+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    its amazing how people all deal with emotion differently.I have a distant relative who worked there.

It makes me so sad to know we are related to someone who participated in such evil.
    So I can not go there. It doesnt mean I dont remember.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (05-01-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    So I can not go there. It doesnt mean I dont remember.
    totally agree - going/not going there doesn't change who you are. I think its a personal thing and if anyone isn't able there they shouldn't do it (I have no idea if I could go through with it - in theory its ok to say yes but who knows)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (05-01-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Thank you London. This is the show I saw. I always intended in getting his book, but was about 38 weeks pregnant at the time and haven't read an adult book since! Will have to buy it as I really did want to read it as his story touched me deeply at the time and I thought he was an incredible man.
    Yes, get it get it get it. I could NOT put it down. As soon as I finished I drove to my dads and gave it to him and ordered him to read it. He is a WWII buff and has soooo many books on the subject. He said this was the most touching story he has read on it. He read it then passed the book onto my brother who read it and had good things to say. Then I got it back and read it again straight away.

As far as people taking photos while there, I can see both sides. We dont know peoples reasoning behind visiting so cant judge their actions. I suppose, to me, its like taking pics at Ground Zero. As long as there is no disrespectful posing going on, then I dont see a massive issue with it.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Californication  (03-01-2012),Ishtyban  (03-01-2012),Witwicky  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I agree London!

Different people cope in so many different ways.
    I took a photo of my mums grave yesterday..then I took a pic of the kids at the grave.
    the kids are smiling and laughing.

Its not disrespect, its me trying to turn it nice.

You do not know that the family were not descendants of people who were killed and took a photo of themselves to represent to them , that the family keeps going.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (05-01-2012)

Veritas is offline Diversity has value.... How boring would the world be if everyone was just like you...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We went and found it to be one of the most powerful excursions of our trip.

Our guide was the grandson of a survivor, which was not revealed until the end of the trip. He told the story in an amazing way that touched everyone, and reiterated how important it is for people to see sites like Auschwitz to avoid complacency and like events occurring in the future.

We took some photos, but we weren't in any of them, and I believe they were subtle and respectful. It was emotional yes but to us it was something so important for us to do.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Veritas For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (05-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand if people are descendants and wish to take a photograph.

I don't agree with tourists taking happy snaps to upload to their facebook (like my friend did). It just does NOT seem right, especially next to photos of them enjoying a wine in the next town. I think it's incredibly disrespectful, and I *personally* can't fathom why someone would take those photos (especially of a gas chamber, or little children's clothes). I have been to several sites in the world where atrocities occurred - I never once wanted to take a photo, even when I felt very connected to the event. This is my personal opinion, each to their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    I've been to Auschwitz & Birkenau.
    I didn't see it as a tourist attraction- and I didn't find either to be set up like that, but more as a place of rememberance & helping this generation to understand the sheer scale of the WW2 atrocities.

Auschwitz is more set up with rooms with suitcases, human hair, shoes etc which is pretty shocking to see the huge amounts of them altogether. Birkenau isn't as well set up but very sobering.

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.
    Same, I found it a very humbling experience, not something I'll ever forget

13. The Following User Says Thank You to samsausage For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (05-01-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read the whole thread but would go in a heartbeat, 'curiosity' and 'tourist attraction' are words that just don't apply to the holocaust.

I would go to pay homage to the people that suffered, i think that by visiting these places and keeping the memory alive, we are validating their suffering, proving that those that suffered were NOT... I can't even say the words... that they were not what the Nazis said they were. Those poor people were treated so abhorrently it defies belief and I think by keeping the memory alive somehow it may help to heal the wounds. By proving how wrong the nazis were. I dunno if that makes sense.

"Lest We Forget" i guess.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    whilst it would be very emotional if I had te chance I'd definintly go- also something I learnt in modern history

17. The Following User Says Thank You to EmPowering For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (05-01-2012)