+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been.

We have no pictures etc of our visit, it felt wrong to take them. Especially after we saw a family have there photo taken in a gas chamber.

It's a sobering experience.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to goldencrumble For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have been. Haven't read the other replies so might be re-hashing others thoughts.

It was pretty incredible to see and I'm glad I went. Me and a guy at the hostel I was staying at hired a local cab driver to take us as we didn't want to do the tour bus thing. He told us all about the experience of growing up in post-WWII Poland which was fascinating. The camps (there's actually 3 there) are pretty intense.

People were very respectful when I was there. I think seeing these things is important because it reminds us of what we as human beings are capable of, so hopefully we'll not repeat something so horrible.

I've also been to Dachau and I would say that was more disturbing as there is a lot there about experiments they performed. I won't go into what they did, it's just awful to think about.

If you're not comfortable about it then don't go, some people do find it too much to deal with. If you think you can though I do encourage you to go. It's an experience you can tell your boys about when they're older and learning about WWII. I imagine I'll tell DD about it in the context of learning about why accepting peoples differences and not discriminating based on race and religion is important.

Poland is a great place to visit and the war is a big part of their history.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe I am a bit morbid, but I have always thought it is important for people to visit memorials etc and feel those emotions. It's my opinion that if we don't keep the memory alive of how terrible these acts can be we leave ourselves open to seeing similar things happen again

6. The Following User Says Thank You to notquitesupermum For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been also. Along with mathausen. It can be a bit of a chilling experience but an important part of history that should never be forgotten and learnt from. I found that the mood there was not touristy. Quite sombre and very respectful to the victims.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ra Ra Superstar For This Useful Post:

notquitesupermum  (03-01-2012),Witwicky  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I haven't been to Poland, but went to a smaller camp in germany.

I doubt I would go to Auschwitz, as I think that it would be upsetting without any corresponding significant educational benefits.

I decided a while ago not to see any more holocaust films either, as I feel I know what happened now and don't want to keep upsetting myself.

However, if I had teenage children I would take them for educational purposes.

Op, if you don't want to go, don't. I can't see that you would regret it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wanted to go, and also wanted to see Hitlers nest as its something i have always found interesting when reading and would like to put places to names etc....my dad said "dont ruin your holiday by seeing it" but then another friend who just got back said she is glad she did, there was a group of teenagers on trips who didnt dare muck up and its not turned into a touristy thing, she said even though it was overwhemingly sad, she didnt feel haunted for days or horrible she actually felt very lucky to have the chance to live unlike the people who she had read about etc and will always think back to what they went through as a reminder to be grateful for what she has. So if we end up going to Europe then yes, i would like to see it.
    But i imagine it will be extremly hard, i get very chilled and haunted watching docos on it like hiroshoma and 9/11 but i think if i was to perish in something like that, i would want people being reminded of how easily it can happen and its not just a story that gets told in clssrooms, to actually stand where those things took place would be a real eye opener, imo.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, phone reposted
    Last edited by notquitesupermum; 03-01-2012 at 08:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I would go in a heartbeat. My favourite book is 'Night' by Ellie Wiesel. I saw him on Oprah ages ago and they went back there to look around....sooo moving.
    Thank you London. This is the show I saw. I always intended in getting his book, but was about 38 weeks pregnant at the time and haven't read an adult book since! Will have to buy it as I really did want to read it as his story touched me deeply at the time and I thought he was an incredible man.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go. I would be a mess the entire time I was there, but I think it is important as a reminder for us to never ever forget the evils that exist in this world.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to liddia For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (05-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by goldencrumble View Post
    I have been.

We have no pictures etc of our visit, it felt wrong to take them. Especially after we saw a family have there photo taken in a gas chamber.

It's a sobering experience.
    I think that's incredibly disrespectful, and it's THAT sort of thing that would bother me. I don't understand why people would feel the need to take photos of a gas chamber where so many people were murdered.