+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Get one Waterlily!
    I love to read but just don't have time or the cash to go to bookstores and spend:
    1. Easily $100 on 3 or 4 books
    2. Secondhand books are exy now too!

So a kindle has just made it so much easier and cheaper for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely get one! I love the portability of it. And how I gon't get tired of holding up a heavy book in bed. Plus if I fall asleep reading it I don't crumple pages or get awoken by thudding the book on my face. I don't like it when... the battery gets low at the best part and I have to get off my lazy butt and plug it in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DH has tomorrow off so of we have time we will go get one!!

Oh has anyone had any troubles getting some books? I have been told a lot of books are not available in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Oh just a thought maybe they aren't allowed to sell digital copies if the books are sold out? Hmm that doesn't sound right though..rather silly.
    hi waterlily, yeah i dunno, it's a bit strange! i know with downloading ebooks from the public library, only one person can have it checked out at any one time, so even though it's a file not an actual physical book, you still have to wait for the person before you to 'return' the e-book before you can borrow it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi I have just got a kindle and it's the best present ever! I also am/was a book lover and had shelves and shelves!! I'm sure you will love it.
    I haven't had any trouble downloading books. I don't have a 3G one just wifi. I use network at home it's easy. Kindle also have a happy hour each day and the books are very cheap too. When you set up your account you should find info for it.
    I also know another site where books are cheap for download but I'm on my phone so i will post link later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
    i just got DH a sony e-reader for xmas.

what he loves about it:
    * can buy books whenever you want, don't have to wait until you get a chance to go to the library/shops.
    * the screen looks like real paper, it is not backlit, so no eye strain.
    * small enough for him to take to work and read whenever he gets a break (in the car, in the office, in a waiting room, etc).

what he doesn't love about it:
    * the sony e-reader has wireless internet connection but there are only a few stores that are set up so that you can download directly to the e-reader, most of them you have to download to computer and THEN transfer to e-reader. however i think this is different with a kindle?
    * most e-books by his fave authors (e.g. tim winton, richard flanagan, annie proulx, charles frazier) are out of stock everywhere. not sure how an ebook can be 'out of stock'?!

overall DH is very happy and likes being able to pick and choose a book whenever he wants it. i used to be opposed to e-readers because like you, i thought real books were heaps better, but now i have to say i'm a bit envious of his new gadget and i'm thinking of getting one for myself!
    DH bought me the Sony e-reader for Christmas. You can change your country to US to access the Sony reader store, and I believe they will be opening that is Aus in a few months time. I have only searched and downloaded free books via this so far but will be trying later on today I think.

The Sony you can purchase books via borders and angus Robertson and it supports more file file types according to DH. I bought the cover with built in book light too which works great.

I love my new e-reader!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm pretty sure the book depository has e-books for the Sony e-reader.
    (I live on that site) and I know I have seen the Sony e-readers for sale on there so just presuming you can get the books too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Its the top 100 paid/free books on Amazon. I check it once or twice a week and find heaps of new books. Some books arent available here in Australia. Anything by Steig Larrson (Girl with the dragon tattoo etc) isnt available here. You can click on the link and it will tell you whether or not you can buy the book. There are a few other bigger authors that are also not available here

Stephen King
    Nora Roberts
    Janet Evanovich.

This doesnt worry me, the books are a bit too exy for me anyway. If I really wanted to read one I would go and borrow it from the library.
    Last edited by tootiredtosleep; 10-03-2012 at 13:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excellent, thanks for that! I'm going to look now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Books I want to get:
    Game of thrones
    Hunger games
    Tina fay bio
    War horse
    Until Tuesday
    The book thief
    All the vegan cook books

All unavailable!! Argh!! Wth.

All the ebook prices are pretty much the same as to buy the book for book depository. the cost doesn't really bother me tbh but these are books on my list to get and I can't even get them...hmm