baby that can support themselves, changing a nappy standing up is much easier than trying to use those minature change mats! Although it still requires patience and talent! ha ha

It's interesting that most people recommend travelling at naptime, I do the opposite. I would much rather travel during daytime than overnight. At least in day time I know my DD will be perfectly happy with colouring in/TV/Food, whereas trying to get her to nap is torture if she gets overtired! But all kids/babies are different of course so I would say it depends on how open your child is to napping away from their bed.

Happy travelling!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After 4,5 years travelling with baby, toddler, baby and toddler and 2 toddlers in 8 hour flight plus 2 hours stop over and another 1 hour flight 3 or 4 times a year I learn one thing: Never expecting any help from anyone.Plan that you will do absolutely everything yourself.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lemongrass For This Useful Post:

kel87  (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didnt think you could have a seperate seat for takeoff and landing with a baby as their seatbelt needs to go onto yours altho I could be wrong but during lots of turbulance like we had for our last flight I couldnt leave bubs in the seat next to me (we had 3 seats to ourselves)as she would have hit her head and it would have been hard to feed her. We booked blue zone seats as we always had done before as dh is tall but only found out on boarding that those are out of bounds for kids too as there is no oxy masks for kids in those seats even tho the travel agent was able to book them for us, I guess it depends on how much the agent knows themselves. The baby carriers are great to help with luggage , I had over 50kgs of carry on so no arms to carry bubs lol Those meals in the squeezy packets are great too as you dont need spoons or anything.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 03-01-2012 at 15:08.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My only advice.. BOOK AN EXTRA SEAT! lol

DD spent our 2 hour flight enough the pocket of the seat infront, tearing the spu bag to threads, poking the guy on the lefts glasses as he tried to nap, ripping the book out of the guy on the rights hand and proceeding to smack him in the fact with it :-/ MR right took it very well and tried to help restrain&entertain her, MR Left was furious and kept telling me to restrain her (like I wasn't trying) she also had lots of fun opening and closing the Trey with some force and kicking the seat infront. She was 15mnths.

Next time I'll be buying her a seat. Filling her carry on with toys and snacks and a portable DVD player.

You can also take a small stroller with you for free if a child is traveling with you but it has to go in with the baggage below (not as carry on) so just cross your fingers it's still intact at the other end