+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally, I couldn't go. There is nothing that makes me lose my will to live and turns me into a mental case quite like thinking about that if you think you will regret it then maybe you should, but in my case I think it would do more harm than good.

Sent from iPhone

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chameleon For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (02-01-2012),Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

I do agree that the clothes and shoes display would be incredibly hard - especially the children's clothes (apparently there are very small clothes and shoes on display ). I think it would be incredibly moving, eerie, harrowing...very difficult to see.

To begin with I thought it was disrespectful to see (I really dislike how places like this are turned into tourist attractions), but I have been assured that it's actually a museum, and it's for the greater good, to carry on the memory and history of the atrocities which occured there. And that makes sense. If anything, I will stand at the gates, as pp suggested.

The website states that small children shouldn't attend, so I suppose my sister and I would take it in turns *if* I decided to go...maybe I should just assess it when I get there...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I don't want to go and I never will. I know I will find it extremely distressing and very upsetting. I know what happened, I have read the stories, I have seen it on TV, I don't feel the need to see it in person. I would not feel regret for not going.

I went to Hiroshima last year and I found that very upsetting and sad. It was worth seeing the city and the peace gardens, but I did not go into the museum, I found it too overwhelming as it was without having to see the pictures and relics. Instead I sat in the peace park in the sun and enjoyed how the city has rebuilt itself instead.

Its a personal choice. Do what feels right for you, not what people think you should do. If you feel that it would be too much for you, then don't go.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnyd For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (02-01-2012),Sparklydreamer  (02-01-2012),Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would go in a heartbeat. My favourite book is 'Night' by Ellie Wiesel. I saw him on Oprah ages ago and they went back there to look around....sooo moving.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Californication  (03-01-2012),Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    you don't have to decide yet - if i was in your situation i would look at the website for the musuem and get my head around it all. not only the history but also the motivations of the musuem and see how you feel about it then.

for me, i don't see it as disrespectful. if i was to go, it would be to recognise that every shoe, dress, ponytail, suitcase was connected to a person. Back then they may have felt they passed over with noone recognising the truth. They were invisible. By going for me, it personalises it - they become REAL ppl and are no longer invisible. I think that is why I would go.

I also think that for me until I saw the pictures I didn't quite comprehend how caculated, organised and offical it was. It was a business. I can't imagine how much more confronting that would be seeing it IRL, but I think the juxtoposition between all those individuals and the actual business of the factory.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Farmerwife  (03-01-2012),Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I couldn't go. Just reading this thread has me feeling distressed and teary (children's shoes? I can't cope with that mental picture), no way I could handle being there.

Its a very personal thing though. Go with your gut when you're over there.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparklydreamer For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (03-01-2012),Gandalf  (02-01-2012),Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister went while she was in Europe last year. She said it was quite confronting, sobering and sad, but she doesn't regret it at all. She's said it's made her appreciate how good we've got it, and wouldn't change a thing about visiting.
    Last edited by GrabbyCrabby; 03-01-2012 at 13:03.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GrabbyCrabby For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparklydreamer View Post
    I couldn't go. Just reading this thread has me feeling distressed and teary (children's shoes? I can't cope with that mental picture), no way I could handle being there.

Its a very personal thing though. Go with your gut when you're over there.
    I'm sorry that you have felt distressed reading this thread. It's certainly a very distressing topic, I will get the mods to add a thread warning

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would like to go one day. it would been a very emotional im sure but also very interesting.

i find the jewish museum in sydney to be a quite intriguing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (02-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is somewhere that I definitely want to go when I am in Europe. I went to the war museum in Vietnam and found that pretty confronting.

For me, I need to see things to properly understand them. I had heard about things that happened in Vietnam but it wasn't until standing in the museum that it felt real to me.

I can understand how seeing those kinds of things won't appeal to everyone though.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (02-01-2012)