i cannot deal
    with death though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been to Auschwitz & Birkenau.
    I didn't see it as a tourist attraction- and I didn't find either to be set up like that, but more as a place of rememberance & helping this generation to understand the sheer scale of the WW2 atrocities.

Auschwitz is more set up with rooms with suitcases, human hair, shoes etc which is pretty shocking to see the huge amounts of them altogether. Birkenau isn't as well set up but very sobering.

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm in two minds. Intellectually and historically speaking I would love to but emotionally I don't know if I could handle it. Just watching when Eli Weisel walked Oprah through there I was distressed. I don't think I could bring myself to look at the room dedicated to children and the showcase of shoes, hair and artificial limbs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Myztik For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been to Mauthausen. It was very emotional. I don't think I would visit another concentration camp.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went to Sachsenhausen just outside Berlin a few years ago. As others have said, it was more a place of remembrance than a 'tourist' attraction. I certainly did not see anyone disrespecting the site. It is not as well known or complete as I've heard others are though. There were many displays and the audio guide was very good/harrowing but there weren't the big piles of clothes/shoes that other camps have.
    It was extremely sad, but I am glad I went. I think that to forget what happened is to make it 'ok' in some way. I hope that by educating everyone about the holocaust will hopefully prevent such a thing happening again.
    My DH was a bit like you and did not want to go. He does not like reflecting on those things as they make him quite depressed, however he now says he is glad he went.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBeee For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm fairly sure you can find the Oprah episode with Elie Weisel on youtube. Maybe watch that and see how it makes you feel...that might give you a bit of an idea. Obviously it would be much different being there, and seeing those things in person...but the episode is very moving, anyway.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nicoletta For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been and also to two in Germany. My family tree is mostly Jewish and lost a huge amount of people during the war, a great deal were in various camps. For me, there was never a question, I had to go and I'm so glad I did. As others have said I found it very important to acknowledge the past - of course there are plenty of ways to acknowledge it - and try to face what happened as head-on as I could. I felt empowered and proud (and of course, overwhelmingly sad and devastated for) of the people who went through the reality of this attempted genocide. 

I wouldn't worry about seeing any disrespect - it is too overwhelming a place for even the naughtiest teenager to consider mucking up in.

If you are going to be there, I say go. If you find it too hard you can always leave straight away. 

I personally found it inspiring the way that the war is respected in Europe. No covering up what happened, demolishing sites, sweeping it under the carpet. I found it to be very much, "Here is what happened. We MUST remember. We cannot forget and we have to learn from these atrocities". I know it's a different history, but I found it quite shocking and amazing coming from Australia where I feel our sad past is hidden.

Out of all the historic and rememberence sites I visited though, the most overwhelming for me was the holocaust memorial in Berlin. If you google pictures it probably won't seem like much but it was the most valuable visit for me.

Whatever you choose to do I hope you have a wonderful and interesting time on your trip

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (03-01-2012),notquitesupermum  (03-01-2012),Witwicky  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldnt but then I also know what happened when the English won control. My Grandfather was a captain in the british army. His standing orders were to go in a shoot anything (thats the word he used) not redeamable. He could never talk about the war

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AliG For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (06-01-2012)

dillydAlly is offline --> The most precious princess in all the land :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go.... My grandparents are Polish and escaped the war (phew) but also my dad has always bought me up watching War doco's and reading about different battles etc! Personally I would cry, but that is ok, I would consider it a mark of respect to those people who lost their lives so tragically...... I know they have the big museum display of all the shoes etc which just seeing on TV makes me want to be I'll

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dillydAlly For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been. It was very emotional and as others have said it didn't feel like a tourist attraction as such and everyone showed a great deal of respect. It was a very intense experience for us. I didn't take any photos inside and any outside photos I have kept to myself and not published on places like facebook because it just didn't seem right to me. It was an emotionally draining day but I am glad I went as I truly got to appreciate what these people went through and also just how lucky I am with what I have in life.

I would suggest seeing how you feel once you arrive in Poland. Krakow is a pretty place and there are other things to see and do to keep you busy if you decide not to go.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to LilPetal For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (06-01-2012)